Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Triton Organ Sound

analogman1

Hello,

I played the Korg Triton yesterday - it had a few Hammond sounds that had a high end "scream" that i just can't get out of my VK-7. Any thoughts???

Maybe they're using a certain effect or EQ??? Your expert opinions are always welcome!

Thanks,

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello there.

Well, I play Hammond Organs, and what I can tell you is that the Vk7 was created to emulate a Hammond and it needs a Leslie or a very nice amp to hear the best sound. But, the sounds of the synths (like triton) they don´t need nothing, just plugg it to the mixer and that´s all.

Try to get a Leslie or a tube amp trough your Vk7.

Maybe you can´t get the sound that you want because the drawbars stuff. Try different kinds of them, like 888000678 or even 888555888.

If it's a specific Triton organ patch, check it out a bit: see if there's an enhancer in the FX chain, or if they're using a reverb that places the sound into a different space. Then, once you've seen what they're using, see if you have anything laying around in your studio that can help out your VK7. For instance, my Yamaha MU90R has an Aphex Aural Exciter algorithm that I tend to forget about sometimes.. maybe you've got an effects processor that's got something with a bit of "bite" hidden in it.

The other thing to consider is overdrive: the Roland's got a drive knob, and it can get dirty, but whether it can "scream" is another issue. While you play with the overdrive knob, make sure you also play with the drawbars to see what color of grime you decide to add to the tone. If you're looking for screaming tone, make sure you pull out the higher drawbars.

And then of course there's the idea of tubes.. adding a real tube distortion unit could drive the VK into the right space without making you spring for a full MotionSound or Leslie stack. There are a few tube distortion pedals around for $300 or so that could defintely be useful..

Archived