Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I AM SO F***ING SICK OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WRITE A LONG POST AND DARE TO MISSPELL YOUR PASSWORD OR MAKE ANY OTHER COMMON MISTAKE AND WHEN YOU GO BACK TO THE POST FROM THE ERROR PAGE IT'S ALL F***ING GONE!!!!!

THIS IS BULLSH*T. IF YOU YOUR WEB MASTER THINKS IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY YOU NEED A NEW WEB MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three tips:

1) Turn cookies on in your browser. The browser will remember your username and password, so you won't have the chance of accidently misspelling them.

2) *Always* highlight your whole post before hitting the submit button and hit Ctrl+C to copy it... This has saved me on more than one occasion.

3) Don't use Internet Explorer. Use a different browser like Netscape Navigator, Opera, etc... The behavior you're describing is an Internet Explorer "feature", which we've discussed in the God Damn Fucking Hell thread ...

It's not the webmaster's fault, so perhaps you owe him an apology... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

This message has been edited by popmusic on 07-11-2001 at 02:21 PM

popmusic wrote:

Three tips:

1) Turn cookies on in your browser. The browser will remember your username and password, so you won't have the chance of accidently misspelling them.

I have cookies turned on and this feature works fine on Other BBSs.

2) *Always* highlight your whole post before hitting the submit button and hit Ctrl+C to copy it... This has saved me on more than one occasion.

Yes but you shouldnt have to do this.

3) Don't use Internet Explorer. Use a different browser like Netscape Navigator, Opera, etc... The behavior you're describing is an Internet Explorer "feature", which we've discussed in the God Damn Fucking Hell thread...

No matter how cool it may sound to diss a Microsoft product Internet Explorer is by far the better browser. Ever since AOL bought out Netscape they have strayed from HTML 4 standards. Netscape will never be on a machine of mine expept for testing purposes.

It's not the webmaster's fault, so perhaps you owe him an apology...

Go the the VS Planet web site. These functions work properly every time. They are intermittent here. It is the webmasters fault if he doesnt feel this is important enough to address. This has been reported before. Perhaps he/she owes us an apololgy.

This message has been edited by dino321 on 07-11-2001 at 02:41 PM

Dino,

Chill out, dude!

We've all run into these problems a few times, all it takes to avoid the problem is the cntrl. + C action.

It's not the webmaster's fault; if you want to vent on someone vent on the software company that makes these BBS programs.

The webmaster owes us nothing; especially an apology. They give us enough by making these forums available.

meh

I've misspelled my password before. All you have to do is hit the BACK button and re-enter it.

Here are a few more tips:

Posts written in frustration - especially those with profanity and a whole bunch of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the subject line are rarely taken seriously.

It's especially difficult to take someone seriously who blames others for their own simpleminded mistakes. The webmaster didn't mistype your password, nor did he tell you to panic and lose your changes instead of returning to the previous page, correcting them, and posting them.

Steadfast, chauvinistic attachment to IE is akin to sending part of your paycheck to Bill Gates every month.

Hey dino... download a utility called "Gator" (www.gator.com). It remembers all your login names and passwords, and fills them in for you. It will also fill out forms for you (name, address, etc.) and can even fill in creditcard info if you want it to.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

dansouth@yahoo.com wrote:

I've misspelled my password before. All you have to do is hit the BACK button and re-enter it.

Perhaps you should read a post before replying to it. I DID hit the back button and it wipes out the message. It keeps the quote but the message is gone.

Steadfast, chauvinistic attachment to IE is akin to sending part of your paycheck to Bill Gates every month

Let me say this again since you apparently didnt read that part of the post either.

Internet explorer is by far the better browser. Ever since AOL bought out Netscape they have strayed from HTML 4 standards. Steadfast opposition to Microsoft or Bill Gates may be seen as cool but product performance is my only criteria.

This message has been edited by dino321 on 07-11-2001 at 03:36 PM

I agree IE is the far better browser.

This problem is NOT the fault of UBB...I've never had this problem on any other site that uses UBB software.

I use both Netscrap and IE, I've had posts erased on both browsers.

This is fixable...I'm not going to blame the webmaster though because if MP isn't making it a priority for him/her then it's only MP's fault.

Either way, it really isn't a big deal...we all know the work around http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

After I defragged my hard drive, my MP cookie was history.

I logged in again, and now my original username keeps coming up. (an old email address)

When I post, the error screen says it does not recognize the username.

When I hit BACK, my message is always there...I put in ricnbokker...and then submit with no problem.

I use Netscape exclusively.

Now I gotta try to fix the username thingy. Oy vey!!!

Steve

I still don't get why you guys are (a) having this problem and (b) blaming MP. I've gone back and re-sent messages successfully using both Netscape and AOL (bastardized IE). Are you sure it's not a problem with YOUR computer, YOUR ISP, or YOUR browser setup? I have never, ever had this happen, and I've racked up a bunch of posts.

