Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicians Have BIG Hearts

On June 21, 2001, a major fire at an apartment complex left 102 people homeless here in St. John's, NF. Last night I attended a benefit concert organized by local musicians and promoters to raise money to help these 45 families put their lives back together.

For an event put together on such short notice, Mile One Stadium was almost completely sold out. Tickets were $15 and the audience was treated to FOUR hours of great entertainment.

There were a PILE of bands who donated their time and services (most of whom I've worked with at some point or another in the past 5 years) and many more wanted to, but there weren't enough hours in the day to accommodate them all. The stadium rental was donated by city hall, as was the sound, stage and lights donated by local pro audio companies.

My hat's off to my good friends Peter MacKenzie (promoter) and to Con O'Brien, frontman for the Irish Descendants, for pulling off this mammoth event in such short order. And, of course, to all of the performers, as well. Tickets sales for last night's event raised $50,000 for the victims of the Rockliffe Apt. fire. Thats' NOT including corperate donations that have also been pooring in.

Being at this event moved me last night. The sheer power of positive energy at Mile One was something I've never felt. It goes to show you that the music community, in which we are all a part of, has a heart like no other when it comes to helping those who suddenly, without fault of their own, find themselves in need of a helping hand.

.....does the heart good.

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's very cool. On a much smaller level, I was talking with a cab driver once at NAMM in Anaheim and asked what he thought about schlepping musicians all over the place. He said he liked NAMM because musicians tip well. I asked him who tipped the worst. Without a moment's hesitation, he said "lawyers and doctors."

boy, do i concur on that!bein a musician/waiter or is that waiter/musician those are the first two groups that come to mind in the tipping game and third i'm afraid to say is computer people(at least here in sf.cali.) the last thing we want to here is etc. conventions are comin to town,cause then i gotsta start savin my pennies again for that new processor...
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Well, I'm a computer guy who tips rather liberally, but if I ever come to YOUR restaurant, I'm STIFFIN' YOU, Bud! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Many doctors and computer people come from overseas where cultural attitudes toward tipping may be different. Europe has all but ended the practice. Services charges are added to the bill, and you leave a small amount (2-5%) if you're REALLY impressed. That's one of the problems with tipping - the rules aren't universal.

Archived