Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worst band names

murph

I struck a few chords with the best band names, so why not the flip side?

My vote: any band that you can actually find on a map. Boston, Asia, Chicago, Kansas, Gorky Park, etc.

Mind you, I don't hate the music (on the contrary), just the band name.

Let me hear you in the back!!!

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are all local bands in my region.

Liquid Stench

Sped Jigaboo- A hip hop band led by a black Special Education teacher

The Special Olympians

The 2 inch softies

The Space Faggots

The Classics Revue

The Sick Tickets

On The Larger Scale Of Things

Britney Spears

Britney Spears

Britney Spears-- Was this name devised by someone who killed their dog with a primative weapon?

This message has been edited by b3wiz@hotmail.com on 03-25-2001 at 08:47 AM

All of the above, plus:

All the names of the bandmembers:

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman AND Howe.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer (sorry guys. not so bad when you only say ELP)

with one honorable exception: SMPTe (Stolt, Morse, Portnoy, Trewavas). What a coincidence.

Name of band leader PLUS band:

Mike & the Mechanics

Frank Zappa and The mothers of invention

Prince and the Revolution (new world generation, whatever)

Chick Corea and the *****ic Band

Originally posted by murph:

My vote: any band that you can actually find on a map. Boston, Asia, Chicago, Kansas, Gorky Park, etc.

Mind you, I don't hate the music (on the contrary), just the band name.

Let me hear you in the back!!!

Hehehe! Don't forget Europe, America, and Japan! Great places, crap bandnames. As far as the music... you be the judge!

ANY band "featuring..." "(insert band name) featuring singer record company decided to invest in at the expense of the band who did all the work and who will be gone even in name on the next album, tough shit boys!"

REO Speedwagon

I agree. Vegetables don't belong in band names:

Eat Your Broccoli (caught them playing in the Texas Tavern in Austin)

The word orchestra doesn't belong in a band:

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Electric Light Orchestra (The Thomas Edison musical guild?)

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (Did they just like looking at their synths' lights?)

Personally I think the name "The Beatles" fell very far short of the band's creativity and impact.

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Hammer Damage(a local band, aptly named)

Putrid Rage(my favorite FAKE horrible band name)

Grand Funk Railroad(they were neither Grand, nor Funky, nor were they a Railroad)

Limp Bisquick...or was that Biz Limpdik?(enough said)

'NSUCK(self explainatory)

BackStreet Boys(On these backstreets PeeWee Herman could kick your ass!)

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Butthole Surfers.

I simply want nothing to do with a band whose name brings up all sorts of weird mental images!

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

Butthole Surfers.

I simply want nothing to do with a band whose name brings up all sorts of weird mental images!

Does this mean you disapprove of bands like Rubber Rodeo, Skinny Puppy, and Dead Milkmen

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

I still think that the most distasteful band name by far that I have ever heard is Scraping Foetus off the Wheel. http://cwmonkey.virtualave.net/s/net4/pukeface.gif

I once read that when you make a creative choice, you effectively eliminate all other choices in the universe, basically saying "This is it." I wonder where this band's heads were at that they picked this as the absolute best name above all others to represent themselves and their music.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Butthole Surfers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man are you missing out. the Buttholes are one the most far out psychedelic rock bands in history. if you have any doubt as their musical validity listen to "Hairway To Steven". Absolutely beautiful.

if you turn your nose at a band because of their name, who are you really dissing? The band, or your own sense of self importance?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by murph:

Well, I've been gigging at Key's Bar in Jackson, MI with a pick-up blues band that the guitar player insists on calling Raw Hog.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Can't you get trichinosis from that?

Oh well...I get paid, and the coca-cola and beer is on the house.

tOdd a.k.a. B3Nut

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

My favorite worst band name has to go to a local band called "We're late and we smell like beer". Yes, that's the name of the band.

Actually, I can't decide if that's the worst, or the best local band name I've heard. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

I've REALLY got to go check them guys out some time.

