Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to fix high hats that are too loud??

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project where the high hats were recorded too loudly in the overhead mics. It's not terrible sounding, just not perfect. How could I reduce their level without doing too much damage (I am willing to automate the fix so that it only effects the passages when the hats are playing). I was thinking that a deesser may work...

Thanks in advance

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean you have mixed the track down an the hats are too high?

Don't use a de-esser

Use a fully parametric EQ with a very hi Q, gain it by about 12db, sweep the freq till ya hats a squeeling out then pull the gain out to about -5 or what eva is desirable, if needed widen the Q a little.

I guess you could use a multi band compressor to compress only the hi-hat freq spectrum, then reduce the output.

ketone

Don't use a de-esser? why?

Using a multi-band compressor is basically the same as using a de-esser. The only difference, the de-esser has only one band it compresses as opposed to multiple bands.

Kevorkian, I would give the de-esser idea a try. It may or may not work - but you'll never know until you try. There is nothing wrong with a little experimentation. The parametric EQ idea will also work if the de-esser (single-band compressor) isn't cutting the mustard.

Best of luck,

-nt

ketone, you say " I guess you could use a multi band compressor to compress only the hi-hat freq spectrum, then reduce the output" thus describing what a de-esser does yet you say don't use one.

Anyhow those are all good suggestions I think. The problem is that you risk cutting cymbals also and maybe some of the snares.

You could also copy the track and edit out everything but the hi-hats and after having reversing the phase blending it in to cancel out the right amount of hi-hat.

Good luck

Emile

Hey Kevorkian,

Aren't you a Motu Macer? If so, just last night I solved this very problem by taking my original track and treating it as best I could , then bounced to a new soundfile and the waveform improved GREATLY. From there I was able to re-process as needed to make them "fit" in the mix. Give it a try.

Yes I am a proud motu-macer!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif...everyone should be really!

If ya don't mind Trash Monkey, could you let me in on what you processed the track with...eq, deesser, multiband comp...that phase trick!

Picking brains here until DP3 arrives!

PS: Thanks Emile for the phase idea...I use that all the time on mono sources, I don't know why I didn't think to try it here.

Certainly,

I took the hats that I used a C1000 on a little too hot, threw the plain ole 8 band on with some customization, then added a MW comp and bounced. Of corse you know your ears are the only true reference but I thought it worked great. Play with your plugs, seems to me I may remember you posting and having CS, hell that would solve your problem. I'm sure you know that when you get your sound just right and bounce the wave pattern is much more workable, at least to me.

Good luck and just start twistin knobs...or clicking mice

Russ

Most De-essers are generally fixed frequency. Multiband compressors for the most part have adjustable frequency ranges. Thus i'd choose this over a De-esser.

De-essers are used to better effect on siblant vocals, on hi-hats it can be a rather hit n miss affair especially if there is a gret deal of spill. As most ppl pointed out esentially a De-esser is a multiband compressor with limited scope.

I'd still insist better results with the EQ method.

Can't hurt to experiment

Ketone http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Originally posted by ketone:

Most De-essers are generally fixed frequency. Multiband compressors for the most part have adjustable frequency ranges. Thus i'd choose this over a De-esser.

I now undertsand what you meant. But still all the De-Essers plug-ins I've seen have all adjustable freq. and range. Also on the herdware side of things, when making a de-esser by patching an EQ in the side-chain of a compressor you can control pretty much anything.

Emile

Archived