Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your opinions on these studio monitors, please... :o)

Hi! Besides the "you need to take them home and listen to them in your studio" thing, what are your opinions on the following: KRK V8 Alesis M1 Active MKII Samson Resolv 65a Tanoy Reveal (Active) HHb Cricle 3 (Active) I really appreciate it! Thanks...

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no experience with M1 actives but if they are anything like passive monitor ones i personally love them. i have a pair of monitor ones and a pair of hr824's. the monitor ones do most of the work, based on the fact that i can run them quieter and longer (plus i know them by heart) really the most important thing is can you work long hours on your speakers and not get tired. also do you know what they sound like. it took me about 1 year of constant use to learn what the monitor ones sound like, and i can translate mixes onto other systems quite well now with them. i have worked with ns10's and while i can work with them for a really long time without getting tired the sound is uninspiring. everyone likes something different. i find if i track on the hr824's i get nothing done. same with mixing/editing. i have to use the monitor ones for those things. i like the mackies a lot, but i just sit there and listen to them and marvel at how they sound - and get nothing done! maybe more time who knows. use what you like, what you know, and what wont make you tired. it doesnt have to sound perfect, as long as you [i]know what it sounds like[/i]

Thanks for the reply. The Alesis M1's are the only ones on the list I've heard. I think they sound great too. But I'm heading more for the Event PS8 active monitors. I'd really appreciate any comments on those... Anyone? (Is this topic posted so often that noone cares to answer it anymore?)

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

• 9 months later...
im bumping this thread as its the eternal quest for monitors. check this out: http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/3fbdd95be86013f1862567f30025b305/0b7fae7ed3205d3c86256ae100044f41?OpenDocument im not quite sure what to think about some of his comments but its good mileage for free advice. my local pro music store has the Behringer Truths at the same price as the Alesis M1 active MKII's.... so its a bit of a no-brainer there i think.

Every one I've known who has the Behringer's ended up selling them. They sound great at first but you'll find that your mixes won't translate worth shit. Don't laugh, but I wish I still had my Alesis Point Sevens. They revealed all of the 'uglies' in a mix and for some reason were also easy to mix with. I think I sold them for $100 or something :cry: . I'd imagine the new Active Alesis speakers are great, but I haven't heard them.

The alesis, tannoy, and hhb are all pretty similar in sound- I've used them all- well, the hhb I have only demo-ed. My preference for a affordable near field is the M1 passive. I'm not crazy about front ports. It just weirds me out. I would consider the passive versions of the speakers you are looking at for the fact that if you decide to change your monitors at some point, or if you decide to get a pair of auratones or realistics or whatever as a real world reference, you will still have a decent amp that can power them. I don't quite buy the whole active advantage thing. I think a lot of the amps they put in actives kind of blow.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by DSamp: [b] check this out: [url=http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/3fbdd95be86013f1862567f30025b305/0b7fae7ed3205d3c86256ae100044f41?OpenDocument]http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/3fbdd95be860 13f1862567f30025b305/0b7fae7ed3205d3c86256ae100044f41?OpenDocument[/url] im not quite sure what to think about some of his comments but its good mileage for free advice. [/b][/quote]Awww, crap! He didn't like my speakers!!! Man! I thought Sound on Sound liked em! :cry:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]The alesis, tannoy, and hhb are all pretty similar in sound- I've used them all- well, the hhb I have only demo-ed. My preference for a affordable near field is the M1 passive. I'm not crazy about front ports. It just weirds me out. I would consider the passive versions of the speakers you are looking at for the fact that if you decide to change your monitors at some point, or if you decide to get a pair of auratones or realistics or whatever as a real world reference, you will still have a decent amp that can power them. I don't quite buy the whole active advantage thing. I think a lot of the amps they put in actives kind of blow.[/b][/quote]Enlighten me, GT3. What is it about front ports that you don't like? I understand that the power amps in active speakers may not be the same design (class A, AB, G...whatever) or quality as seperate amps. However, it seems to me that active crossover designs handling low-level signals would beat passive crossover designs and their inefficiencies most, if not all the time. So, I'm sincere, tell me what you think. Oh, btw, I'm using a passive pair of KRK KRoK (front-ported) speakers. I realize there are better speakers out there and one day I'll move up. But, these sound good to me. Of course, I'm familiar with them, so that says a lot too. Gas :cool:
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

[quote]Originally posted by mega-lo-mart evil coaster: [b]>>>i find if i track on the hr824's i get nothing done. same with mixing/editing. i have to use the monitor ones for those things. i like the mackies a lot, but i just sit there and listen to them and marvel at how they sound - and get nothing done!<<<[/b][/quote]OK, sounds like you really should let me have your 824's! I'm in the market, and we really can't afford to screw with your productivity now can we? I'd be happy to do you a favor and take them off your hands... GIMME!
None more black.

