Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Triton prog. editing

innesireinar

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a Triton (and any other product that I know other than Kurzweil) if you want edit a Program that is within a Combi, you must leave Combi Mode, go to program mode select that program and edit it.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

On a Triton (and any other product that I know other than Kurzweil) if you want edit a Program that is within a Combi, you must leave Combi Mode, go to program mode select that program and edit it.

I had a SY85 and you could edit the different programs that was in a combi.

The bad part was that if you changed it, every combi using the same program was also altered.

For Kurz it's possible to save the new program and keep the old.

If that is possible with a Triton I can't tell.

------------------

--Smedis,--

Triton is the first and the only kb in my possession that has this minus.

On virus you can make this, on the old yamaha Tx 802 (I love it) you can make this, on Proteus series you can make this and on many others kb.

I think this is a limit when you're working with sequencer in multich. mode and while p. e. the bass is playing on ch. 1 you want to edit the pad on ch. 2 without muting bass line and mantaining combi individual assign sources for the right processing on the console.

In preproduction i think this feature very useful because until you haven't write on disk you can change sound (and its parameters).

What about to do this by an editing software ? Which one ?

Sorry for my english

Ranieri

Smedis,

You're probably right, but I don't think Yamaha's current products do this.

I don't think so either.

That's why I only use Kurzweil's http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

--Smedis,--

All Alesis QS synths also give you this ability...to edit a program from within Mix Mode, hit the edit button twice.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I do wanna say this, though...

Because of the fact that the Kurz is always in multi-mode, it is pretty much the only one that I use for more than one channel...oh, yeah - the Proteus, too. I just don't want to take the time to think about setting up a Mix/Combi/Performance/Whatever, and with the Kurz, it's not an issue - it's just always right there.

What makes this situation (or maybe just me) really peculiar, that if I want to use more than one sound from a synth I'm more likely to record its audio signal than I am to set up a M/C/P/W...

YMMV.

dB

My mileage DOES vary. The Triton has excellent features for copying effects from programs to Multis (on the rack) or Seqs (kbd) mode, so you can get programs in multis to sound exactly like programs in Program mode - a feature I've been searching for for years.

Kurz has a lot of nice options, like holding the effects constant as you scroll through different programs. The default mode used to drive me nuts, though, because I'd have channel 1 active (program and effects), then I'd go to channel 2 to adjust its program, and the effects changed. Arrgh! Also, when I would play a song that I hadn't worked on for a few days, I could never remember which channel I should keep active (i.e. on the display) to get the effects right. Again, Kurz gives you the ability to get past this with some tweaking (and a THOROUGH understanding of their effects architecture), so it's not a showstopper. Triton seems a little easier in this respect, because once you define the effects in a multi, it doesn't change when you move from channel to channel.

Where was I going with all this? Oh, yes! I ALWAYS work in multi-mode, because it gives me the option to compare sounds in context. If I set up pads on channels 4-8, I can easily compare them by changing the sequencer's channel destination for the Pad track. I agree that Kurz is SUPER-EASY in this regard, as long as you don't count on the effects sounding right. I don't understand why someone would praise the Kurz for always being in multi-mode, but refuse to use multis on other synths. Multis are a way of life for me, and I'm in multi-mode except when I'm auditioning programs (to add to the multi) or when I'm building a program from scratch.

I agree that Kurz is SUPER-EASY in this regard, as long as you don't count on the effects sounding right.

I don't. I rarely use the Kurz fx.

I don't understand why someone would praise the Kurz for always being in multi-mode, but refuse to use multis on other synths.

I'm not praising the Kurz, nor am I refusing to use multi-mode. I'm just saying that I find that it's my natural inclination to shy away from it.

I think that I just don't want to take the time to do that extra step of creating a multi-patch when I'm trying to compose music - I'd rather select another synth. Plus, I prefer to use a variety of sound-generating engines in my compositions. It's just a matter of preference.

It may very well come from the fact that I spent so much time doing ROM plays and demos for the Alesis stuff, and was forced to work in multi-mode. Perhaps I'm just unconsciously rebelling...

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

It may very well come from the fact that I spent so much time doing ROM plays and demos for the Alesis stuff, and was forced to work in multi-mode. Perhaps I'm just unconsciously rebelling...

dB

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Rebel away!!

The K2500 has another useful feature, apart from the the fact that you're always in multi mode, you can also build a set up which gives you the possibility to recall the right sounds on every ch., out assign etc.

FX: I think external fx (I have tc 5000 and an old PCM 70) are better than internal Triton and K25000 fx.

Ranieri

The Kurzweil does this nicely. But the coolest implementation of this I have ever seen is on the Roland JV1080 family of synths. In Combi mode, the edit buffer actually includes copies of all 16 programs as well as the combi itself. In other words, you can load up a Performance (in Roland-speak), and edit all 16 programs in it without saving any of them to disk. You can then sysex-transmit the edit buffer to your sequencer. This is all without writing anything to disk. So, when you start up your sequence, you can transmit this Performance edit buffer to the synth, including all 16 programs. They all go to the 1080's edit buffer, nothing on disk gets overwritten. It's so incredibly cool, every synth should work this way. I was delighted when I discovered this.

This message has been edited by guestuser@guestuser.com on 03-23-2001 at 10:40 AM

Archived