Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you learned what you know of audio?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everything I ever learned from recording came from reading and then applying what I read. However with one exception: Compression. Never understood the concept until I saw my friend use one. It became my favorite dynamic processor and effect. From having worked in recording studios, I think the best experience to learn is to get some time with real engineers and see how they work. Nothing like watching a pro do their thing. The only problem is that studios only want experienced assistants/interns or people they know. If you can`t get into the studio, you will not believe how much Recording and Electronic Musician can and will teach you. Peace, Ernest

Mostly self taught. It also helps that a technical mindset runs in my family. Outside of that, the only schooling I had was the Recording Workshop in Chillicothe, OH, back in the mid-80's; my first day, during the first lecture, is where I had my major "A-HA!" moment. The rest was polishing up the details.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I got tossed behind a console at the age of 19 cuz I had some electronics knowledge. from there it was all trial by fire. Alot of reading, alot of asking stupid questions(cuz asking a stupid question is better than making a stupid mistake), and alot of years doing what I love. After 25 years in this business, I still learn something new almost everyday. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I'm self-taught by necessity. I approach engineering from the angle of a musician who wants to record my music cheaply. I've read a LOT of articles in magazines like EQ, Electronic Musician, TapeOp, Recording, Keyboard Player and the like. There are several good books out there, too. When I'm working with experienced engineers, I always ask them what they are doing, and how and why. Of course, forums like this one are endlessly valuable. :thu:

Similar to dBunny's experience. Self-taught slowly, coming up through the ranks with cassette 4-track and slowly building up while simultaneously purchasing books on recording, reading EQ, Recording, Electronic Musician, Home Recording, TapeOp, and reading SSS and rec.audio.pro. Trial and error, experimentation, lots of listening.

I'm mostly self taught but I hooked up with an engineer about 7 years ago who showed me some things and let me fool around with the mic locker. Next came a part time job running 2 radio studios, a digital studio with a Session 8 (remember those?) and a large 16 track analogue studio. Most of my time was spent fooling around and learning everything I could from recording bands to taping radio shows. After that I got jobs in radio production and produced, wrote, edited, recorded sessions, directed voceovers, wrote and recorded musical idents (posh term for jingles!) location recorded, etc. and I've mostly been doing that, 9-5 for the past 5 years. I've only just begun to feel confident about my abilities :) SSS has plays a big part in that, gaps in my knowledge are slowly being identified and erased :) Thanks to everyone! :wave:
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

This is quite funny. I had my first "PA" at probably 5 years old. I had this old reel to reel tape recorder that when you had an external speaker and a mic, became a "PA". I had a ball with this and started expanding it as much as I could. The first thing I did was to hook it up to dad's stereo (when he wasn't home, of course) to get more power and make it louder. This is where I got my first lesson in feedback, and how to correct it. It's also where I learned about routing, cabling, wattage, and impedence (after dad caught me doing this). I truly believe this early lesson gave me a thirst that I'm still trying satisfy. Rick

Hey Rick: What's the music scene like in Phoenix these days? You play in a band? My Mom grew up in Phoenix and I've been there a few times over the years. Niiiiice dry air. My aunt lives in Southern Arizona, Parker. Been there a few times to see the speedboat races.

[quote]Originally posted by PinheadWewus: [b]Yeah I'm home sick. Does cough syrup count?[/b][/quote]They don't make cough syrup like they used to, ya know. It's safe as milk now days.
In two days, it won't matter.

First step was accepting a spot producer's job at the radio station where previously I worked as a freelance DJ. Then it was subscribing to Keyboard magazine. And finally - finding these pages. :) Still doing all those things (almost simultaneously :D ).
I am back.

I started with school; then, it was fiddling with the 4-track at home, reading, and mixing bands in clubs. Mixing live full-time was the real education, though. I learned how to handle practically any genre with a wide variety of good/not so good/sucky gear, and do it quickly - because I had to do it. (No time to agonize over the perfect kick drum sound when you have 8 bands on the bill - you have to have the mix at 98% by the end of the first song.) International acts were especially great, because you have to deal with instruments you never knew existed. Really gets you to a different mindset than doing the umpteenth rock-whatever combo - you learn to check out the sound, & think about how to capture it & bring it out, rather than fall into your preconceived notions about how to mic something.

Archived