Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why are all great keyboard players MALE?

LiveMusic

Seems that all of the greats are male. I wonder why that is? Same for guitar but one could argue the guitar is more of an agressive male thing. Not so for keyboards. Plenty of women play piano. Is there some kind of left brain, right brain, Venus/Mars thingy going on?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Seems that all of the greats are male. I wonder why that is?

Diana Krall might take issue with that...as might Marian McPartland, Suzanne Ciani and Barbara Dennerlein, amongst others. I've heard some seriously amazing female piano players down in New Orleans, as well...my friend Laurie Z manages to make a pretty decent living tearing up whatever room she's playing...and then there's that lady who plays piano on Aretha Franklin's songs... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Also, if you live in the Boston area, there's a band called The Love Dogs that features a woman named Alizon Lissance that is one serious kick-ass keyboard player.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

There's those mentioned above, Katia and Marielle LaBecque, Laurie Anderson, and this woman in a band called "Over The Garden Wall" that is a Genesis Tribute band, and who is absolutely AWESOME.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Male keyboard players rush in where angels fear to tread. Sorry guys, I ain't EVEN gonna put my two cents in on this one- one way or the other. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

This is sort of off topic, but have you noticed (if you're into classical music) that 99% of all symphony conductors are male. The only female one I had ever seen was my Harmony teacher.

Generally, I've found that women tend to look at music as more of a hobby or passtime, but men seem to be more passionate and take it more seriously than just as a hobby, but of course, it's different with all people.

Mike

I can't let this one go without mentioning one of my favorite artists: Kate Bush. Though she's shoehorned into the singer-songwriter category (understandably enough, as she does this quite well), her keyboard and production chops are major. Go and check out "Hounds of Love" and you will see...

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I can't let this one go without mentioning one of my favorite artists: Kate Bush. Though she's shoehorned into the singer-songwriter category (understandably enough, as she does this quite well), her keyboard and production chops are major. Go and check out "Hounds of Love" and you will see...

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Howard:

The reason is that organs and leslie speakers are mechanical things. That means only men should play with these things

WHAT??? Hope you're kidding, Howard!

Ok, Ok - I haven't had time to participate in any discussions lately (been rebuilding the studio), but I've GOT to jump in here.

Billy Joel, who ripped up the keyboard a couple of weeks ago in concert with EJ, said he didn't understand a bit about synthesizer technology when he introduced his keyboard player, and I can name scores of male players who don't either.

It's a darn shame there aren't more women synth players, but they're certainly out there. Anybody ever hear of Patrice Rushen? Or Bette, who plays with one of the finest backing bands out there, Whitney Houston's? And I have some girlfriends with MIDI rigs who kick pretty serious musical butt.

I don't want to go into a whole historical thing here, but I will tell you guys that I have experienced plenty of discrimination growing up as a female player... and if I didn't love to play so much, I probably would've given it up LONG ago. And no, I don't sing. I play. (how many times do I get asked if I'm a singer still?)

Even in retail (hey you retail guys out there), in the old days when I walked into a large chain store in a big metro area that will remain unnamed, I was repeatedly completely ignored as a customer, and asked by one salesman (this when I was about to blow 4 grand on my first PA and keyboard system) where my boyfriend was so he could tell him about the gear.

When I was asked to work in music retail, one of the things I looked forward to was reversing that attitude...but that was a long time ago.

And yes, when I was playing my wireless remote on one gig, I was kidded about not really playing. OK - would you have said that to a man? (no!!!)

Playing synths is a different skill than playing acoustic piano, and I just think more women need to be supported and encouraged in this direction. But it's not a brain thing - I know guys who can't set their VCR clocks! It's an experience thing. One of the coolest things about doing what I do is when a little girl comes up and sees a woman playing and can dream about doing it too - so I can be a roll model for her.

When I grew up, there were very few women roll models in rock and roll, so I learned from the guys. BUT IT SHOULDN'T BE LIKE THAT. I think there always have been great keyboard playing females out there, but perhaps they didn't find the spotlight due to a lot of factors - and not necessarily their playing.

The day that I longed for (and finally achieved) was to stop hearing "You play pretty good for a woman" in favor of "You play well!!!"

And btw, there's a cool publication and organization for women musicians based out of Seattle called "Rockrgrl" - if you guys want to see life from the other side, check it out.

As a ten year old child prodigy, Maria Ann Mozart was accompanied by her younger brother Amadeus on concert tours of the European cities. The siblings amazed listeners by performing brilliantly, improvising (and more so in the case of Amadeus) playing pieces they had written.

Amadeus was younger, cuter and had written some compositions early (and was a boy?). More doors were opened to him. Maria Ann was overlooked. Instead of pursuing a career in composition and performance like her brother, she became a music teacher and later married.

