Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most MISPLAYED Stones song?

Just to prolong this enjoyable Stones foolishness a bit further: [b]What Stones tunes are most notoriously covered - INCORRECTLY?[/b] All-time champ has to be "Jumpin Jack Flash" - no one does the way cool Wyman B pedal-tone riffing, let alone the Open E Keith R. guitar part. Seems like the Johnny Winter And version is what most people learned back in the garage! Second, maybe "Honky Tonk Women". Fuggedabout the Open-G Keith part, what about the bass players that have never noticed they're supposed to [i]lay out[/i] during the verses? :rolleyes: Third, maybe "Get Off My Cloud". Silly little single-line lead part always missing, no one ever notices the real bass line, & just TRY to get your drummer to play: Thump-WACK ThumpThump-WACKWACK Thump-WACK DubbadubbaDubbadubba! :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ROFL!!! Yeah that is true, everybody misplays those songs. Except me, of course. :D Our drummer has no problem with the "Get Off of My Cloud" part either. :) I think bass players who play during the verses of "Honky Tonk Women" MIGHT be excused if they're playing the "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" version. :D But really, hardly anybody ever plays any Stones song right. Hardly any rock drummers exist anymore that have Charlie's type of swing, ditto with Wyman who's just incredibly underrated, and most guitar players are too busy turning up their noses at how "simple" Keith's riffs are to bother noticing the things that make them great, let alone playing them correctly. :rolleyes:

Funny this thread should come up. Just last week I was playing a GB gig and the band butchered "Honky Tonk Woman". These are "jazz guys" and they think that rock is beneath them. How f**king sad. You should hear them attempt a funk tune. I have talked to them about maybe listening to some of these song that they try to play, but they weren't hearing me. It's a living?

I just notice that when people do the Keith and Charlie thing, it never quite sounds right. I saw "Sticky Fingers", a tribute band, and they got it pretty close, though, but then again, they're a tribute band, so they're supposed to! So I think Keith tunes in open "G" and takes the bottom "E" string off, right? And his tone is really cool -- somewhere between distorted and clean. Perfect for the songs.

[quote]Originally posted by Werewolf of Tedster: [b]Charlie has gotta be the most unusual drummer ever. Ever notice how he skips the hat during the snare on the 2 and 4?[/b][/quote]I can say the same thing about Bill Wyman. I find his bass playing very 'untraditional'. bob

Yeah Ken, many of those famous Stones riffs are open G with the bottom E removed. Keith has some custom 5 string guitars for the purpose. I only had one guitar for years, and still play only one guitar 90% of the time, so I learned to tune to open tunings real fast on stage, and mute the bottom string. :D Charlie doesn't ALWAYS skip the hi hat on 2 and 4 but if it's a song where he really wants to accentuate the snare, he does. It's a cool sound. He does it on Beast of Burden and the snare just CRACKS on that, no hat in the way.

Well the Stones were doing Toronto last week so the radio stations dug up every tune they could find to keep people in the mood. I listen to classical music radio and they played "Paint it Black" done by a violin and piano duet, poorly. That's just wrong.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

I see people doing songs incorrectly all the time. I've seen bands having the progressions wrong, let alone the 'stacking' of the chords. Recently, I suggested in my band we dust off 'You really got me' by Kinks. I got the usual response of, 'nahh, that's too easy'. I always say, 'oh yea?, try doing it the way (*.*/band) did. It's not easy getting the feel, tone, notes, grace notes, accents and general vibe of many so called 'easy songs'. Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote]It's not easy getting the feel, tone, notes, grace notes, accents and general vibe of many so called 'easy songs'. [/quote]It takes a good ear. A [b]VERRRY[/b] good ear to translate what is on the original and put in back in real life. And the feeling thing? You either got it or you don't as well. A very rare commodity if you want to consider [i]really[/i] kicking the ass out of a cover. Even those "better" Karaoke backups are very often musically correct, but man do they miss the boat dynamic-wise and feeling-wise. Just my 2 cents.

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

[quote] Second, maybe "Honky Tonk Women". Fuggedabout the Open-G Keith part, what about the bass players that have never noticed they're supposed to lay out during the verses? [/quote]Bass player here. Can't tell you the number of guitar players who will start playing that song, and when I don't play on the verse, they stop and say, "Dude, it's G, then C..." etc. It's not that us bass players don't know. It's that we're under enormous pressure from guitar players to cover up as many of their mistakes as we can!
Andrew Mazzocchi

[quote]Originally posted by Ultravibe: It's not that us bass players don't know. It's that we're under enormous pressure from guitar players to cover up as many of their mistakes as we can![/quote]LOL! All that, & still have to kick the drummer's butt at the same time! :D

I rarely try to copy a tune exactly like the record. After all it's already been done. I try to be an artist - not a human CD player. That said, there are certain licks that a song may just need but it's all open to interpretation. I usually get bored if a band tries to sound exactly like another artist.

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]I see people doing songs incorrectly all the time. I've seen bands having the progressions wrong, let alone the 'stacking' of the chords. Recently, I suggested in my band we dust off 'You really got me' by Kinks. I got the usual response of, 'nahh, that's too easy'. I always say, 'oh yea?, try doing it the way (*.*/band) did. It's not easy getting the feel, tone, notes, grace notes, accents and general vibe of many so called 'easy songs'. Matt [/b][/quote]A perfect example of this is the rock evergreen "Louie,Louie". Though widely considered the ultimate three chord rock progression, the song, in fact, has only [i]two chords[/i]: G & G7! [The "third" chord is based on a misunderstanding of the keyboard harmony on one of the early versions.] Back to the Rollin' Stones, let me twist the discussion a bit---what [i]least played[/i] of their songs deserves greater popularity (presuming it might be played correctly :rolleyes: )? I start the nominations with "Monkey Man".

[quote]Originally posted by Count dracuBunny: [QB]Man, the guys in DEVO must've been [i]terrible[/i] musicians. I mean, their cover of "Satisfaction" sounds NOTHING like the original! They got it ALL wrong! QB][/quote]A personal fav of mine. Devo nailed it on the head. The video is the best! :D
-David R.

Archived