Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POLL - Most overrated band or artist.

Pick one of these bands or artists that is overrated. I'm not suggesting that any of these are worthless, just that they may get more credit than they deserve.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny thing,all those groups/artist are always in a list of top 10 downloads for guitar tabs at a guitarists site I visit once in a while. The Beatles has never been off number 1.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

[quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]I`m not surprised at the results so far. I voted the same way.[/b][/quote]I voted the same way too and I AM suprised at the results. Because that band is 'sacred ground' for sooo many people I know.
In two days, it won't matter.

I'm pretty appalled at the math on that survey.. Poll Results: POLL - Most overrated band or artist. (24 votes.) The Beatles 8% (2) Jimi Hendrix 12% (3) Nirvana 50% (12) Metallica 50% (12) Led Zeppelin 4% (1) uh - I think that's 124%? I picked Metallicrap - there's only so many things you can do in E minor before it gets REALLY REALLY REALLY OLD!!!!!!

I don't know if I agree with the poll results- There is a BIG difference between a band sucking and them being overrated. My vote went to Zep, who I do like much more than Metallica. Actually, with all of those "Mandatory Metallica" radio shows, I probably should have picked Metallica, on second thought.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

I voted Nirvana, even though I love Nirvana and am annoyed by Metallica. Metallica has a huge following, but I still think it's mostly a cult-following compared to the other bands listed. They don't get nearly as much acclaim as the others from the general public. I never did understand out of the whole grunge scene why Nirvana rose above the rest. I guess maybe because underneath the distortion they were closer to Beatle style pop than the others who were more in the tradition of metal (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains) or 70s rock (Pearl Jam). I saw something on MTV or VH1 where they were showing Mary J Blige and Puff Daddy talking about how great Nirvana was. I think it's in the lastest Rolling Stone, a readers' poll picked Nevermind as the second greatest album of all time.

I vote for Bob Dylan and also the Stones. Highly overrated IMO. Dylan can't keep coherent long enough to right anything you can remember. The Stones have some hits, but have been dead now for 20 years and keep draggin' their carcasses on stage, no doubt for the money......
The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

That's a tough one. When I first saw the choices, I figured most people would go for Nirvana & Metallica, the other three are sort of untouchable. But I thought about it for a minute, and I chose Jimi. Incredible guitarist and great songwriter, but what made him a legend is the fact that he hardly did anything. Before his unfortunate death, he only released a handful of albums in a few short years. No huge hits. His god-like status is partly because we think about what he [i]could have[/i] done. (Someone could say that about Kurt too, I guess) I'm a Jimi fan and not a music expert, so that's just my opinion. I don't mean to dis the music that he did make.

I voted down the J, N and Zep... They were OK, but after the first or third Zep..it was weak... Cocbain...come on, the riffs were copped from the Smithereens and other elementally seminal Seattle bands, he got the youth vote and as a lyricist was muddled enough to scar the psyche in his fans, that's always cool so it seems...but I will thank him for upscaling the collectability of my 64 Mustang (Mint)... Hendrix, as much as I saw him thrice, was eloquent, his passion even though he wore a guitar all around the house, was for stupification, and that made his contributions stellar but, limited and I feel, he was a stylist at the end of his range... I would say Isley, out does him stylistically... Jeff Beck and Clapton seemed to continue to grow...and then there were all of permutations between Mick Fleetwood and John Mayall, too numerous to mention... The Beatles, as writers, really have peer with Leiber & Stoeller and the great prolifics from before that era...Cahn, Porter, Berlin etc.. They had the grace to be aligned with experimentive producers and engineers, a good example is Geoff Emrick... That combination is hard to imagine again, and the guitar work as strong as each was, is cohesive and sound..they got in each others way as people but not on the records..that will get my keeper vote... Overlooked..though I think they are great, is the sloppy work from the Band...great tunes etc, but Robertsons playing always seemed strained to me...but hey..he sucked so bad they gave him the Les Paul award last week so what do I know... Country Joe and The Fish, another band what could'nt play real good... Cheers, Rob

I don't think any of the legendary bands/acts/musicians on your list are overrated. Here are some who are: Radiohead Oasis Beck Kenny G Britney and her ilk Leonard Bernstein Miles Davis Bing Crosby - Flame suit on for any octegenarians I may have insulted with that last one.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]I don't think any of the legendary bands/acts/musicians on your list are overrated. Here are some who are: Oasis Kenny G Britney and her ilk [/b][/quote]These are overrated? All I ever see are comments about how awful they are.

