Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best way to ship a package from USA to Europe

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]I have to ship a piece of gear that I've sold to someone in Europe, and I'm wondering whether anyone might have recommendations on a carrier - DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc. Thanks in advance!!![/b][/quote]Find out from the guy/gal which carrier has the strongest presence in his area. Also call the carries and get quotes on how much etc. I assume the recipient is picking up any [b]CUSTOMS[/b] charges....

I.ve had a lot of success with FedEx. Usually, if you experience any delays they are after the shipment arrives at customs in the destination country. It usually will get to customs by the second day though. It's convenient too, There are FedEx drop boxes all over the place (even at the US Post offices) and you can pay with your credit card. On the downside, shipping quick means shipping costs alot. You can usually check out the costs online. If you use something like FedEx, choose the longest delivery time (something like 3 day or so) - It costs less, but it gets there at about the same time.
- Calfee Jones

I shipped a guitar to a guy in England and the US Postal Service was a much better rate than Fedex, UPS and another air carrier I tried. He got the guitar in about five days in perfect shape. Goes without saying that you need to pack it very well and insure for the full amount.

I shipped a guitar to a guy in England and the US Postal Service was a much better rate than Fedex, UPS and another air carrier I tried. He got the guitar in about five days in perfect shape. Goes without saying that you need to pack it very well and insure for the full amount.

USPS is about 1/2 the price of DHL, FEDEX, etc, for the same services. Ship standard air, and insure it. this give a tracking number you can track online. We ship to Europe alot, and have never had any problems. Typical deliver time is less thn 7 business days. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Dan, Please refer to the page I wrote specifically to International shipping on my site [url=http://www.musicbizbuzz.net/trade/worldtradeetiquette.htm]World Trade, Etiquette[/url] ... I have 17+ years of Postal Service experience and 7 of those years were dealing directly with International shipping and Customs Regulations. When using ANY carrier, there are definite customs forms that MUST be adhered to or else your package will be hung up in Customs for who knows how long. USPS and FED EX are now working in conjunction with each other domestically in the USA, as the USPS has contracted with FED EX to handle hot target areas in delivery. USPS has a lot of services to offer at different rates, and by all means, they have an advantage over many competitors in International shipping because of the hang ups on the other end when dealing with companies other than GOVERNMENT organizations. With the USPS being a FEDERAL agency, when the need applies :eek: , foreign countries RECOGNIZE the secure measures that are taken by our government to protect and ensure all shipping standards have been met. Customs offices are more inclined to accept and pass parcels without extreme delays. I'd advise you to read the article that I wrote relative to proper packaging, making sure to use shock resistant packing materials if there is a danger to sensitive elements being destroyed. Make sure there is NO movement inside of the package, and that the package is not off balance... (all the weight on one side) Improperly packages are easily destroyed in mail handling procedures, and also, the can be delayed prior to reaching customs in International handlings. The International Mail Manual gives you specific guidelines to the proper Customs forms to affix to your packages and also will tell you what is mailable matter, and which type service allows transport of your content. Unless the item you will be shipping is rather small, your best bet would be to inquire about Insured Parcel Post. These are direct pages relative to Insured PP, as described in the International Mail Manual published by the USPS. You will have to copy and paste this URL into the address window of your browser; it is too long for the Message Boards to make the conversion to a link. [b]The length of the URL address was way too long to convert to a link format, and also, in just entering the http:// address in it's correct form to cut and paste; it made the forums frame extend way beyond it's normal parameters. I have edited the link out and actually built the link into my Trade and Customs page; my URL is much smaller and will convert to a link okay in the forum. Here it is...[/b] [url=http://www.musicbizbuzz.net/trade/regulations.htm]International Trade, Shipping, and Customs Regulations [/url] You will want to brief through the initial pages of the International Mail Services document, but the pertinent information begins on page 5 discussing the needs of the use of PROPER customs forms. If you decide to go with Parcel Post, make SURE to use the WHITE lable and NOT the green label (AO packages... Other Articles) If you affix the wrong customs form or neglect to properly fill out the required information, or even worse, neglect to put a customs form on your parcel at all; I guarantee that your shipment WILL BE DELAYED with ANY carrier. If your package is OVERSIZED, I guarantee, it will be knocked at the point of inception. The International Postage Calculator and the Pub. 51, International Rates and Fees both will give you a guideline as to how much your package will cost. Depending on the type of service you choose, you can click on the title of the service and it will give you detailed information as to the size limitations... and on through restricted articles that are not acceptable to the destinating country. If you have any more questions after browsing through the USPS International Shipping instructions, you mail contact me directly... Here are some additional links to inquire about services in the event of a loss or damage to property when using insured services. [url=http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/manuals/imm/immc9.pdf]General Exceptions to Payment - Registered Letter-Post Mail and Insured Parcel Post[/url] [url=http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/manuals/imm/immc9.pdf]Payments for Insured Parcel Post[/url] [url=http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/manuals/imm/immc9.pdf]Initiation of Claims[/url]

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Archived