Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

are you hearing to much dave mathews ?

Hoo boy. The whole "rock n' roll" thing is just my way of saying that the music speaks to me. When I say an artist is "rock n' roll" I just mean they have that certain X factor that grabs my ear. SD and DMB don't. I find them both unsatifying and dull. It's really that simple. When I said these guy sound "self-important," I was referring to the music, not the players. I don't know anything about those guys personally, I just know what I hear, and what I hear sounds smug and self-indulgent to my ears. I agree that Zep sounded this way sometimes, and Dylan, The Beatles, Stones, Hendrix and Cream also had their self-indulgent, snobby moments as well. However, none of those bands irk me the way DMB and SD do. And don't get me started on Creed. Talk about horrid, pretentious music that pretends to be more than it really is! I generally dislike the way DMB and SD write/wrote, play(ed), produce(d) and recorde(d). I find them sterile and dull. Lifeless, even. My wife owns the entire Steely Dan catalog, so I've heard just about everything they've ever done. Everything's just too perfect. It bugs me. They don't sound like humans to me -- not even vocally. I definitely never meant to imply that I thought DMB or SD are intellectual. I don't think they are... I do think both of these bands like to be considered "thinking person's" music or something like that. Ah, whatever. All those silly twiddly notes are bothersome and distracting to me. I don't have any problem with music being complicated, but it bugs me when it's done in a "look at me! I'm EVER so good" manner. IMO, DMB and SD do this constantly, and it doesn't impress/excite/engage me or one bit. I think SD and DMB sound like super-slick studio guys trying to play a little pop thing, but it doesn't sound like they've really invested themselves in it. I don't agree that SD or DMB groove at all. They do nothing for me. IMO, they're worse than anyone in this department. Not funky at all. I don't mind harmonically rich chords or melodies in pop music. However, I DO think that a regular ol' undecorated "G" chord is also nice sometimes. Just ask the boys from Creedence Clearwater Revival... Oh yeah... I don't think anyone's doing the spandex thing anymore, but I get your point. Ultimately, whatever floats your boat is fine with me. You like 'em, I don't. Yay for both of us. Don't get cranky. Again... I'm just playing.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come and get me, you prickly faced lil' hellion! I ain't skeert. If I remember correctly, all I have to do is solve a wooden Rubik's Cube to get rid of you. Hell, I was doing that back in 6th grade. So bring it on.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I gotta admit I can't stand DMB and really don't care for SD either. I do listen to Sd because I like the way the stuff is recorded. I use it strictly to evaluate speakers and placement. Kinda like a test tone CD. The music is extremely well recorded but It doesn't speak to me either. Just doesn't have any fire to it IMO. But my version of fire is Rage against the machine's first album or Dave Mustaine during his heroin days, That stuff is really angry!

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

You should really get a hold of some early live Steely Dan. I've got a show from 1974 recorded in San Diego that rocks so hard...I mean RocknRoll...they weren't happy with the live stuff because they thought people wanted them to sound like their records (a lot of people did). But to me they were at their best when they were just jammin. Steely Dan was a meeting of a whole lot of great musicians over a span of years...at least keep that in mind when you just say the whole thing sucks. :)

HAHAH... I never said SD sucks. I just said I don't like 'em. Big difference.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Well ..it is intersting to see where this post went . Thanks for everyone's input . I thought I like Dave Mathews when they 1st hit the seen . After awhile of hearing their songs it seemed very repetious . Now ..the SD thing . I like Steely Dan . I perform FM + Do it again in my show ! dano
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Geez. I don't listen to mainstream radio anymore so I guess I'm missing the Dave-fest. Honestly I haven't heard much from him since the first album, which I don't own or anything, but I really didn't think it was THAT bad. I didn't mind hearing it on the radio. Thinking back, it was kinda nice to hear some people who could actually play, on the radio. :D No, it definitely doesn't rock but I didn't really expect it to, and thought it was all right for what it is. Maybe he sucks now and keeps rehashing the same thing, I don't know. That WOULD get boring. But really, I found your rant hilarious Erik, I just think there are other people who probably deserve it a lot more! I never have liked Steely Dan though, not even in the 70's. :D

[quote]Originally posted by Werewolf of Tedster: [b]My son has the "Crash" cd going as I type this.[/b][/quote]That's a brilliant CD - I have said it before, and I will say it again - Drive In Drive Out from that album is one of the best songs i have ever heard - the musicianship is incredible....

Archived