Geez, how about all the new "critics' darlings" like the Strokes, the Vines and the Hives? Everyone goes on about how fresh and new they sound - I guess they haven't ever heard of the Stooges, MC5 or the Velvet Underground. Also: Phish and Blues Traveller. Jamming for an hour over a simple, static chord progression is not the same thing as "improvisation" and does not put you in the same league as "jazz musicians".
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

[quote]Originally posted by zork: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]I don't think any of the legendary bands/acts/musicians on your list are overrated. Here are some who are: Oasis Kenny G Britney and her ilk [/b][/quote]These are overrated? All I ever see are comments about how awful they are.[/b][/quote]Apparently they're quite highly rated with the record buying public who vote with their misguided dollars. Did you have some other rating system in mind? P.S. I'll second the Bon Jovi nomination.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] [quote]Originally posted by zork: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]I don't think any of the legendary bands/acts/musicians on your list are overrated. Here are some who are: Oasis Kenny G Britney and her ilk [/b][/quote]These are overrated? All I ever see are comments about how awful they are.[/b] [/quote]Apparently they're quite highly rated with the record buying public who vote with their misguided dollars. Did you have some other rating system in mind? [/b][/quote]I guess I wa thinking the term "overrated" conjures up a different meaning than how much an artist sells. Beck, for example, probably doesn't sell nearly as much as someone like Mariah Carey, but is considered more important and artistic, and in that case, perhaps "overrated".

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]I don't think any of the legendary bands/acts/musicians on your list are overrated. Here are some who are: Radiohead Oasis Beck Kenny G Britney and her ilk Leonard Bernstein Miles Davis Bing Crosby - Flame suit on for any octegenarians I may have insulted with that last one.[/b][/quote]Bringing out my super-duper flamethrower for putting Miles in there :D . How can Kenny G be considered overrated. I have not heard anyone who approved of Kenny G the artist.

[quote]Well, as long as we're adding to the poll... how 'bout Alicia Keys? Waaaay overrated. Not saying she's not talented. [/quote]I'll second that. She can sing AND play piano! Wow! That's really fucking impressive! She must be a prodigy to be able to do that!
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Maybe, everyone's overrated. Once we start deifying artists it starts to get silly. I loved Nirvana, I love Hendrix, I'm really digging Zep these days, but it seems the image we make up in our minds can always lose balance and go over the top. Shit, they're people, they're not perfect, they made great music, but it's not the genesis of the universe or anything. I mean like all things, it'll fade away. Even your precious Beatles :D . Incidentally, they got my vote for being overrated, just because I'm not really into them. How bias is that? Anyway, I might as well add my bullshit overrated list. Here it goes Alicia "Freakin" Keys-GIMMEAFUCKINGBREAKALLREADY U2-this is my favorite band and is probably the reason I do Rock and I love, love, love, their new song "Electrical Storm," but last year they were without a doubt the most overrated group of middle age Irish guys on the planet earth. Nelly-Why does this guy sell records? AAAARARARGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, artistically this artist isn't appreciated. Still, he drives me crazy. Eminem-I'm so tired of middle-aged white people telling me how "DOPE" (their words) Eminem is. These jokers never bought a rap album until this guy came out. Wonder why? Flame away. India Airie-I can't get into this concious singer/songwriter "I'm so credible because I'm not as cute as Britney" shit. I'm sick. I feel really bad about this one, but I think the songbird is overrated. OK, I'll stop now. I wish I had the record sales of anyone of these bastards. Shit, I'm waiting for the day to be considered overrated. End of my ranting bullshit, Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Leonard Bernstein overrated? I don't THINK so. If anything, never given full due. I voted Nirvana, simply because I haven't heard too much Metallica. And hearing too much is one way to get overrated. I agree with south about several of his other choices. And add Smashing Pumpkins to the list for me! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by dblackjedi: [b]Even your precious Beatles :D . Incidentally, they got my vote for being overrated, just because I'm not really into them. How bias is that?[/b][/quote]You are treading on deep waters, my friend. I know where you live. :D In the same vein, I would've voted for Eric Clapton and probably Jeff Beck. So Clapton can play as good as the three Kings. Big whoop. You want the Kings? Listen to the Kings. I've only seen Jeff Beck once a few years back and he did not impress me at all. It was a double bill with Santana and Santana played with so much feeling and heart that made Beck look even more so-so. Of course, this was before Santana started having "stars of today" guests.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Archived