Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Listing of Schools in EQ

Just got the new issue of EQ, where there's a listing of schools for audio education. I had no idea there were so many of them!! How does one separate the signal from the noise? How does someone go through the process of deciding which is best? Not an easy task, I would think.

There's also a piece about a hot-shot mastering engineer who graduated from Trebas. I'm seeing more and more of these kinds of references in articles.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anderton:

There's also a piece about a hot-shot mastering engineer who graduated from Trebas. I'm seeing more and more of these kinds of references in articles.

Having gone to trebas, I can 99% guarantee this mastering engineer got his winning chops elswhere. SLAM! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Put it this way - I'm backstage at an I mother Earth show (really propular band in canada)and I'm chatting with the FOH guy and the monitors mixer. I tell them what school I'm attending, and upon mentioning the word trebas, synced, they say "scam." The FOH guy got his chops from the DuMarier theatre on the water - interning of course, and the monitor mixer was a friend who learned the boards by rental.

As a disclaimer, I'd like to say this: I have no interest in going aound slamming people/companies/whatever while they can't defend themselves.

But when you walk out of an education feeling like a sheep with a widened asshole, 13 grand poorer, and in not much of a better position than you started, you tend to get a wee bit disgruntled. The teachers were great - very knowledgeable and helpful, the administration was a professional scam outfit. Take it for what you will. To me, it was a $2000 education with a $13000 price tag.

Peace

Rold

This message has been edited by rold on 05-02-2001 at 08:30 AM

meh

• 4 weeks later...

DOH! :o I just realized who the hotshot mastering engineer you were referring to was....and it's a female! Sorry Nancy, no offence intended; it's just that most of the engineers, etc. are men. Please forgive me ? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Harold

meh

Check out Hot Sole Music in Coquitlam (BC if that's where you're from), his name is Kevin, the program is 3 students at a time-5 month program intro-ing everything you need to know about being an assistant engineer. tell him jef sent you.

www.hotsole.com

604-941-9924

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. Greetings from the coast, hope all is well in langley. I'm building my dream studio ground up, which will keep me occupied, well...for the rest of my life probably.. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

But I appreciate the pointer!

Best,

Harold

meh

• 4 weeks later...

Rold .

I graduated from Trebas about 2 years ago . Attending the school was the best thing I could ever do with my money .

As with any education , what you get is a result of your own will . If you expect being force-fed with knowledge , there is no school in the world that will do that for you .

I earned my knowledge because I , with several of my classmates , REALLY wanted to become engineers . The other students just thought they would have some fun , and didn't expect the hard work involved .

As for the administration , I agree , but also I know that :

1) I still learned lot's & lot's of stuff .

2) It's the same in every (almost) school .They all want your money first .

And by the way , I'm a senior post-production engineer , with international credits , and that's because of myself AND Trebas .

Dude,

Good to hear you got your money's worth!

I agree that the education trebas gives can help you get started, and I'm assuming the following conditions were met:

- the equipment worked;

- the instructors showed up on time, provided they showed up at all;

- you had enough breathing space in your class to learn/write your exam without having to negotiate room with someone else's elbows/material on the same desk;

- you were provided with your materials timely and in proper quantity;

- there weren't six people assigned to a tiny digital board in a control room 6 feet wide.

Those are just a few of the conditions that weren't met in my case. Which campus did you attend?

As far as wanting to be force-fed material, I didn't expect, or want that at all. I did a lot of reading and extracurricular work in my own time, which is where I picked up my chops.

As far as hard work, what hard work? Reading instructions off a piece of paper rather than figuring things out for yourself? I hardly call that hard work.

I think Mark made a good point in one of the other threads regarding the money aspect, which does NOT make all schools equal. Some actually meet their promises and some are subsidized, which allows them to offer a better quality education (ie, AES).

I'm glad to hear you've made something of yourself post-trebas, and if your experience was anything like mine, I'd have to say you got there more on your own than you did with any of this "help" from trebas.

My 2c.,

Harold

This message has been edited by rold on 06-24-2001 at 01:22 AM

meh

Archived