Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Overrated Song...

Notice, I didn't say MOST overrated song, as these "Most..." this or that threads never seem to narrow things down. And as one person's candy is another's caca, toes will be stepped on. But that's only half the fun! So, with that, I offer only three... "Stairway to Heaven". Not a bad song, really. Not ALL overrated songs are BAD. Just more has been made of them than they deserve. And THIS one fits the bill. In view of Zep's entire body of work, how this one became so envenerated is beyond me! "Layla". If Duane Allman had lived, he, as did I, would have been boggled by those who celebrate his "great slide work" on this thing. So much far better examples of his slide can be found in so many different tracks! Sounds like he's having trouble seeing the frets! And that second section? Exceeded only by Skynard's live "Free Bird" ending solo in the "Too long, too boring" category. "All Along the Watchtower". LOVE Jimi! LOVE Dylan as well! But, this was never the best example of both. As it's on Jimi's "Electric Ladyland," it is easily outshined by many other selections on that LP. Just LISTEN! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, you just crushed every hope and every dream I ever had for this world. Not only are these songs not overrated, but you just plain suck....nah, jes kidding. I too sometimes turn them off because I've heard them too much that week. But nothing compares to that new Dave Matthews song, anything my that Mayer guy, and that new U2 crap (love the old U2, saw them in concert), but just not good anymore. Plus anything new that sucks generally gets turned off anyway.

glad we're not in a bar discussing these 3 (GREAT)songs...i'd be gettin medieval on yo . ...and to not mention DUANE 'SKYDOG' ALLMAN in the kindest most positive guitar light is simply wrong. (got a feelin you just wrote that to be controversial and raise the hairs... s :cool:
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Layla is aight, Stairway is good, and I'm impartial to the other one. All are overrated, I agree. Missing from the list is "Another One Bites the Dust/WATC" which I also love.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I can't believe you said All Along the Watchtower. Jimi's opening to that song alone is outstanding! I might nominate it for most overused song in Vietnam war movies, but not most overrated.

[quote]Originally posted by Roto: [b]I can't believe you said All Along the Watchtower. Jimi's opening to that song alone is outstanding! I might nominate it for most overused song in Vietnam war movies, but not most overrated.[/b][/quote]Dito Roto! All Along the Watchtower is a wonderful track. Way way better than Dylan could have ever done it. (That's true of many Dylan songs)

Y'all missing the point. I don't hate those songs (except, maybe "Layla"). Just not the rock "holy icons" they've been made out to be. As for Duane Allman...if he had lived, i think several people wouldn't have given so much reverance to "Layla". I never SAID his slide playing was crap. Not overall. But, there are DOZENS of better examples of it elsewhere instead of that song. And Clapton's "Unplugged" version doesn't help it, either! Whitefang

`Hotel California`-incredibly repetitive psuedo-flamenco pop that should have been played and then shelved, but noooooo-it`s like `the thing that wouldn`t leave`. `Old Time Rock an Roll`-even Seeger`s gotta be sorry he wrote this by now.

:o uh, yeah...that's who i meant... :D of course, that just goes to show how much i pay attention to the song or who was responsible for it's existence....Don. his name could be Buford K. Hucklebutt for all i care....the song still bores the shit out of me. IMHO of course... ;)
0096 2251 2110 8105

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Scatta-MOUCHE! Scatta-MOUCHE! Can you do the fan-DANG-go? :bor: :o :( :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]Aw man. Ya beat me to it. Not that I hate Queen but after 10 zillion airplays the harmonizer enhanced vocal of the band singing with a thousand versions of them selves and even Brian May's guitar solo reeked of :bor: Loved when I first heard it but sheesh :rolleyes: <> [img]http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/smile18.gif[/img]

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Wait a minute - you mean there was a harmonizer on that track???? For me, it's always been Hey Jude. I think it's an OK song, but so many better Beatle songs from that era deserve the fame... I'm glad to be the first to say Freebird We all hate it when the song is called, but even from a non-musician standpoint, was it really the best of something? If I don't hear it for a few years, I enjoy hearing it, but.... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

How about an OVERRATED SEX SYMBOL??? My vote goes out for Jennifer Lopez. Is she good looking? Yes. Does she have a nice body? Yes. Is she exceptional among other good looking girls with nice bodies? Hell no! What's the big deal over her anyway? If it's the 'Latin' thing, Shakira has more going for her and -aside from her PHENOMANAL ass-shaking ability- that isn't really saying too much. Boy, I'd insure that ass for a million dollars though! :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Boy, I shouldn't even read threads like this! I get a little worked up! :D I completely disagree that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is an overrated song. In fact, until Wayne's World came out, I considered it to be a vastly UNDERrated song. I mean, no band has ever even come close to its epic composition. ...And someone is claiming that a harmonizer was used on that song??? Which harmonizer were they using in 1975 on Queen records? Please provide your source for this information. Thanks. And, by the way, it's "Scaramouch." ;)

[quote]Originally posted by Scary 8: [b]How about an OVERRATED SEX SYMBOL??? My vote goes out for Jennifer Lopez. Is she good looking? Yes. Does she have a nice body? Yes. Is she exceptional among other good looking girls with nice bodies? Hell no! What's the big deal over her anyway? If it's the 'Latin' thing, Shakira has more going for her and -aside from her PHENOMANAL ass-shaking ability- that isn't really saying too much. Boy, I'd insure that ass for a million dollars though! :thu: [/b][/quote]J-Lo certainly gets my `overrated singer` award. If she had never picked up a microphone I think every little butterfly would still be beating its wings the same. Not bad as an actress, tho...

[quote]Originally posted by Dr Zarkov-Capasso: [b]Wait a minute - you mean there was a harmonizer on that track???? For me, it's always been Hey Jude. I think it's an OK song, but so many better Beatle songs from that era deserve the fame... I'm glad to be the first to say Freebird We all hate it when the song is called, but even from a non-musician standpoint, was it really the best of something? If I don't hear it for a few years, I enjoy hearing it, but.... Tom[/b][/quote]I WAS going to come in and add those two, Tom. Especially the "live" version of "Freebird"! So I'll just slap on "Let It Be"! Whitefang

[quote]Originally posted by Count dracuBunny: [b]no band has ever even come close to its epic composition[/b][/quote]HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! Epic composition?? What? Are you suggestion that the Raphemeon Buttsody ranks up there with the Ninth Symphony or the 1812 Overture? AAAAAA-HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! What a joke!!! Epic composition is not particularly salient in the rock/pop world. That said, several songs kick BR's arse in compositional extravaganza terms. Roundabout A Day In The Life Aja Hemispheres 2112 Frankenstein American Pie (there, I SAID it) :D The entire Dark Side album The entire Pet Sounds album

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dan, dude, chill out, man! :D You're gonna give yourself a hernia with all that CAPITAL LETTER LAUGHING! HAHAHAHAHAHA! :) But, seriously we were pretty much only talking about rock songs so far in this thread. I'm not comparing anything to classical composers. If you read my post again, you'll see that I clearly stated that "no band" has come close to the epic composition by Queen. And I already conceded the point about Yes to Hippie. Okely-dokely? ;)

My bad about the harmonizer comment. Seems like Bohemian Rhapsody was recorded at least four years prior to the invention and first documented use of the Vocal Harmonizer. Sorry all you [b]Bo Rhap Queen fans [/b]. http://www.kingenqueen.com/crownjewels/borhap/Boraparticle.htm I apologize for mis-speaking, mis-writing and fast fingering without fact checking. [img]http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/edoom/puppy_dog_eyes.gif[/img]

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Archived