Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help with the KORG N364

industriac

I use the korg n364 as my only piece of equipment to compose my music and it is a decent synth, but it is kinda hard to do certain things.

So, i have a question to ask.

How do you add effects on to the instruments in the sequencer mode? The sounds dont have any effects on them in sequencer mode, while they do outside of it. I would really like to add effects to the sounds as they dont sound great without any effects.

thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is inherent on most sample playback synths. When you play one patch by itself, it's usually programmed with all the available effects. But then if you want to use it with other sounds, you have to sacrifice the effects and sort of reprogram them to suit all of the different sounds that are going on at once. Let's say a given patch uses all 3 of the available effects processors. In sequencer mode, all 16 tracks have to share those 3 effects processors. So you lose some of the flashy effects that go on in the single mode. What you have to do is decide what kinds of effects will be best for the mix, such as reverb, chorus, maybe something a little more obscure here and there. A lot of newere synths also have Insert effects that could be applied to just one or two patches for something special like distortion. I don't know whether the N has that or not.

If, on the other hand, you're sequencing with just a couple of patches, there should be some parameter that allows you to copy the effects from a given patch into the sequencer's effects assignments. I'm not sure exactly how it works on the N but that kind of function is integral to making the sequencer section sound similar to the single program section.

I hope that helps.

I forget exactly how to do it, but you're correct: the N's are using one voice's effects for the entire sequence. Somwhere in there you designate the effects channel, and whatever sound is on that channel is the one that sounds right! You're asking for too much when you ask a simple synth to do more than a couple of effects at a time. I thought it was revolutionary when the Trinity gave you up to 10 at a time... floored me!

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

You're asking for too much when you ask a simple synth to do more than a couple of effects at a time. I thought it was revolutionary when the Trinity gave you up to 10 at a time... floored me!

...and then, along come the nice folks from Novation, who put out the SuperNova, which is capable of doing up to 7 effects on each of 8 channels for a total of 56 simultaneous effects.

Talk about ruining the bell curve... http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/net7/icon_smile_lachuh.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

thanks for the help.

But, there is still a problem. When i add the patches to different tracks there are no effects on them. So, I go to the edit mode of the sequencer, and I add some effects. Strangely enough, the patches still sound like there were no effects on them.

Also, about copying effect parameters, the keyboard can do that. I looked at the manual and then tried to copy the parameters into my current song on the sequencer. But, again, nothing changed, the patches still sound like there are no effects on them.

If anyone who is affluent in using the KORG N364, tell me how to copy the effects parameters as the manual doesnt help very much.

...and then, along come the nice folks from Novation, who put out the SuperNova, which is capable of doing up to 7 effects on each of 8 channels for a total of 56 simultaneous effects.

Dave, this is what I was trying to get at when attempting to re-revive the "Too much polyphony" thread. At this point I'd rather have Supernova/Virus style simultaneous effects than more polyphony.

Dave, this is what I was trying to get at when attempting to re-revive the "Too much polyphony" thread. At this point I'd rather have Supernova/Virus style simultaneous effects than more polyphony.

I'm actually fully with you, Steve...personally, I think 128 voices is about enough polyphony, and I too would love to see synths be able to retain their effects when used in multi-mode.

I rarely use synths in multi-mode anyway, unless I'm stacking sounds....but I might be more inclined to do so were this the case.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived