Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boxes Running on Batteries

Murky Bog Demigod

I wish the Korg EA-1 ran on batteries. I'm looking for a fun synth that runs on batteries for airplane trips. Somthing like an EA-1, or MC-303, or SOMETHING that runs on batteries. I'd like to have something to use as a musical scratch pad. Something besides a laptop.

Does anyone know of any synths (or soundsources) that run on batteries and are small enough to fit on one's lap?

Thanks in advance! -MBDg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna HATE myself for saying this (I can't stand the DJX's, any of them!!) but I read today that the Yamaha DJX-IIb (The box version) can run on batteries...... if that's your sorta thing, look into it. I would imagine some of the things such as the Yamaha MU modules and the QY sequencers would run on batteries too. I also read about a Zoom PS02 recently... which is a small recording studio basically (palm-sized) it has drum and bass accompaniment (I think) and has inputs for all kinds of other stuff.... It looks like it runs on batteries.

------------------

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son; that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

There is a device made by roland that was marketed as a musical scratchpad.. it was the PM300 I think.. I know the PM is right, I can't remember the #'s after it. It was a GM/GS module with a pen-interface for inputting chords and stuff. They're not really around anymore, though if you're interested in one I'm sure some roland rep could dig one up out of a warehouse somewhere...

Like that product, there's yamaha's QY10, 15, 70, and 100.. but those are pretty cheesy.

But I think you're looking for something like the Boss DR. Sample, the SP-202, or its new big brother the SP-303. Both are decent sample/groovebox units, but they're really quite pathetic in comparison to an Electribe, especially the ES-1. It's funny that you bring this up, because I was thinking of inventing a battery pack for the Electribe series.. I never got around to it, but I figured it shouldn't be that hard, since the input is supposed to be 9Volts DC, so all you would need is some kind of adapter to go from a 9 volt battery to the DC jack on the unit. You could try asking somebody at Radio Shack if this is feasible...

One other unit for airplane rides is the little GM module that attaches to a palm-pilot of Visor. It's only like $75 and I think it comes with software for inputting notes and stuff.. of course the palm is extra. I think there's also a Palm software that's just a midi controller, giving you faders and an X-Y pad.. something I wanted for a while until I decided I didn't want to be a Palm-maniac.

This message has been edited by Steve44 on 02-24-2001 at 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Steve44:

There is a device made by roland that was marketed as a musical scratchpad.. it was the PM300 I think.. I know the PM is right, I can't remember the #'s after it. It was a GM/GS module with a pen-interface for inputting chords and stuff.

I think it was called PM5, if memory serves...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Thanks guys...

Steve44 - I had the exact same idea. In fact, that may be what I go for. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a simpler solution before I do the engineering. If/when I get it done, I'll let you know what works.

KeyboardFreak - I don't really dig the Yamaha DJX stuff either. I like to have more control and be able to use the stuff I make in a final quality project. The battery powered seqeuncers make a lot of sense, though. I went down that road a long time ago when I thought I was going to be in Europe for three months.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the new Yamaha DX200 and AN200 boxes?

• 2 weeks later...
The little beast by Roland is the Personal Music Assistant-5 ( PMA-5). Runs on 6 aa's, 28 voice poly, 21000 note sequencer, 1/8" headphone out. Thank God it's got MIDI out/in, because trying to input notes on the glass keyboard eats it. I use it for a sequencer while playing cocktail hours ( can hit the food line and the porcelein in plenty of time ), and as a GM/GS module. Use decent headphones and it sounds great. Also works on cruise ships...........JK.

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Archived