Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Dave Bryce

So, I've been having some fun with cover tunes lately. :cool:

Here's a rough mix of Reeling In The Years I've been working on for a while. I was lucky enough to get some pretty great players to do this with me, including Spock's Beard/Tears For Fears drummer Nick D'Virgilio, N/S stick/bass playing machine Don Schiff and John Stack, lead guitar player for Pink Floyd cover band Which One's Pink.

I think the mix is mostly, there, but it definitely needs tweaking. Any feedback would be most welcome... :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Reeling was great, db. One of my all time fav tunes. I always liked covering that and My Old School. You know what I really grabbed my attention with yours?....the background vocals, of all things. That's a killer hook anyway, but the way you guys sang it was great. Just sounded like everyone knows how to sing parts together. As soon as I heard Laura's vocal, my jingleness went, "that's a money voice." She's perfect for a lot of things. Hey, and what can you say about Nick. He's just a bad dude. It was funny to see his name. I had a good buddy over for dinner last Sunday. He's a drummer and we played together in the '70's. He's been playing in Nashville for years now and has been working for Ronnie Milsap for the past 15. Rodney can play anything and he "is" drums. That night at dinner we talked shop and the conversation went to Spock's Beard and Nick. Great player and again, great job on the tune.

Cool! Is that the 'stick through the flanger? If so sweet! If not, still cool!

If you mean the pulsing bass synth line, that's the PEK running a tempo synced pattern on the internal step sequencer that gates the amp, with me playing the pitch on the keyboard with one hand and manually controlling the filter sweeps with the mod wheel with the other hand. The stick sorta plays along with it in the choruses, but no flanging - just a hair of chorus and distortion.

Are you using the PEK in the bridge?

No, the PEK is busy doing that bass pulse the whole song. but I am using a four other ones on the bridge. On the first go round/melody line, the sync sound is the K2000 stacked on the Korg M3 with John also doubling the line on guitar. The harmony is the Macbeth stacked on the P'08, and John also doubling that line as well.

The four other instruments I used were the JD990 doing that swirling pad, the ES8 doing the flanged EP, the Ensoniq MR76 doing the auto-wah clav on the verses, and the MKS70 doing these subtle synth brass parts that're most apparent under the clav on the verses.

Reeling was great, db. One of my all time fav tunes. I always liked covering that and My Old School.

Ahhh, My Old School - my absolute favorite Steely Dan song to cover, both from a playing and singing POV (I love belting the high harmony). Both of the bands I play in do it. :cool:

You know what I really grabbed my attention with yours?....the background vocals, of all things. That's a killer hook anyway, but the way you guys sang it was great.

Cool - thanks! Laura and John really do sing very nicely together - makes it so easy when you've got such talented people. ;)

As soon as I heard Laura's vocal, my jingleness went, "that's a money voice." She's perfect for a lot of things.

Indeed...she also did the chorus on the version of Comfortably Numb I'm doing.

Her main gig right now is demonstrator for TC Electronic. She does killer demos - next time you're at an MI trade show, go say hi...here's her web site...

Hey, and what can you say about Nick. He's just a bad dude

Yeah, he is. He did that shit in one take, and then laid down the drum track for the Genesis tune In The Cage (also slated for my upcoming CD) for me in two takes. :eek::thu:

He and I have played together a bunch - for a while there, we were doing road shows for Alesis, him on the DM Pro kit and me playing an Andromeda, a QS7 and the ill-fated DG8 digital piano. That was some fun. :D

Thanks for the comments, guys! :wave:

dB

David,

Your website seems to be down. :(

:confused:

Not when I click on it...?

I did have a problem with Broadjam (they host my site) recently. The solution ended up being me needing to clear my browser's cache. Maybe that's what's happening with you?

dB

Thanks guys

suraci, I'm just running into a JBL EOG G2. The Leslie sim on the XK-3c is lightyears beyond the one on the XK-3. It even sounds great in mono. Although it's not quite as good as the Nord sim, it's still top notch.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hey wjwilcox - I'll be playing in your neck of the woods at the end of August at BB's

I'll be sure and post a thread closer to the time I'm hitting the road

Sounds like fun...I'll be out of town for a few days around 25 August but otherwise would like to check it out....

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Thanks guys

suraci, I'm just running into a JBL EOG G2. The Leslie sim on the XK-3c is lightyears beyond the one on the XK-3. It even sounds great in mono. Although it's not quite as good as the Nord sim, it's still top notch.

I have two Eon g2 15's- i had only one till recently.

I own a cx3 korg- do you know any tricks or tips to get that korg to be better balanced in the tone? I can get gobs of bass, but then when i press the pedal I don't get the screaming thing. I cannot find cx3 users anywhere.

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown