Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What OTHER Magazines do you read?

Steve44

I am a devoted Keyboard Magazine reader. I think my subscription has like 3 or 4 years to go on it. Keyboard is just perfect, and I love it.

I also subscribe to Electronic Musician. I find it substantially less than perfect, thought not really all that bad. It used to be worse. Usually what bugs me about it is that the articles don't have consistent editing, so that they don't quite seem to recognize how intelligent their readers are. I remember one article that was supposed to be on Web Audio Formats but spent most the time talking about Downloadable Sounds. Plus sometimes the reviews look like nothing but product information with very little "In Use" testimony. I've lamented on this in the past, but eventually always renewed my subscription, just because sometimes they review something earlier than Keyboard, sometimes, they have a feature article that's worth reading.. so I kept on.

But that's all the magazines for me. I've tried both Mix and Recording, but decided not to stick with them because all the pretty pictures might draw me away from Music and I don't want to be an Engineer. What other magazines do you guys read? Sound on Sound? Mix? Piano mags? Guitar Mags? some other stuff I can't remember? Heck, maybe even Music & Computers... no maybe not. I always think of that one as baby Keyboard.

I am also thinking of subscribing to one of the German mags, either Keys or Keyboards, especially since I've seen the Musikmesse notes and realize what a big scene they have over there. (And it's a good excuse to brush up on my Deutsch-sprechen)

I'd really appreciate hearing what mags you guys read and why you like 'em.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve...

I'm a big fan of UK magazines actually... - Sound on Sound, The MIX (UK) and Future Music - I love all of them http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif... Yep, they are kinda more expensive http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif, but full of interesting info...

------------------

http://www.mp3.com/arseny

This message has been edited by arsenius@hotmail.com on 03-14-2001 at 01:51 AM

I hate to say it on this forum because its disloyal, but Sound On Sound is my favorite music magazine! As an American, I pay roughly half of what it costs for me to subscribe to Billboard, but its worth every penny!

I was a charter subscriber to Contemporary Keyboard, which of course is now Keyboard. I let my subscription lapse during a few years in the 80s, because I was on the road a lot then, but I love Keyboard and have subscribed to it for most of its existence.

Im actually a subscription junkie! In addition to the three magazines I listed above, I subscribe to Audio Media, Electronic Musician, EQ (the current issue, 2/01 is especially good), Gig, Mix, Music Connection, and Recording. And those are just the music magazines! (I wish that I could still subscribe to Musician, but alas, its gone!)

I also subscribe to: MacAddict, MacWorld, Newsweek, The New Yorker, Los Angeles, TV Guide, Consumer Reports, The Bottom Line, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, and Spin.

Are twenty-one subscriptions enough? I guess not, because I just spent $17.95 to start receiving Pro Audio Review.

Somebody please help... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I've subscribed to Keyboard and Electronic Musician since the mid-eighties. I think EM is informative and I've learned a lot about recording and gear from that rag. Keyboard seems to change every few years. There have been times when it is really good and other times when the quality and quantity of articles is pretty bad. Their gear reviews are pretty objective and I rarely disagree. The Craig Anderton articles are excellent. Too bad he isn't more knowledgable. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I think Sound on Sound is the best at the moment. It is expensive, I pay $10.95 at the newstand. The amount of information in one edition is pretty impressive. The whole look and feel just invites you to read it. I can read Keyboard and EM in 15 minutes but I can spend hours reading Sound on Sound.

I've been reading Bass Player for a few months and I like it.

I subscribe to a Swedish musician magazine and have done that since early eighties. It covers the range from drums to computerized music.

It's nice as toilet reading.

The best magazines I know of is Keyboard (US) FutureMusic (UK) and MIX (US) but they are not so easy to find and they are expensive as hell. I pay 9-12 dollar for each of them.

I would like to see SOS but haven't seen it anywhere in Sweden.

------------------

--Smedis,--

I read most of the mags (Recording, Mix, EQ, keyboard) but the one I like most is Tape OP and, in the US, it's free! Very cool mag they got there and it's got a good bit of low budget recording tips in there, for this real world (ie broke) engineer it's a great read.

I'm like you. I've been reading Keyboard since about 7th grade. I also have a subscription to EM and Mix. If I could afford a few more subscriptions, I would add EQ, Tape Op, and probably something non-technical like Billboard or Rolling Stone. I can usually read everything I want from magazines like Recording or Home Recording while I'm waiting for my wife to finish looking through the fashion mags. I think I might add Performing Songwriter to my list. I got an issue the other day and really enjoyed it.

