Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music on a Compac Presario?

Hi, The company I work for is offering us employees to co-rent computers for our personal use. As a Macintosh user for music apps I really would appreciate hearing what your experience is regarding running Cubase VST/32 and/or SX on a Compaq Presario 8141EA or a Compaq Presario 8144EA. I'm aware of the differencies in opinion re the two different operating systems so I don't need to hear about those generic views. What I really need help with is hearing of real life experiences from people who have run the software on these computers. Thanks a lot in advance! Mats Nermark

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a PC/Daw user,I wouldn't use any pre-built machine for anything other than internet/office/games stuff,and even then.The last I heard Compaq AMD's were using Via chipsets(yecchh)and their own mangled version for Intel.Plus these day's Pre-builts are starting to hide crucial bios sections in a hidden partition of your HD,so when you try to wipe all their junk out with a fresh install you'll be stuck and on the phone with them.I'd take it for nothing for internet junk ect.,but that's it.These days you can put together a screaming Athlon XP system for next to nothing.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Can't tell you anything specific about the 814xEA models, so this may not be comparable. But, I've been using Cubase SX with an off-the-shelf Presario 6016US (1.5 GJz Athlon) for several months, & it's rock-solid (once I did all the usual WinXP audio tuning stuff). However: while I do use a lot of VSTi's & plug-ins, for the work I've done with it so far, I probably haven't exceeded maybe 25 channels of audio, btwn stereo/mono tracks, & the USB audio HW I have connected to it is only 4-in, 2-out... so YMMV. If the $ were coming out of your pocket, I would have to agree with Alndln about configuring your own optimized rig for audio, though. So I guess your best decision depends on how $weet your employer's co-rent deal is. [b]BTW, don't overlook the fact that since the SX USB dongle is dual-platform - as a registered Win/SX user you can get a Mac install CD for SX from Steinberg, for only the cost of shipping/handling. Nice one, Steinberg![/b] :thu:

For whatever it's worth... I recently got a Compaq Presario 2800T notebook (running XP). I was looking at the latest, greatest Toshiba, but the Compaq was a deal I couldn't refuse. 2 gHz, 512K, 64 meg video, 5400 RPM 40 gig drive, blah, blah, blah. I got a Digigram VX Pocket V2 sound card for it and have been recording sound effects and video shoots. I've got Cool Edit Pro 2, Ozone 2 and Sonar. It's much better than a portable DAT. I can burn the .WAV files to CD and plug 'em into the studio machine. Rock solid!

GY

Archived