Originally posted by dino321:

popmusic wrote:

Go the the VS Planet web site. These functions work properly every time. They are intermittent here. It is the webmasters fault if he doesnt feel this is important enough to address. This has been reported before. Perhaps he/she owes us an apololgy.

Did you really read the other threads about this "problem"? I mentioned it before but I'll say it again that this is beyond our control. And if you notice the VS PLanet uses an OLDER VERSION of this software!!! According to Microsoft this is an intended "feature" of the browser. There's a link in the other thread to the Knowledge Base on Microsoft's site that spells it out!

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

I still don't get why you guys are (a) having this problem and (b) blaming MP. I've gone back and re-sent messages successfully using both Netscape and AOL (bastardized IE). Are you sure it's not a problem with YOUR computer, YOUR ISP, or YOUR browser setup? I have never, ever had this happen, and I've racked up a bunch of posts.

I don't know, It's intermittent with me. Sometimes my post will be there when I go back, and sometimes it won't be there. I never change the settings on my 'puter and it doesn't matter what browser I'm using. (nutscrape or exploder) I'm no web expert, nor do I know shit about networking. So, I just make sure my username and password is correct and CTRL+C my post before submitting it.

-nt

The *real* issue here is that other versions of Ultimate BB work just fine and dandy with Internet Explorer. The fact is that most people are on the internet are using IE and not Netscape, so saying that you need another browser only because *this* webpage doesn't work as it should isn't acceptable. I for one will not install Netscape on any of my systems including Macs. I was blown away when I saw how much faster IE works on the Mac than Netscape and to see that it took up much less RAM as well. Netscape is bloated, buggy as hell, slow, and more importantly, why would I want to bother downloading a browser when I already have one that works fine? Opera is okay, but again, I don't want any extra crap on my system that I don't need. For now, I'm just copying my text to my clipboard before I send, but c'mon, what a pain in the ass. There has to be something else to do besides the current work around.

-Dylan

Bottom line: It is a browser issue.

I know this because I am the webmaster for three different sites, and as someone who works with HTML, Perl, ASP, etc., I've had to deal with the wonderful, ahem, inconsistencies between browsers.

Not all code works 100% on all browsers, and it's *not* always the webmaster's fault.

An example: I wrote some code in Perl which was to allow a user to download things via a script. One of the parts of the html header I had to write via Perl was this:

print "Content-disposition: attachment; filename=$file_name\n\n";

OK, no big deal if you don't know what the code means... But let me explain... This particular line of code was *correct* and *should have worked* for any browser. In fact, it did work with every browser, except for Internet Explorer 5.1.

Why didn't it work with IE 5.1? Well, after doing some searching on the net, I found out in order for this line of code to work in 5.1, you need to spell the word "attachment" like this:

attatchment

Whether this was intentional or not on Microsoft's part, I don't know. However, I do know that's not how you spell "attachment". But when I deliberately misspelled the word, the code worked correctly in that browser.

Surprisingly, the code worked in all the other browsers too, although the performance was slower. It's kind of like, when you fix one problem in one browser, you create a problem in another.

What I'm getting at is, it is not fair to assume that it's the webmaster's fault. This definitely appears to be a browser problem; Microsoft has pretty much admitted it via their knowledge base article.

All of the browsers are faulty in one way or another. I like IE, but this is one of its big shortcomings.

Hopefully the example above might clarify things and put this subject to rest... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

(Now I gotta highlight everything, hit Ctrl+C, and hit the "Submit Reply" button.)

This message has been edited by popmusic on 07-11-2001 at 04:49 PM

popmusic,

If it is a browser problem why is it intermittent and why is it just on this site and no others?

I've seen it happen on other sites (I don't know about other UBB sites; I don't post anywhere else).

In my experience the intermittent back button behavior in IE is intermittent no matter which site I'm on. If I'm buying something online and I'm worried that I'll need to hit the back button, I'll usually use Netscape (and pray that it doesn't crash before I submit my order).

This message has been edited by popmusic on 07-11-2001 at 04:57 PM

The musicplayer webmaster does a great freakin' job. Remember that there's more to this site than the forums. We have the TASCAM forums on the UBB software as well, and there are difficulties that are based on browser and platform differences that no webmaster could hope to make perfect for everyone.

I think if you'd posed this issue with a calmer voice, you wouldn't have had such a bad reaction from most everyone. How about a round of applause to the web dude for all the things that dowork well on the MP site?

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!!

By the way...I do use Netscape, but not because of Bill Gates-ism. My wife likes IE better, and I encourage her to use it. I just like Netscape better on my Mac. But that's me. Everyone can have an opinion.

- Jeff

popmusic,

If it is a browser problem why is it intermittent and why is it just on this site and no others?

Jesus H.! Do you read my posts at all? Egads, other sites use different VERSIONS of THIS software. We are on version 5.47e. Look at the very bottom of this & every forum page and you will see the gray text. The other site you mentioned uses version 5.39c. Infopop, the makers of the software did something that changed the behavior of the back button, i.e., "fixed" it to work as MS intended it. I even posted messages on Infopop's bulletin board a while ago and here's one thread and here's another.