Wormhole - "if you turn your nose at a band because of their name, who are you really dissing? The band, or your own sense of self importance?"

Thank you.

Any band name that is " and the ", or "The Band"

- Mike & the Mechanics

- Frank Marino & Mahogony Rush

- Robert Cray Band

- Starship Featuring Mickey Thomas

- etc. etc. etc

Band names like this translate into "Mr Inflated Ego and his Minions" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Originally posted by wormhole:

Man are you missing out. the Buttholes are one the most far out psychedelic rock bands in history. if you have any doubt as their musical validity listen to "Hairway To Steven". Absolutely beautiful.

if you turn your nose at a band because of their name, who are you really dissing? The band, or your own sense of self importance

!

Dude, take the worm out of your butt. Stop being so anal.

Wormhole:

I truly believe that music is a spiritual and emotional bridge to the soul. It touches us the way no other art can. That said, I feel that it is something that evokes "class." When a band takes a name like that, then I have to believe that there is no class in what they are trying to evince, hence little reason for me to listen to them. The same is true for the performers that (and due to the times, this mainly applies to women) get up on stage and feel they must do 2/3's of a strip show during their performance. Hence, my lack of interest in Madonna, Mariah Carey, most rappers, et al. They would have a considerable journey to get to the place that Annie Haslam is in my esteem. They also have a considerable journey to get to her level of talent.

Perhaps that IS a testament to my own self-importance, perhaps is is ego, perhaps it is just a philosophy and respect for the idiom I have spent most of my life trying to be a part of. So be it. It's simply the way I am.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

They would have a considerable journey to get to the place that Annie Haslam is in my esteem. They also have a considerable journey to get to her level of talent.

Whao! Joe! My rother! Someone else who knows Renaissance!

Annie RULES!!!! No one has a range like that. Plus, I maintain that John Tout is one of the most under-rated keyboard players in the business.

Any of you who don't know who this is, you should check them out...great stuff. Althougha great deal of their albums are not available on CD (at least in the US), there is a compilation called "Tales of 1001 nights" that will give you an idea.

The song "Mother Russia" is my personal fave. I still play it.

dB

Dave:

"A Trip to the Fair" has got to be my all-time fave. I was lucky enough to see them at Carnegie Hall, and never have I been so swept away by a live performance.

A little aside for those of you unfamiliar with Renaissance: Annie Haslam, the lead singer, has a six-octave range, and at no time does she ever get screechy like Mariah Carey. A level of control and ability that really needs to be heard to be believed. When she doubles guitar or piano parts, it is truly incredible to hear this woman sing.

John Tout's technique and subtlety was always under-touted. (Sorry about that!)

"A Trip to the Fair" has got to be my all-time fave.

"Scheherezade" (the album that song is on, for you uninitiated) is a great album - definitely one of my faves. I actually managed to find it on CD (Japanese import). If you don't have it, let me know, and I'll burn you a copy.

Too bad that they decided not to release the live album on CD, though...yeah, I know - most of it is on the "1001 Nights" compilation, but not the live version Scheherezade with the orchestra. I've heard that they hated that version - I loved it. Bummin'....

dB

I hate when I do this to myself...

I have today off due to "Confederate Memorial Day" which, being a "Damn Yankee," my boss said I could take off, but not celebrate, and rather than enjoying the day out doing something, now I'm listening to the "Tales of 1001 Nights" CD.

But DAMN, they're good. The "Prologue" really shows off her voice.

OK, for you kids, some pics of how a Prog band looked in the 70's! (Renaissance)

http://www.enteract.com/~nlights/lib/gallery/ren69.jpg

http://www.enteract.com/~nlights/lib/gallery/prog77.jpg

http://www.enteract.com/~nlights/lib/gallery/illfot.jpg

(Courtesy of Northern Lights, the Renaissance web site - http://www.enteract.com/~nlights/index.html )

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 04-23-2001 at 12:37 PM

Archived