Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Harold Rhodes Tribute

Hello All,

Over the xmas period I learnt that one of the real legends of the music business, Mr Harold Rhodes, had dided at the grand old age of 89. Mr Rhodes of course was the man whose name was synonomous with electric pianos that were used on literally millions of songs/records/CDs etc..

The rhodes was and still is my fav instrument of all time, I still can't bear to play sampled synthesized versions, they're *not* the same.

The rhodes piano ceased production in 1985/6 and since then we've heard rumours of all kinds of comebacks. Recently I heard that a new rhodes was going to be shown at NAMM. Keyboard Magazine are apparently going to be doing a tribute for Harold at NAMM along with some of the rhodes best known players... who could these be???

herbie perhaps? Chick, George, Joe, Jan even?? look I don't even have to use their surnames!!

What do you all think of the rhodes sound and what are your fav musicians and music with regard to rhodes.

Some recs...

1. Freddie Hubbard - Keep Your Soul Together

2. Herbie Hancock - Thrust

3. Chick Corea - Light as a Feather

4. George Duke - Brazilian Love Affair

5. Jan Hammer - Oh Yeah

peace

Neil

http://www.fenderrhodes.org/rhodes/supersite/pictures/stage2a.jpg

A beautiful Rhodes Mk2

• 10 years later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil

Welcome to the Forum

There are hundreds of Rhodes-related threads in here. Do your search and you'll be satisfied! There aren't many questions concerning the Rhodes that haven't been answered... It's a busy subject!

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I was reading the first post thinking, 'I'm sure he's been gone longer than a few months'

You've unknowingly created a hole in the space time continuum by replying to this thread. There's a possibility im going to walk into my keyboard room and be looking at an XK2, Alesis QS7 and Korg Trinity.

Hehe.. I think (though not 100% sure) that was my post from 2001! But thanks for the belated reply... :D

We've come a long way in 10 years though regarding the rhodes... who would have believed there would be at least 2 electro mechanical pianos in production in 2011? :D

Yes, I was only 25, I don't know where the years go! Funny how back then I was hauling s C3/122 round, and now I just laugh at the idea.

Now is a good time for the Rhodes fans.

Speaking of which, I took mine to a chap this week to leave for a service (midlands UK) he had some in for repair, one a silvertop, never seen one up close before. He also just got a Mk7 in red.

In 2001 I was in my last year of my BSc... wow..

I was 32 and worse still, I didn't even have a rhodes back then as I sold it to go to uni or more accurately sold it to purchase some Korg module that served me well in my regular gigging band back then as it was my only means of making money...

well that and selling my old vinyl on ebay... :)

Speaking of time travel, I've often wondered what Harold Rhodes would think if one of us could go back in time and tell him: "In the unimaginably distant, futuristic year of 2011, keyboardists will be playing incomprehensibly advanced computer-based instruments which, if you could play one, would make you weep with envy; it would seem to you that there was literally nothing it couldn't do. And yet in that time, some of those keyboardists will decide that some of those indescribably amazing keyboards aren't worth owning, despite all the mind-blowing things they can do, solely and specifically because they don't sound quite enough like the electric pianos you're building in your garage."

Oh man, i started a memorabilia thread without my intention :)

BTW, i was "only" 32 at the time, and had a nice time with my then-group playing reggae and funk

Sure, time flies away fast...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Archived