Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POLL - Most overrated band or artist.

I only wanted to put respectable bands/artists on this list, that's why there are no Brittany Spears and co. on there. Nirvana and Mettalica (although many would agree they are overrated) were put on as scapegoats, of sorts, to offset the fact that I dared put The Beatles and Hendrix on an overrated list. Had I put a couple more on the list they would have included The Doors, Greatful Dead, Rolling Stones and such. I'm glad some people are not afraid to vote against the Beatles and Hendrix. I suspect many more people would if they didn't feel it would be sacreligious. I thought it would only be fair if I put bands that I like a lot also, so it's not a "who's the worst" poll.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, well if we're inviting lists, let me put mine up... ELP - yeah, I actually thought quite the opposite. Keith Emerson couldn't hold a candle to Rick Wakeman - need proof? Go listen to Wakeman with the London Symphony Orchestra doing 10,000 leagues under the sea... Brain Salad Surgery, supposedly ELP's finest moment, was nothing compared to Tales from Topographic Oceans... Eric Clapton - without a doubt. This guy contributed absolutely zilch to modern guitar playing, yet I constantly hear his name connected to descriptions like "the best guitar player ever" - whatta crock. There were so many of Eric's contemporaries that could play him into the ground at any given moment in his career it's not even funny. Stevie Ray Vaughan - another deification without merit. Jimmy Vaughan was a far superior guitarist to his brother, but old slop-fingers constantly got the nod because he "played with such emotion" - sure he did. I suppose all those Ollies he did with his axe on stage was all part of the "emotion" thing. Jimi Hendrix wannabe is all I ever saw there - and Hendrix played with more precision... Rolling Stones - what exactly does anyone see in this band? They took three chords and played them over and over and over, updating their beats every 5 years to keep up with whatever was trendy (Emotional Rescue anyone?) and are now considered the greatest rock and roll act ever?! Cut me some slack! Kiss - reiterate above - except with even LESS substance (if you can conceive it) than the Stones. I'll throw another vote out for the Doors. What a crock that was - a drunken wannabe poet (let's get real, Jim Morrison's poetry was a joke - his constant fascination with the Oedipus complex coupled with his silly pretentious "tripping" imagery was nothing short of nauseating) plus a completely droll guitarist (c'mon - how many of you can actually sit through the guitar solo from "Light My Fire" without yawning and/or wincing at least once) - poor Ray Manzarek was in the wrong frickin' band. (asbestos suit on!) In response to some other overrated lists... Radiohead - what is everyone's big problem with this band? I'll grant you, it's a lesser-of-all-evils issue, but they damned sure are better than anything I've heard on the radio lately. Credit them with trying to forge a different path. Hell, if they were like all the other so-called "legendary" bands (Kiss, Stones come to mind) they'd have gone ahead and fallen in with the Korn crowd and started playing one-chord riffs and bark-scatting over them. :rolleyes: Bob Dylan? Did you ever listen to Desire? What an amazing album. There were so many wonderful lyrics - sure, he was a terrible singer, but he was never renouned for his singing - only for his songwriting. Eminem - I'm not middle aged, but I am white, and I do appreciate one thing about Eminem - his delivery. This guy has brought rage to spoken word like none before him. First song I ever heard by Eminem was "Stan" - I couldn't move - I was so totally gripped by the story he was telling - there was real intensity there. Far more intensity and genuity than his peers in the "hiphop" and "gansta rap" community. All that said, I still wouldn't buy his album :)

[quote]Originally posted by zork: [b]What makes The Beatles overrated? Who has contributed more than The Beatles to modern pop music?[/b][/quote]LOL!
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

[quote]Originally posted by sunsetman: [b]All these bands are not all overrated, IMO. I voted Metallica, but just to be able to view the results.[/b][/quote]Beatles - credited for ALL modern music and hailed as best band of all time. Hendrix - credited as most inovative guitarist ever and is on 90% of best all time guitarists top ten lists. Nirvana - credited for singlehandedly defeating cock rock and speaking for an entire generation. Metallica - credited as originating all modern heavy music (of course the progressions and melodies are credited to the Beatles ;) ). Led Zeppelin - credited as writing "Stairway to Heaven". ;)

[quote]Originally posted by The Matt: [b] [quote]Originally posted by zork: [b]What makes The Beatles overrated? Who has contributed more than The Beatles to modern pop music?[/b][/quote]LOL![/b][/quote]Are you really laughing out loud? Can't think of anybody who has contributed more, huh?

If you're serious about not seeing the irony of what you're saying - I feel for you. BUT, I'm sure you just have a clever sense of humour! (LOL!) :D

Again sez I... the craft, the art, the heart, Technique aside, The Boys of Liverpool, really have few as peers for current era tune smithing..Billy Joel, Taupin and John, Stevie Wonder etc... Oh, Please crap again about how Nirvana turned the spandex weeines into the night and they assumed the Urbane outfitted angsters... Puke plus folks...and what is a wewuss... I said Curt copped the Smithereens, (the goatee fad etc)and other Seattle bands Cut me some slack... Hendrix versus Isley? who's still kicking ? Page and Plant versus themselves in old age.... Nothing new from them after Zep two or three... Mettalica, Fought for recognition at least long enough to go around come around... They are proficient... Lets talk about their copped licks.. Ten Years After, Jeremy Spencer, Peter Green, T Rex, Tull, Kreiger, Angus and his bro... This reminds me of a few years back when Slash, thought he'd front a blues band, perhaps if he hailed from Louisville, Memphis or Nashville but not the Rainbow Bar... Lets talk cool, how abot Dave Mason and Cass Elliot's duet album, or Gabor Szabo, who died way too soon, they guy was bending strings on a Martin... The Dead, ok, and mezmerize me again Sam, but stellar, hardly, Big Brother, Joe and the Fish, Fever, Tree... personally....John Cippolinia, and Silver and Gold...rules Oh heck.. I have to stop this nonsense...before die... Rob

Archived