I've been subscribing to guitar player for several years now and really enjoy the mag and plan on keeping my subscription going. I'm a fairly recent convert to the piano and just started receiving Keyboard a few months ago. I love that mag, great reviews, good articles, I especially like the way they add in techy stuff like sequencing software, using loops, Studio sense, etc... and all that. I know it probably erks you serious piano/keyboard players, I'm sure you'd rather see more stuff dealing with your instrument of choice, but it works for me http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I've considered adding mix or eq to the list but have to agree with Steve44 on this one. I just got into recording, bought myself a little hard disk recorder, couple mics, some software etc... and have had to kick myself in the a#* to quit woryying about the recording stuff so much and PRACTICE. Being able to record my music is the reason I got that stuff in the first place, not to become a recording engineer. Can't do that if I'm so out of practice that I can't play my instruments!! So it's back to the practice regimen I go and will pick up whatever recording knowledge I can when I have time.

Sound on Sound (UK) is definitely head ans shoulders above the American magazines. I have had an eSub electronic subscription of the past two years. LOADS of great info, and they really let you know how they feel in reviewing gear- no reading between the lines, either. The eSub is much cheaper than the newstand.....hopefully SOS will do something about bringing themselves over here, but I would miss the UK ads.

-Marshall

I've been reading Keyboard for more than twenty years, and I've been a subscriber for five or six years (their overseas services was a bit messy, so I gave up the subscription but didn't stop buying it).

I think Keyboard is a great magazine, but a few years ago it underwent a period of... lowered standards, so to speak. I remember seeking for vital info in the product reviews, and discovering they weren't there. Some examples from memory: The Yamaha EX5 review didn't mention that the VL section is monophonic; the Akai DPS12 review didn't have the bit resolution of the machine's converters; the E-mu Esynth review was done on the rack version and didn't mention what controllers the keyboard version have. (I could have some of those wrong, but they're only a few among many that come to mind)

Also, in that period it was all technology and little actual music, and as an "old-fashioned" musician I was a bit disappointed.

Now the situation a quite a bit better, but I still feel that a few more actual "keyboard/piano PLAYERS" in the staff would help.

Look, I'm not trying to bash Keyboard, I think it's still the best music magazine; only pointing out what I'd like to see in it.

I think Electronic Musician really grew in the last 3-4 years. It is still a bit unbalanced in quality, but a very useful reading.

In Europe, we had for a few years a fantastic music magazine, it was called European Musician, it was done mostly in Germany, and it was a really in-depth publication. Unfortunately, it was short-lived, the Italian version at least. When I read that Keyboard was starting a collaboration with Peter Gorges, I rejoiced; he was on European Musician too, and he's one of the best educators on synths.

Among the Italian music magazines, I read Strumenti Musicali sometimes and it's good, but usually I find the same things better explained in Keyboard and Electronic Musician.

my 0.002

marino

P.S. - I'm under the impression that my English is worse than usual today.. apologies to everybody

I'm dropping my subscrition to Keyboard. Every issue is the same as the last. I think they peaked between 1986-1990. Those were exciting times. I've kept most of my old Keyboard issues and from time to time I'll look them over. The older ones really were better - I wish I could explain why.

Anywho, I agree with some other posts re: SOS. That is a good mag. I wish it wasn't so expensive - $10 U.S. is a bt much for a magazine.

Andrew

Andrew,

even though I wasn't subscribing then, I agree that those back issues are wonderful. But I still think there's a certain magic that Keyboard has that others mags just don't. Even now that I'm so engrossed in Harmony Central and other web based news sources so that I've seen everything there is to know about both Namm and Musikmesse, I still long to see what Keyboard says.

Marino, you're right about the E-Synth, in fact I didn't even realize there was a keyboard version until last year because it wasn't mentioned in that review! I'm not so single-minded anymore (hence this thread) but on the other hand, the period you're talking about was also the time when I was just getting addicted to Keyboard, so I'm not sure what to say...

I doubt harmony-central would have too much of a financial fallout as they have private endowment from the OTHER Microsoft owner.

Plus I could've sworn that they gobbled up our good friend Marvin Sanders when Riffage was looking Shaky.

Archived