Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quality keyboard amp for small home studio?

I need a great sounding keyboard amp for a small home studio (12'w x 14'd x8'h). I don't need to compete with other musicians but acknowledge I might need significant wattage (relative to the size of the room) to get tight, clear low end. I can't imagine I'll need any fx or multiple channels on the amp.(Hey, I'm first and foremost a guitar player.) Any suggestions which amps to look at or to stay away from?

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The mid-size Roland KB-300 would work well. 4 inputs, 100 watts, and decent lows. Another one would be a Bloc 100 by Yorkville Sound ( I'm not sure if it's still made, or been superseeded). Again 100 watts, 3 channels, but a 15" woofer for good bass sound. Jake.

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Hi,

I also recommend the Roland KC100. Make sure you go with a stereo amp as the mono ones sound really muddy and don't bring out the clear tones. I personally had a lot of problems with the Peavey KB100...the spring reverb broke and I didn't even transport the amp all that much out of the house. It also was a mono amp and just didn't sound good. I also hear Fender is making nice keyboard amps too. I hope this info helped. If there's anything else I can help you with regarding musical instruments, give me a call at xxx.

Ro

Originally posted by Ro:

If there's anything else I can help you with regarding musical instruments, give me a call at xxx.

Hi, Ro...

I'm glad to have you here on the forum! I welcome any and all contributions from musicians of all flavors and levels of expertise.

However, I believe that I'd prefer it if you didn't use the forum to try and solicit sales. Others have attempted to do so in the past, and it makes me and some of the other forum members a bit uncomfortable. That's why I edited the contact info out of your post.

Thanks for understanding,

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Of the low-end keyboard amps I've heard, the Roland KC-100 is the best. It is much rounder sounding than either Peavey or Fender's keyboard amps. It's only $299 and can be doubled up to be used in stereo mode.

For a small home studio, my first thought would be that you really don't need a keyboard amp. Keyboard amps, as I see it, are for live playing - to monitor your keys on stage or actually to project your sound to the audience or band members. A set of powered studio monitors would be best suited for any studio. Does this make sense?? Maybe you already have studio monitors. If that's the case, stay away from any Peavey keyboard amp product. They are not very good. The Peavey KB100 is the best of the lot & we see what a previous member had to say about it. I use a Yorkville Block100K (discontinued). They make a pile of different models, inexpensive & small, to full blown stereo mixer combos c/w XLR's, 1/4", & RCA's which I recommend. Yorkvilles used to have a 2 year unconditional warranty. I haven't tried any Barettas or some of more exotic models. But I feel if I was to get something better, I would have to go to rack poweramp & a 2 or 3 way speaker. The JBL power speaker line looks interesting as does the Samson line. Keyboard mag recently did a combo amp review a few months ago. Check their site.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I agree. I am going to used powered studio monitors. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Now as to which ones, who knows. There are a million threads and opinions on that one. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Archived