Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedals- 1,2, or 3

stratman_dup1

Hey all- I'm really curious to hear your pro opinion on something here. As many of you probably know I'm a newbie piano player and have been looking at weighted keyboards for some time know. I currently own a 61 key synth action board which is good for some things but learning the piano isn't one of them.I'm also getting into several octave scale runs and the 61 key board is getting to be a drag as well. On to my question.

I have been eyeing up the Yamaha P-80 but as far as I can tell it only has one pedal input, that being a sustain pedal. On a Piano there are three pedals, Damper, sustain, and quite honestly I don't know what the other one does yet. I guess my question is if I get a board that only allows for one or even two pedal inputs (I believe the Kurz PC2X does)will I be shortchanging myself when I get to more advanced things that utilize all the pedals on a real piano?? I'm very serious about music, and learning the piano, but can't afford a real piano plus much of my practice time is at night when an acoustic piano is not an option.

So to summirize, are their any digital pianos or synths out there that have a weighted 88 key bed and all three pedal inputs other than the "home" variety?? Do I really need all three pedals to play good expressive piano?? My guess is yes BTW.

I am trying to stay away from the "Home" variety of digital pianos because even though I don't have any plans on being a gigging piano/synth player who can say what the future holds. Who knows that in 3 or 4 years I won't want to be a gigging piano player and will therefore need a gig worthy board??

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Phil.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a Piano there are three pedals, Damper, sustain, and quite honestly I don't know what the other one does yet.

The damper pedal is the sustain pedal. The other outside pedal is a soft pedal, which slightly mutes the strings. The middle pedal is called sostenuto. It works like this - if you depress and hold it while you are holding down notes with your fingers, it will sustain only those notes. Any other notes played while the pedal is held will not be sustained.

Do I really need all three pedals to play good expressive piano??

I don't think so.

Personally, I would probably tell you that you don't need the other two pedals, unless you're really going to get into some serious classical piano music - if that turns out to be the case (and that may take some time), the lack of expression in the actual samples will get to you loooong before the fact that you don't have soft and sostenuto pedals, and you'll probably get a real piano.

Actually, I'd have to say that the majority of times that I've depressed a sostenuto pedal in my life have been to demonstrate to someone what it does... http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/realhappy/biggrin_2.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

O.K. Thanks Dave. I appreciate the explanations and input. You've pretty much just told me what my Piano teacher told me but he has no experience with anything but a real acoustic piano so I wanted your peeps opinion, being pro digital players and all. Thanks again

Phil W.

BTW, Given that knowledge I guess my choices have been narrowed to the P-80 or the Kurz PC2X. I could afford the P-80 a lot easier but the controller features and B3 mode on the Kurz REALLY intrigue me. I was also considering the S-80 but I'm not really into programming sounds and that seems to be much more of a *tweak* machine than the other 2 I'm looking at.

Oh, and OOPS!! I meant to say Damper and soft pedals http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

This message has been edited by Stratman on 04-09-2001 at 12:56 AM

Archived