Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

URGENT - Crate BV6212 pre tube replacement

Hello,

I tried pulling out the preamp tubes of the aforementioned guitar amp and, NADA...they don't budge one cent!

Are they soldered to the circuit board (God forbid!)?

Anybody have experience with this stuff?

I'm trying to get my client to give it away, but he has a masochistical attachment to it...

Thanks for any feedback...

paul

P.S.: Crate just told me to "pull them out very gently..."... whatta load of horse!

JingleJungle

...Hoobiefreak

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's VERY unlikely they're soldered in... most likely you just have tube sockets that have a tight grip on the tube pins. You'll have to "work" the tubes out with a slight side to side "rocking" motion while slowly and firmly pulling downward at the same time. Be careful to not get too enthusiastic about the rocking - you don't want to bend the tube pins.

BTW, WHY are you interested in removing the preamp tube(s) to begin with? Preamp tubes, when you lightly tap on them with your thumbnail or a guitar pick (while the amp's running and turned up a bit) that give off a hollow, ringing or squealing tone should be replaced.... power amp tubes are a different animal - I suggest you do NOT try to replace your own (assuming it is a tube power amp) unless you have the tools and you know what you're doing (re-biasing is normally required, unless replacing with an identical value of Groove Tubes as the old set that the amp had been previously biased for, or unless it's a self biasing amp...).

BTW, for saftey's sake - DO NOT open your amp up! Even unplugged, there's capacitors in tube amps that can store a significant charge and give you a serious electrical shock. Saftey first - when you're not sure, take it to a qualified tech.

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Fair 'nough Pokefee...

I usually do change the tubes on my amps - just replace them...I don't do any mods on my own.

My client's amp makes strange honky sounds when she uses certain pedals in her rig...if it were the power amps, I'd probably be hearing more fadeout artifacts on the amp. And yes, the tubes DO indeed ring out when tapped.

I did try the side-to-side motion but to no avail. I did open the head up but all that's given to see is the bottom of the PC board with what looks like the underside of the bakelite (?) tube sockets.

I'm sorry, but I'm used to Boogies, Fenders, Ampegs, all amps that can be fixed and tweaked easily...this 'un just beats me...

as I mentioned before, Crate have not really been helpful in trying to solve the problm...

Paul

JingleJungle

...Hoobiefreak

Originally posted by JingleJungle:

Fair 'nough Pokefee...

I usually do change the tubes on my amps - just replace them...I don't do any mods on my own.

My client's amp makes strange honky sounds when she uses certain pedals in her rig...if it were the power amps, I'd probably be hearing more fadeout artifacts on the amp. And yes, the tubes DO indeed ring out when tapped.

I did try the side-to-side motion but to no avail. I did open the head up but all that's given to see is the bottom of the PC board with what looks like the underside of the bakelite (?) tube sockets.

I'm sorry, but I'm used to Boogies, Fenders, Ampegs, all amps that can be fixed and tweaked easily...this 'un just beats me...

as I mentioned before, Crate have not really been helpful in trying to solve the problm...

Paul

I feel for ya Paul... I used to manage a Crate service center several years ago (a part time gig to help some friends who were just getting started...) and we saw quite a few Crates come through the door. Some were better than others, while things like the 1200's were just awfull. We finally wised up and just started sending them back to SLM for replacement... they had a bad design, knew it, and (to their credit) finally took care of it.

Personally, I prefer point to point handwired amps (Boogies, Older Fenders, etc.), but I like to fiddle and tweak, and that type of design certainly makes it easier.

Sometimes trying to convince a client to upgrade to something less noisy and more reliable is a bit of a pain, but I'm sure she'll thank you for it in the long run.

Wish I had a better solution to ffer you on getting those tubes out... but the only thing I can suggest is lots of patience, time and wiggling. Sometimes if the tubes are warm it's a bit easier, but you'll need a oven mitten to keep from burning your fingers...

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Thanks man,

it'always some form of consolation to know that someone has been through the same kinda crap.

I've hauled my Rivera combo to the sessions and things are starting to work better now. Someone else will take care of the crate (that's what it is...literally).

Peace from Switzerland...

Paul

JingleJungle

...Hoobiefreak

Archived