Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital Pianos - Advice Needed

RKP

Hello - I'm interested in buying a digital piano, and after one day of reasonable research, the Kaiwa MP9000 and Yamaha P200 seem to be getting consistently high remarks. Anyone have thoughts on these particular models, or suggestions of other models in a similar price range? And, can anyone recommend websites that sell digital pianos for the best prices around?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Between those two, I personally prefer the sound and feel of the Kawai. If you don't need the onboard sound system, then that would be my recommendation. It's got quite a bit of favorable press as well.

Your hands and ears are still going to be the best judge by far, however - they're the ones that'll be spending the time with it. Whichever one of those two you go with, though, you'll end up with an excellent instrument . Definitely a win-win scenario.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

If I hadn't already been writing posts here for way too long, I'd go grab the thread for this from a couple weeks ago, but instead I'll post this advice: look in the next few pages on this site, and find anythign having to do with Piano sounds. There's tons of info and opinions around on this stuff, a lot of it that I've written http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif.

The MP9000 _is_ my current favorite. Its action is great, and its sound is warm and full bodied. And it's got that slick silver finish. I'm not personally fond of the Yamaha, although many others are. Similarly, I don't particularly like the Alesis DG8 but others really do, including Big Dave. If you can find the new Roland RD150 you should check that out. I've always liked their RD100 and they seem to have updated it a bit and made it cheaper in the RD150, which is only $999. The Roland RD600 is also a great sounding piece, very close in quality to the Kawai MP.

Feel free to email me if you need any purchasing advice.

The Roland RD600 is also a great sounding piece, very close in quality to the Kawai MP.

...and it's probably going bye-bye, so watch for discounts and blowouts. Roland showed the RD700 at the Messe...

Quick overview - 128 voices, 16 part multitimbral engine, their version of the graded action keybed like the Yammy P200, 64MB internal ROM, expandable via two SRX wave expansion boards, big display, sympathetic resonance algorithms and same fx as the 3080, arpeggiator with 45 styles including guitar strumming and more. Light, too...only 24 kg.

Didn't get a price or a ship date, though...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

...and it's probably going bye-bye

Yeah I just saw that on Harmony Central this evening. The 700 looks like a darling.. basically a cross between the XV88 and the PC2X. I'd love to have that board with an ExpressionMate ribbon on it.. then it would be a super Roland PC2x http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Actually, Roland had already slashed the prices on the RD600 in August. They didn't do a good job at telling anybody, however. I don't know what they did to the list price, but they dropped the cost by $500, so that even before the 700 was out you could easily buy a 600 for $1350. Now I just wonder how low they can go...

Archived