What if she had matured into a more brilliant composer than her brother? Ok, how about even a fraction of his stature? It was a huge loss to society and music. Imagine the great things she could have contributed.

Perhaps a reason that the "great keyboardists" are not women, is that we (society) have not recognized greatness except in certain shapes and sizes. Our loss.

Regards,

Jerry

This message has been edited by Tusker on 02-26-2001 at 12:24 PM

The thread is BS.

I could just as easily say, "Isn't it strange that almost all of the famous keyboard players are dead/white/European? Can't living players/other races/other nationalities learn to play the piano well?"

How can anyone grow up in this day and age and not intuitively understand this?

I don't know any famous piano players. But of the piano players I know, most are female and the best are female. There isn't anything stopping females from being great, but there are discouragements and ignorance to overcome. When it's so much easier for men, of course they're going to be a majority.

I study the brain fulltime. The only evidence for any difference in cognitive abilities between males and females arises when averaging over 100s of subjects. Even then, the difference is barely measurable. And really, spatial reasoning is probably the only widely accepted cognitive difference. And I doubt that figures much into music.

Originally posted by lauriez@lauriez.com:

WHAT??? Hope you're kidding, Howard!

Ok, Ok - I haven't had time to participate in any discussions lately (been rebuilding the studio), but I've GOT to jump in here.

Billy Joel, who ripped up the keyboard a couple of weeks ago in concert with EJ, said he didn't understand a bit about synthesizer technology when he introduced his keyboard player, and I can name scores of male players who don't either.

It's a darn shame there aren't more women synth players, but they're certainly out there. Anybody ever hear of Patrice Rushen? Or Bette, who plays with one of the finest backing bands out there, Whitney Houston's? And I have some girlfriends with MIDI rigs who kick pretty serious musical butt.

I don't want to go into a whole historical thing here, but I will tell you guys that I have experienced plenty of discrimination growing up as a female player... and if I didn't love to play so much, I probably would've given it up LONG ago. And no, I don't sing. I play. (how many times do I get asked if I'm a singer still?)

Even in retail (hey you retail guys out there), in the old days when I walked into a large chain store in a big metro area that will remain unnamed, I was repeatedly completely ignored as a customer, and asked by one salesman (this when I was about to blow 4 grand on my first PA and keyboard system) where my boyfriend was so he could tell him about the gear.

When I was asked to work in music retail, one of the things I looked forward to was reversing that attitude...but that was a long time ago.

And yes, when I was playing my wireless remote on one gig, I was kidded about not really playing. OK - would you have said that to a man? (no!!!)

Playing synths is a different skill than playing acoustic piano, and I just think more women need to be supported and encouraged in this direction. But it's not a brain thing - I know guys who can't set their VCR clocks! It's an experience thing. One of the coolest things about doing what I do is when a little girl comes up and sees a woman playing and can dream about doing it too - so I can be a roll model for her.

When I grew up, there were very few women roll models in rock and roll, so I learned from the guys. BUT IT SHOULDN'T BE LIKE THAT. I think there always have been great keyboard playing females out there, but perhaps they didn't find the spotlight due to a lot of factors - and not necessarily their playing.

The day that I longed for (and finally achieved) was to stop hearing "You play pretty good for a woman" in favor of "You play well!!!"

And btw, there's a cool publication and organization for women musicians based out of Seattle called "Rockrgrl" - if you guys want to see life from the other side, check it out.

Yes, I was only kidding when I replied that because oragans are mechanical things and that only men should play with them. I work in a predominately male occupation that of police officer. We have two females out of a total of 21 officers in my small town department. They can do just about everything and one of our male officers can do,some better. I don't really care if you're male or female I just want to hear great rock organ playing. With all the synths and keyboards available today I still have a fear in my heart that the sounds of the mighty Hammonds and the newer wannabee sound alikes will sadly fade away into the past. So whether you're a guy or girl play your organs hard and loud and remember to Rotate

(reference to leslie speakers) Love all Howard

I completely understand where you are coming from! I still get the "you are pretty good for a woman" crap. When I went into my local music shop and asked for a cable that would hook my workstation to my computer (audio-Y 1/4" stereo so I can plug into my sound card) he had no clue what I was talking about and called me a freak. I laughed so hard it hurt! Yeah, I am a freak so watch out!!

What about Tori Amos ? She's been doing 'pretty well' over the last few years !

BTW: I loved the post from Tusker. What an amazing thought. If Maria Mozart had become a famous composer the world of music, as we know it today, would be completely different. This thread would have probably been called "Why are all great keyboard players female ?"

Bassment

Because I'm not famous in the States yet. Give it another year. Then I'll invite you backstage, so you can eat your words, babe.

Why wait? Do you have MP3s of your stuff? Post them in the "Let's Hear It!" thread...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived