Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

product of the system

FIRST OFF......MARK,IT'S GREAT TO SEE YOU IN 'TRUE FORUM'

I'VE SEEN BOTH SIDES OF THE GLASS AS AN ARTIST/PRODUCER AND NOW(THE TRUE ART)-ENGINEER

I'M A RECENT GRAD OF SAE-NASHVILLE(CLASS OF 2001)AND EXPERIENCED THE AUDIO EDUCATION FIRST HAND AND LOOKING BACK I REMEMBER BOTH GOOD AND BAD-BUT WITHOUT THE TWO, YOU NEVER LEARN.

SURE THERE WERE GUYS WITH ROCK-N-ROLL STARDUST IN THERE EYES AND WHEN THEY FOUND OUT THIS SCHOOL'N REQUIRED SOME WORK....WELL LET'S JUST SAY THEY DIDN'T COME TO CLASS QUITE AS MUCH. BUT THERE WERE ALSO THOSE OF US WHO DIDN'T 'KNOW IT ALL' AND WERE READY TO LEARN ALL WE COULD AND COME AWAY FROM THIS ADVENTURE READY TO KEEP LEARNING IN THE REAL WORLD.

DID I LEARN EVERYTHING?....NO!

HAS IT HELPED ME IN THE INDUSTRY?....YES!

IS IT FOR EVERYONE?....NO, BUT DON'T SQUASH IT 'TIL YOU KNOW IT.

BEING APART OF THE FIRST NASHVILLE CLASS HAD IT'S CHALLENGES(I KNOW MARK CAN RELATE). EVEN THE GREATS HAD TO LEARN FROM SOMEONE. IF YOU'VE GOT A GREAT TEACHER WITH A PASSION, THEN IT WILL INFECT THOSE WHO ARE READY AND WILLING FOR THIS WILD RIDE.

Big Dave

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Fletcher,

I think that's not the problem, the guy thinks in caps.

Peace.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

So what's the reason for having this forum if nobody wants to discuss the topics but LOVES to jump on the THINGS THAT DON'T MATTER!!!!!

What a bunch of Buttheads!!!!!!!!!

Big Dave

• 1 month later...
Hey man, Im 21 and interested in a degree in recording just like everyone else on these forum things. Ive been to Full Sail and really liked it. I also had a friends brother graduate this month from there. I would like to know alittle more about SAE. So far, its the only other school that interests me. Any advice of pros, cons, that sort of thing will be very helpful in my decision. I know there are alot more than these two schools but Im just tryin to get a start on this stuff. Im takin one school at a time. Thanks.

Originally posted by Jason1:

I would like to know alittle more about SAE.

From living in Orlando and visiting/recording

at Full Sail,they really do have the latest, greatest equipment to get your hands on. I can't say a lot about the staff/teachers because I did't work with them.

Having gone to school at SAE and experiencing the process first hand, I'll tell you what I think are the differences...but you've got to make it your choice based on the info you get!

As I said, Full Sail has spent the BIG bucks on equipment, but every studio you might work at/with won't necessaraly have the latest/greatest. They're gonna have the best of what was out there when they bought it.

SAE didn't have the hottest/latest but had the type of consoles/equipment you'll find in REAL, working studios and except for automation and digital recording, consoles haven't changed too much. Oh sure, better electronics (DUH) but if you know signal flow and have an 'ear', YOU CAN WORK ANYWHERE!!!!!

I'm not getting paid by SAE and we had our share of problems when I went there but if your gonna spend the bucks(and Full Sail IS expensive),you better get your bang for buck.

I learned a lot.

Did I learn it all? You can't. You learn stuff everyday!(if you have an open mind)

Was it the best school? Can't say. As I mentioned, there were moments of doubt but the staff was committed not to the pay check but to making sure you understood what was being taught.

My only regret was not having more time on the BIG consoles(Neve,SSL)but I've heard they're working on that.

I hope this helps. Check it ALL out for your self but don't let a school be the only place you learn. Suck it all up!

-

Big Dave

This message has been edited by AzureCity on 07-25-2001 at 11:52 AM

Big Dave

Archived