Gas, The things I don't like about front ports are totally "opinion/personal taste" issues. I don't like the chuffing for one. When I'm in the sweetspot, you feel that port "blowing" on you. It's just annoying to me, not really a sonic thing. But, I do notice that where your ears are, in relation to the ports, really seems to effect the sound more than where your ears are in relation to the tweeter and low driver. That might just be my quirk, I have absolutely no "science" to explain that. Also, I am always getting this feeling like I'm listening to the bass end of the signal through a paper towel roll. I know that sounds weird, and I'm sure somebody will pop up and give a thousand reasons why I'm off my ass, but that is the way it effects me. As far as active versus passive crossover, and resolution of low level detail, I'm not sure I buy your argument. I'm not arguing that in an ideal world an active crossover might not beat a passive, but I don't think the quality of electronics found in typical actives are "ideal". I'm no speaker expert, but I have worked on a great pair of cabs with a local speaker guru, and in the process, got a pretty good feel for all of the variables, strengths, and weaknesses involved with various setups.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Gas, The things I don't like about front ports are totally "opinion/personal taste" issues. I don't like the chuffing for one. When I'm in the sweetspot, you feel that port "blowing" on you. It's just annoying to me, not really a sonic thing. But, I do notice that where your ears are, in relation to the ports, really seems to effect the sound more than where your ears are in relation to the tweeter and low driver. That might just be my quirk, I have absolutely no "science" to explain that. Also, I am always getting this feeling like I'm listening to the bass end of the signal through a paper towel roll. I know that sounds weird, and I'm sure somebody will pop up and give a thousand reasons why I'm off my ass, but that is the way it effects me. As far as active versus passive crossover, and resolution of low level detail, I'm not sure I buy your argument. I'm not arguing that in an ideal world an active crossover might not beat a passive, but I don't think the quality of electronics found in typical actives are "ideal". I'm no speaker expert, but I have worked on a great pair of cabs with a local speaker guru, and in the process, got a pretty good feel for all of the variables, strengths, and weaknesses involved with various setups.[/b][/quote]Thanks! :thu: :cool:
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Well, I haven't heard the others, but I have used the Tannoys and the Alesis M1's, and I own the KRK V8's. I don't like the M1's at all but would recommend either of the other two. They're both pretty easy on the ears, and accurate. The KRK's are definitely very susceptible to positioning, and do not have a large sweet spot, but once you find the best position for them they do great. The Tannoys are a little more forgiving in that department. When making comparisons I found the V8's and the Tannoys to be my favorites in that price range, and the V8's were cheaper so I went with those. Sure I wish I had some ADAM's :D , but still, if I can't get good mixes on the V8's or the Tannoy's then I just suck. :D

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Well, I haven't heard the others, but I have used the Tannoys and the Alesis M1's, and I own the KRK V8's. I don't like the M1's at all but would recommend either of the other two. They're both pretty easy on the ears, and accurate. The KRK's are definitely very susceptible to positioning, and do not have a large sweet spot, but once you find the best position for them they do great. The Tannoys are a little more forgiving in that department. When making comparisons I found the V8's and the Tannoys to be my favorites in that price range, and the V8's were cheaper so I went with those. Sure I wish I had some ADAM's :D , but still, if I can't get good mixes on the V8's or the Tannoy's then I just suck. :D [/b][/quote]I'm surprised you find such a difference between the M1's and the Reveal's Lee. I have a pair of Reveals at home, and M1 at the studio. I trust the Reveals a little less, especially in the low mids (that's why they are at the house), but IMO they are pretty similar. Did you hear these in different rooms or with different amps? You are definitely right about the sweetspot on the KRK.

George, at one point I did a direct comparison of the three monitors in the same room (along with the Mackies and the Events). But most of my actual use of the Reveals and the M1's in mixing, has been in different rooms. So that could be a factor, but I noticed the same differences when comparing them directly. Then again a lot of my issue with the M1's wasn't so much with accuracy, because I didn't get that far. I just didn't like the way they sounded - they had a hyped high end that made me cringe, kinda like NS10's. :D Like I said, I do prefer monitors that don't flatter, but it can be a fine line between unflattering and downright uncomfortable! It doesn't matter how accurate a monitor is if I can't listen to it for more than a half hour without getting ear fatigue. Not everybody is as sensitive to that as I am though (in fact women in general are supposedly more sensitive to high end frequencies), so it might well not bother other people.

Cool, thanks for the feedback Lee. I'm in a pretty big room, so maybe that's why ear fatigue hasn't been an issue. That kind of makes me worry about what it's going to be like when I get into my new place, and I get a legitimate "control room" instead of monitoring in my nook in my fairly large tracking room.

Archived