Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gettin Started Fullsail vs. Sae

I am very interested in the recording industry and considering schools for recording. I would like any advice from anyone that has gone through what I am. What are some good steps to take? What are some things to consider as far as choosing the right school? Ive already started looking at a number of them. Ive received info from a couple but have visited only one so far. I would just like some advice as to what classes I might take in the mean time that could give me a headstart when I enroll as far as certain computer classes, electronics, etc. or just anything that would help me out . Ive checked Fullsail out. I really liked it but I have nothing to compare it to. I do have a friend that went to Fullsail and just graduated this month. He can answer just about anything about Fullsail for me. Sae caught my eye, the one in Nashville anyway. Has anyone attended there or even gone for an open house or visit? Did you like it? Like I said, I only have Fullsail to compare to. Pro s and Cons helpful. Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason,

I've been out of school a long time (Berklee '76 pre music production degrees) so I'm not totally on top of which is the best way to go for you. My opinion though, is that it really doesn't matter and what is more important is how much studio time you can get and which location could be the most fun..... No, seriously, I think what is more important is your first job. I've hired a lot of people over the last 20 years, mostly entry level guys and whatever school they go to is not as important as what they get out of it. I've hired guys that have showed me their transcripts, which were impressive, but couldn't complete the simplest tasks for me. I regard anyone coming out of any school as basically having an understanding of the terminology and the science and maybe some technique, but, I also need to see them as a clean slate, or sponge, ready to soak up all that surrounds them. If you don't learn something every day in this business you are not doing it right, you are cruising. It takes work, relentless motivation, torturous hours and the patience of a saint. The biggest gripe that I really have is the expectation of the students and the training of them to become engineers, when, as a studio manager, I am hiring people to work up from an entry level position to becoming assistant engineers, which they are not being trained to be. (In the music business engineers are a freelance commodity and the only difference between you and them is not their chops or their ears, but that they have clients who pay them enough to make a living). People that come out of a name school, that can't label a tape box or id a DAT tape after spending a ton of money on an education really irritates me.

I'm ranting....

Bill Dooley

Studio Guru

Bill-

Thanks man, I never really looked at it like that. I guess things like studio time and detail really do matter more than the name of the school. I guess I was just going by the reputation of the school as a hole rather than what I personally could get out of it. Once again thanks

Jason

I am in the same situation,looking at schools.I was set on going to FULLSAIL.I came accross the AUDIO RECORDING TECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE in Orlando about an hour ago @http://www.audiocareer.com/index.html I was impressed with the site.Especialy the class size of five students,I think fullsail is like 25 or more. But the price is rather persuasive...$10,000 including application fee of $75.00-VS.-$25,500+a $100.00 application fee.Good luck to you...godspeed and blessed be

This message has been edited by SCARDIA on 07-29-2001 at 08:55 PM

Archived