Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is DB?

I was pleased to see the little acknowledgement of Dave Bryce's role in the Keyboard community in this month's issue. Dave, your input and moderation in this forum has been awesome.

However I must admit that I know nothing about you. How did you come to get this post? Have you written for Keyboard in the past? What (besides collecting synths http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif ) is your profession? I'd love to hear lots of stuff about your background and what kind of music you make.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by steve44@visto.com:

I'd love to hear lots of stuff about your background and what kind of music you make.

Well, hopefully the rehash of my introductory post will answer most of your questions. As to the music part, I'm really into a whole bunch of different styles of music. My earliest influences were the Beatles and classical music, both of which I still love. I spent the 70's worshipping at the First Progressive Church of EmersonWakemanBanksEtc, but I am also a huge fan of R&B, funk and good ol' rock and roll. I'll listen to just about anything from Art Tatum to Radiohead, pretty much...I actually working on a somewhat eclectic solo album right now.

How about you?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

How about you?

Dave,

Thanks for the reply and for the archive. Sorry I posted this while you were away at NAMM http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif. I noticed a blurb that suggested you used to work at E.U. Wurlitzer - I worked at its namesake this past summer and fall in what used to be the Underground. Now it's G.L. Wurltizer, basically a boston location of Gordon-Lasalle. Business was pathetic all summer as no one knew we existed (there was no grand re-opening) but it picked up eventually..

As for myself, I am 22 and have been obsessed with synthesizers since I was about 10, although I didn't really get to play with one until High School. I had a year with Mr. David Sears who now works for NAMM and then read everything I could get my hands on for a time, including tons of Keyboard mags from the 80's. I am a total Keyboard Mag fanatic and have read it cover to cover for about 7 years. I am now loving this forum because I just love to talk synths. Unfortunately it is mostly all talk since I haven't had the opportunity to really get into nearly any of the gear. It's all Oberlin's fault for not giving me any money http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif.

Music-wise, I'm into some strange stuff, and was rather late at acknowledging that dance music is interesting. I mostly own recordings of Balinese music and complicated jazz and classical stuff but am beginning to supplement my poor CD collection with mp3's, the radio of the new millenium. I've played piano since I was 4, had my fallouts with the instrument when I was teen, but since I've been in college have been immersed in free improvisation on the piano. It is the most important thing in the world to me, more than synths, more than food even. I'll have a website up shortly. I play around with my synths, but haven't composed too much on them, for reasons I can't exactly justify. I'm now in a Graduate Electro-Acoustic music course at Brandeis outside of Boston and very excited to compose tons of strange atonal tape pieces. We're hosting a bunch of stuff for the Boston Cyberarts festival which promises to be amazing.

I plan to have a career similar to yours... doing as much sales as I can stand and being involved in synth technology, although since I'm not an Engineer nor a software programmer I'm not sure that'll happen.

Anyways, as you may have noticed, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS FORUM... I apologize for how long my posts get, but I really love to talk about this stuff and really feel at home here, even if I don't have a studio full of synths. Thank you for your intelligent comments and for helping to make this place so cool.

Steve

Originally posted by steve44@visto.com:

Anyways, as you may have noticed, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS FORUM... I apologize for how long my posts get, but I really love to talk about this stuff and really feel at home here, even if I don't have a studio full of synths.

No apologies necessary, my brother. Your participation is fully welcomed and totally appreciated.

Thank you for your kind words, BTW. I'm really glad people seem to be into the forum, and I'm very grateful to all of the people who have contributed to it.

My continued thanks to all of you!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

To steve44-

It's nice to have young people on this list.

I feel compelled to give you some advice. Buy some old analog gear when you get a chance, before they become too collectible and the prices get out of hand. Today's virtual analog synths are an attempt to capture the magic of "real" analog synths of the past. In my opinion they haven't even come close (flames welcome) Some of the new stuff today is wonderful, with tremendous real time controllers and excellent MIDI implementations. However, they haven't come up with anything with the warmth, balls, and magic that say an Oberheim Expander, Minimoog, Roland Jupiters, etc. have.

Having said that, I should explain that as much as I love analog, I love sample-playback synths even more. For me, 1987 was the year that I felt that synthesizers had really arrived. The Roland D-50 was the one that really got to me. The Korg M1, Kurzweil, Ensoniq VFX, all were really exciting. I do get a little nostalgic about that time. You really did have the dream of an orchestra at your fingertips, or at least that's what the advertisers said.

SteveRB

• 6 years later...

Archived