Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you ever impress your friends?

We went to this function the other night that had a big band style group in the house: Horns, pie-anno, drums, guitar... The low down was a guy on electric bass, who I watched play for while before I said to my friends, "That guy is subbing this evening. Their normal bass player must be sick or something." This was met with, "How do you know?", "Have you seen this band before.", etc. My Sherlockian skills were based on: (1) Normally, bands like that have a guy on upright. (2) The guy had his eyes on the charts the whole time, rarely looking away. (3) I heard a couple a' missed notes, and some timing that was slightly different from the rest of the band on certain passages. Anyhow, towards the end of the night, the bandleader thanked the bass player for coming to their rescue on such short notice. My friends were duly impressed. I know it's sorta parlor trick stuff, but it got me to thinking this morning: Any good stories on how you impressed friends with yer musical knowledge - NOT your playing ability - brought on by your years of being immersed in music.
Andrew Mazzocchi

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My bandmates are impressed when they see me dragrace at a national event in front of 125,000 people and my racecar customers and friends are impressed when they come to see my band play. Especialy those that know me as a drummer and then see me playing bass and singing lead. I love keeping people interested in me, they never know what I will do next.

Iowa State University's college radio station had a trivia contest once a year; they'd ask a trivia question every six minutes, for 30 hours straight, whichever dorm floor, frat or sorority got the most right won bragging rights for the next year. This must sound like Nerdfest Unlimited, but it was a big deal back then, most guys on the floor would hit the library and check out books, etc, we'd usually have several hundred reference books in the den in preparation for the contest. It did become a big party after enough beer was consumed, but many held out to the end. Anyway, they started playing an instrumental cut and the question was, "Who was the Producer of this record?" Everyone got the "deer in the headlights" look, but the Minimoog solo sounded very stylistically like the keyboardist on George Benson's "Breezin". I dug it out, it was produced by Joe Mixerman, and I said, "If no one else has a better guess, it might be Joe Mixerman (it wasn't a cut from Breezin, but there was a chance...). Well, I was right! Most of the guys looked at me like I was a musical genius; I need to remember that feeling because it'll never happen again! :D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived