Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ugh... backing tracks

Is it legal to extract vocals from CDs you own? Can you even do that? I've seen ads for that. Does it extract just one track or what? When you see small acts using backing tracks, are they likely using midi files or some type of actual audio file / MP3 file? Reason I ask is because I am 90% sure I am hired for New Years Eve, solo act, me all by my lonesome, guitar and keys. I gotta have about ten more good rocker dance numbers. I've got a pretty good playlist of tunes I've done up on my keyboard with backing that I've done on my own but I'm running out of time to learn them well. I don't need ballads, but danceable fast songs. I'm thinking of buying a Nashville Tele, which I need anyway, and working up 10-15 new dance numbers.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most I've seen use MIDI, but I used CD tracks to do a few quick 'n' dirty solo things. Not MP3s, either - real CD audio. My sister-in-law (famous in some circles) also uses CD tracks of her songs to do performances where she can't have a band. I made them myself, so legality wasn't an issue - if you were to extract vocals from a CD & use the tracks, though, then you'd be violating the copyright of the original sound recording. Now, you could always grab some karaoke discs & use those - they would be selling their recordings for that purpose, public performance.

[quote]Originally posted by Dr Zarkov-Capasso: [b]Wait a minute - that sounds like.....karaoke !! Why not hire 10 of us to come back you up? Tom[/b][/quote]Haha, yeah... would you play for $27 New Years Eve? (These people don't care what it is as long as it sounds good. I'm a nobody and for now, it'll have to be some songs done totally live (ballads) and for danceable uptempo, some type of backing.)

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Duke, Midi is probably the best way to go. There are lots of "free" midi stuff out there, and some "pro" done material. The advantage of the "free" stuff is, uh, it's free... but the disadvantage of "varying" degrees of quality. If you decide to use this, here's a website, (one of hundreds) you could try... http://rock.mididb.com/ They've got a lot of free "classic rock" and links to pro material as well. Keep in mind you'll have to open these files in a MIDI software editor to be able to edit and change the tracks, sounds, tempo, key and so on... the good news is, you CAN do all that. If you need to replace an entire track with one you perform, you can... whatever works. The advantage to the "pro" material is that it's, well, PRO. You can expect much more correct playing of the songs and parts, better choices on instruments and more... plus part of the money goes back to the songwriters, (and I know from some of your other posts you support the copyrights of the materials). You need to be comfortable with the sound bank that's playing back the MIDI files. Your keyboard is right on the edge of "quality"... not bad, not state of the art. A big step up might be to get a decent module or pro level keyboard. A Roland JV-1010 or something similar may be a good step up in sound quality... Good luck, c

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by cat-o-nine-guitplayer: [b]...The advantage to the "pro" material is that it's, well, PRO....[/b][/quote]Any tips on a good source for pro-level midi? I can work this out (my arrangements) on my own (eventually) but I'd feel more comfortable if I could rapidly buy 10-20 more kick butt uptempo numbers. The Roland synth module... uh, remember I know hardly anything about gear... how does that interface? Rack-mounted, it goes between what and what? Would my keyboard provide me control over whatever it does or does my keyboard just access its voices or what? Thanks.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Yes, cat-o-nine, that helps! Thank you. I understand more now. BTW, my keyboard has a floppy drive. I _have_ downloaded some midi files and put them on floppy to play them. Some are horrible but some are decent. One of my most important next steps is I need to get some software to edit the midi files.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Archived