Do I have to close this topic?

Thanks for the props, Jeff, as you posted your message as I was typing mine...

Oh, and how's this for laughs? I am typing this edit on Mac IE 4.5 and guess what? The Back button caches the text! Yes the browser is much faster but also much more buggier on a Mac and I believe I should upgrade to IE 5.1 especially since Javascript support on Mac IE 4.5 is crappy at best.

And if you really want to see these pages fly, try the Opera browser (PC or Mac) as suggested above.

Originally posted by kudyba:

Do I have to close this topic?

Please do.....

I can't beleive that some people dwell sooo much on the small stuff. You guys and gals @MP are human just like the rest of us and prone to making mistakes just like the rest of us. You guys are doing a great job!!!!

I will join in on the round of applause - CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAPPITY CLAP!!!

-nt

kudyba,

Every 3rd or 4th time I post it doesn't fill in the user info. If I type in a post and have to go back and correct it the quotes are there but the message is gone. Perhaps I've missed or failed to understand something but the links you gave don't (to me) seem to explain this behavior. I never see this behavior in any of the 4 or 5 groups I participate in. I use that same browser at all times. (I.E. 5.50). This leads me to believe that there is some solution somewhere. You seem to be as angry about these responses as some are about the behavior. It's your perogative to close this thread since you obviously feel there is no solution.

This message has been edited by dino321 on 07-11-2001 at 05:38 PM

Okay, here's the really wild part.

I had the same problem -- lose post, swear, send email to Rob, Rob would patiently explain what was going on...case closed.

Then one day, without making any changes to my computer or browser (Internet Explorer on Windows), the problem disappeared. I now just hit the back button, correct my mistakes, and I'm good to go. This is NOT intermittent. One day I had the problem, one day I didn't have the problem, and it's been consistent ever since. Weird. Nice weird, but weird.

I've given props to Rob before but let me tell you, there is so much stuff behind the scenes that he has to deal with it would boggle your mind. Not only is there the "public" site here, but also, there's a whole "underworld" where us lowly drones enter the text for posting articles and such. It's flakier than a Wheaties factory but whenever there's a problem, Rob and Fei-Sheng Lee, our other web wizard, usually manage to fix it within hours at most. Rob is a one-in-a-million kind of guy and everytime you log on to this system, you're enjoying the fruits of his labor. So thanks again, Rob. Be very careful when you cross the streets of New York, we need you .

Originally posted by Anderton:

Then one day, without making any changes to my computer or browser (Internet Explorer on Windows), the problem disappeared. I now just hit the back button, correct my mistakes, and I'm good to go.

Did you install any software (especially Microsoft software) in the meantime? Generally, Microsoft provides enhancements/changes to Windows when you install just about any of their software... Whether you want the changes or not. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

I haven't witnessed firsthand if the Windows Media codecs and players install things which change Windows, but I hear this from users all the time: "I was on the web, and IE told me I didn't have the latest version of XXX, do I want to download it now, I said yes, and now Windows totally works differently than before!"

Originally posted by ricknbokker:

After I defragged my hard drive, my MP cookie was history.

I logged in again, and now my original username keeps coming up. (an old email address)

When I post, the error screen says it does not recognize the username.

When I hit BACK, my message is always there...I put in ricnbokker...and then submit with no problem.

I use Netscape exclusively.

Now I gotta try to fix the username thingy. Oy vey!!!

Steve

Ahh an easy one for once. Click on "preferences" at the top right of this page. Then click on "Click here to delete all cookies set by this forum!"

Every 3rd or 4th time I post it doesn't fill in the user info. If I type in a post and have to go back and correct it the quotes are there but the message is gone. Perhaps I've missed or failed to understand something but the links you gave don't (to me) seem to explain this behavior. I never see this behavior in any of the 4 or 5 groups I participate in. I use that same browser at all times. (I.E. 5.50). This leads me to believe that there is some solution somewhere.

I am now at home using a PC and IE 5.0 and was able to reproduce this but I'm convinced it's a browser and/or software issue (or bug). Infopop has upgraded their product but it's very different and would require some serious re-thinking on our part of how to integrate with our registration process since they fundamentallly changed it. Doesn't mean we won't upgrade ever just not at least in the next few weeks...5.47e is the last in their 5.x series. They're now getting ready to release 6.1.

Trust me, I appreciate your frustration but it's also frustrating on our part as we've covered this issue several times and there's no quick fix. Someone suggested to me a hack that MAY work but only with PC IE 5.x browsers! Although that is the most frequently used browser/platform combination, we do have A LOT of Netscape as well as Mac users so it would not benefit (and may ruin) their "experience".

That happens to me from time to time, -post a whole reply and : http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gifoof:: it's gone. I noticed it will happen when me and someone else is replying to the same posting, I think. ('cuz when I return, there is always a new response). Oh well, that's life, welcome to it!

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

I love these forums. I don't care what kind of hoops I have to jump through, there is nothing better on the web. Thanks a million Rob for all the work you've been doing; this site is priceless.. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif
meh

Archived