Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyfax Twiddly bits... good or bad??

Has anybody used these? It looks like an interesting alternative to cd's with audio loops as you have a more flexibility, since you can reassign patches, transpose, etc.

Let's try not to turn this forum into a 'music made with loop cds is not real music... ' ;-)

The prices seemed to be pretty reasonable, around $ 30. Music is a hobby for me and I like to experiment with different things. I'm curious to see how this would integrate with my own stuff. How is the quality/variety?Any thoughts? Good bang for the buck?

If people don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link.

http://www.synthony.com/Products/twiddlybits.html

Thanks,

Rod

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the disks are a great buy for $35 (street price), especially for a beginner/intermediate player. I've used them many times on jingle work on everything from bluegrass (sequenced banjo picking)to dance-style tracks. I have the General Instruments Vol. 1, the Programmer's Toolkit, and both the Guitar and Guitar Grooves disks. The guitar material is very good. Try the Vol. 1 for a variety of stuff like drums tracks, horn riffs, guitar parts, etc.

• 5 months later...

I find Twiddly Bits useful also - I used to use the guitar ones all the time. Particularly useful if you are collaborating with someone using GM, so you know roughly what they'll sound like the other end.

------------------

www.mp3.com/thirdstoreystory

I think they are invaluable for saving time. Gets a song up and running quickly, and you can always track something yourself later. I recommend them, Rod.

I used to use a variety of their drum files, but more recently have moved to audio drum loops. That says more about the quality of the drum sounds on my primary rompler, than how I feel about the quality of the midi files, actually. I still use the guitar stuff a lot.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

This message has been edited by Tusker on 09-21-2001 at 08:21 AM

Originally posted by Tusker:

I think they are invaluable for saving time. Gets a song up and running quickly, and you can always track something yourself later. I recommend them, Rod.

This thread is soooo old that in the meanwhile I did get two. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Hell, I even managed to change handles in the meanwhile! I got the guitars and the the general instruments module. I like it a lot. I just found the local GC (sort of, up at Concord, I don't go to the one in San Jose), so I might get more. It's been very useful, specially the bass parts - they do a neat trick of adding some slight pitchbend to the bass lines which make them soooo much more realistic.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am gonig to be 'mobile' for a while, so I do need some stuff so I can sketch out ideas so I can get back to actually playing and composing in a few months.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived