Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Summer NAMM Show Folder

Craig, i mentioned the pocket studios in the bass forum yesterday. These things are really cool, and it seems technology has gotten to a point where people are no longer impressed. I think these little boxes are a boon for any, and every songwriter.

They are very Japanese, aren't they. So much crammed into a little box.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

d gauss:

Jeff / Tascam Guy has stated a few times in the not too distant past that the DM-24 does exist and that it should be shipping by the end of the summer, but they're NOT going to be putting ads out or putting info on their website about it until just before they have it ready to ship. Which IMO, is a pretty good policy to take, considering how many manufacturers announce things years before they're ready to ship.

I have no idea if they showed a working prototype at Nashville NAMM, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Maybe Jeff, Alpha, Craig or someone else who made the show can tell us.

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

<

I got a video of the entire press confererence announcing the amp, and will edit it down to the best parts. There are music demos in there, but they're captured by the camcorder mic and can't really communicate how nice the thing sounds.

Originally posted by Anderton:

<>

Just think...if the price of real estate in Tokyo wasn't so high, we'd never have all this super-miniature stuff..

The Japanese have cell phones that are no wider than a man's thumb - with a built in digital camera! We never get the really good stuff over here in the United States of Jerry Springer. Most Americans have no clue how far behind we've fallen.

On the other hand, Tokyo's stock market just hit a sixteen year low. Go figure!

Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com:

they're NOT going to be putting ads out or putting info on their website about it until just before they have it ready to ship. Which IMO, is a pretty good policy to take, considering how many manufacturers announce things years before they're ready to ship.

Thanks for this, Phil. And yes, I'll reiterate: the DM-24 is in the very final stages of development, with beta testing going on as we speak. But no ads, no web site presence until we're shipping. I refuse to buy into the acceptance of vaporware. In fact, I almost wish that news of the mixer hadn't spread so widely after we previewed it at an earlier show, but on the other hand, I'm certainly glad that it's so highly anticipated.

I have no idea if they showed a working prototype at Nashville NAMM, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Maybe Jeff, Alpha, Craig or someone else who made the show can tell us.

Yes, we had it at Summer NAMM, connected to an MX-2424 running the MX-View waveform editing software. People said, "I gotta get me some o' that." And yes, it's still $2999 list. Shipping in big quantities in six weeks or so.

- Jeff

Hey Jeff -- any more news on the Nemesys thing...like are you planning to integrate it with the SX-1? Will you do a Mac version? Will TASCAM now get into the sound library business? The mind boggles.........

Originally posted by Anderton:

Hey Jeff -- any more news on the Nemesys thing...like are you planning to integrate it with the SX-1? Will you do a Mac version? Will TASCAM now get into the sound library business? The mind boggles.........

Sure, Craig. Here's a little scoop for you and all of your forum contributors.

The main thing we're looking to do for the short term is integrate the ideology of software music/audio tools to the TASCAM philosophy that's been built around hardware products. In other words, we have to ease ourselves into the specific challenges and goals of making the software -- on its own -- the best it can be in terms of development and support.

We knew going in that the two big questions from everyone would be a) will TASCAM do a hardware version using the Giga technology and b) will there be a Mac version. For the time being, I'll have to respond by saying that we'd be silly not to want to integrate the strengths of both sides of research and development from TASCAM and NemeSys as time goes by. I wouldn't look for anything in the very near future. It'll take some time to work this stuff out. But as to whether it takes the form of new standalone tools or integration with the current line -- or both -- are questions that have yet to be answered internally at TASCAM.

Regarding the Mac question, I would say, "Never say never." However, keeping in mind that the streaming technology in the Giga products was built at the kernel level in the Windows OS means that porting it over to Mac is not a simple thing, if it's even possible. The possibilities of OS X, being Unix based, holds some promise over earlier Mac operating systems. But please don't hold your breath...like I said, I'm still in a place of learning about the core technology that makes answering the question difficult. Remember, I'm writing this post via a dual 500MHz G4, so it's not like we don't love and appreciate the Mac platform here at TASCAM. Time will tell.

Finally, yes, we're already in the sound library business. We're selling about 25 of NemeSys' titles, and we'll be continuing to work with third party developers and outside companies to keep making more titles. I see areas that can use some beefing up to help support specific musical genres. We'll be working with the folks out there who already have expertise in creating big samples for the Giga format.

So, as you know and people are beginning to find out, there are a LOT of possibilities with this new team. We're trying not to let our excitement overwhelm the ability to take the right steps to best support the line right now (instead of only focusing on the future potential). But still, we're all pretty damn happy.

Hope this helped!

- Jeff

Several cool things at NAMM.

Alesis was showing the first loudspeaker I've ever seen that had an LCD display, an 8" two way. Go figure. It also sports a frequency response curve that looks like New Mexican landscape. Flat, flat, flat. Who knows how it sounds? Not me, you can't tell anything at shows.

I did see the Alesis HD-24 that will supposedly be in the stores within 6 weeks. It's real. Will it light the same kind of fire that ADATs did in the project world? We'll see. A 24-track HD recorder for under $2500 is certainly a noteworthy accomplishment. As long as it doesn't eat the tape like ADATs, I'll be happy.

I got to see the Brauner VM-1 KHE in person for the first time. Boy, do I wish I had THAT thing on the Mic CD! It must sound killer because they are selling like, well like a very expensive mic that is really impressing people. With all the mic options out there these days, anything that costs almost $10K and is still selling well, there must be some magic in there somewhere.

Also spotted was the API 7600, virtually an input module from a Legacy console. Not only does it have a 212 pre, and the 550A EQ, and a 225L compressor, but it has bussing, aux sends and output trim built in, with an input for an external fader. So if you put several of these vertically in a rack, you've got a mini-Legacy. It's about $2500 a channel. I'll have it to try out next week.

I also saw the MTA A-Range stereo rackmount module for the first time. According to a good friend and well-respected engineer, it's the real deal. He doesn't know A-Ranges as well as I do. I've cut probably 20-30 albums on them over the years and mixed at least half that many on one. It's one of my favorite consoles of all time. He has great ears though and if says it's great, then I believe him. I'll try it out soon and let you know how they did.

I hope to get to hear the new AT 3035 soon. If it follows in the form of the rest of the excellent AT lineage, then it should be something else. And who can beat the price? Under $300 list, I believe. How DO they do that?

AT was showing the gold-logoed Anniversary Edition of the 4033. Has it really been 10 years ago that it came out. It's a mainstay in the industry now, in my book. It comes with a nice wooden box that your kids can put their Hot Wheels cars in, or your cigars. And a nice fabric pouch. It still sounds the same though. Good thing.

The find of the show for me though was the Mini-Bubbler. It's a $40 bubble machine that runs on batteries and you can keep all your kids (or clients, I guess) busy popping bubbles for hours. What a deal! I went back the next day to get another one for myself, er, my favorite client. Yea, that's the ticket.

The iZ RADAR booth was hopping. It's a great product at a great price. And you can get a 24/96 machine with dig and analog I/O for under $12K. What's wrong with this picture? Absolutely nothing from what I'm hearing from all my clients that have RADARs.

One more cool thing from the NAMM weekend.

We did the drawing for the winners in the 3D Mic CD Giveaway on Friday night at the 3D Audio BBQ Shootout. The 3D BBQ CD should be out in time for AES.

For the complete list of winners and what they won check out http://www.3daudioinc.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Music Mixing and Mastering

On a scenic hilltop outside of historic

Franklin, Tennessee

http://www.3daudioinc.com

email:go3daudio@aol.com

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

Thanks for the updates, Lynn. I understand the Brauner/KHE has a six-month waiting list.

My bet is the Alesis HD-24 will re-revolutionize the project studio. Swappable IDE drives instead of tape...

A VERY notable absence of ANY announcement was Digidesign (such as 96k) - or did I miss something?

Hey, is there a web site for that bubble machine? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Larry W.

Larry W.

(It's almost 7 AM and the last of the NAMM show report images has loaded...look on the home page under Features for the NAMM overview.

There will be additional coverage in the days ahead but for now, I'm going to...go......to................zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally posted by lwilliam:

A VERY notable absence of ANY announcement was Digidesign (such as 96k) - or did I miss something?

Digi never shows up for NAMM here. The closest they ever came was a PT system in the back of Mackie's booth when they debuted the HUI two years ago. So, their absence is not big news.

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Franklin, Tennessee

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

Mats -

I told Marcus at Line 6 that I would buy the very first rack-mount Vetta, and he said, "Funny you should mention that.." They are thinking about a studio version, and indicated that kind of "I want one" feedback would certainly help them make the decision. Let 'em know you want it, and get in line right behind me. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

- Jim Bordner

Jim Bordner

Gravity Music

"Tunes so heavy, there

oughta be a law."

Oh my, a pre amp version would be just great for the vetta. Then I can run it through a tube power amp:-p. And as far as waiting in line I'd be waiting in line yesterday if there was one available. However I hope it doesnt sound as bad as the pod, or I'll have to trade it in for a boogie tri axis;-).

I'm amused for lack of a better word that Line 6 would like a little encouragement to create a studio box vetta. They've only sold a gazillion pods and have a very loyal customer base. Not only would a new 32 bit unit send current pod owners back to the store for the latest greatest but many fence sitters will be converted.

The quest for perfect direct tone MUST continue. This is the missing link in thousands of apartments, homes, small clubs, coffee shops, churches and backrooms where amplification is not allowed.

A good price point for such a beast? $799 MSRP.

Where do I send my check?

Originally posted by Cereal:

I'm amused for lack of a better word that Line 6 would like a little encouragement to create a studio box vetta. They've only sold a gazillion pods and have a very loyal customer base. Not only would a new 32 bit unit send current pod owners back to the store for the latest greatest but many fence sitters will be converted.

The quest for perfect direct tone MUST continue. This is the missing link in thousands of apartments, homes, small clubs, coffee shops, churches and backrooms where amplification is not allowed.

A good price point for such a beast? $799 MSRP.

Where do I send my check?

It's been a long time since I met Marcus Ryle at Line 6 and I'm not even sure he would remember me if he saw me. So therefore I would encourage anybody who has more than a passing acquaintance with him to make him aware of this forum thread and the eagerness with which we seem to be willing to part from our hard earned cash (or credit) for a slick, easy to operate, not too expensive rack mount Vetta (would that be VOD (Virtual Overdrive Device)?)

I would definitely be in line for such a purchase!

Cheers,

Mats Nermark

PS Give Marcus R my regards.

Originally posted by lwilliam:

Thanks for the updates, Lynn. I understand the Brauner/KHE has a six-month waiting list.

My bet is the Alesis HD-24 will re-revolutionize the project studio. Swappable IDE drives instead of tape...

Hey, is there a web site for that bubble machine? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

After spending a week with the KHE, it's not hard to see why there's a waiting list. I put up a U67, a U87, a 4033 and the KHE and tried each one on four different vocalists. Even auditioning each of them through 5 different preamps (Buzz, Vipre, API 7600, Focusrite 110, and Avalon 737), the Brauner won on three of the four. It is extremely more versatile than its sibling, the stock VM-1. It may seem like a stretch to pay $9K for a brand new mic, but this one is worth it.

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Franklin, Tennessee

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

Archived