Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you guys think about Peavey's graphic EQ's (rack mount)? I used a Peavey mic once, it was okay. I also had a Peavey bass amp, which sucked the tone out of my Tobias bass. What are you guys thoughts? Thanks

Junior

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have 2 peavey 31 band eq's. one is a mono unit, the other is a stereo unit. the stereo unit is 2 rack spaces and is 2 separate eq's.

all the peavey eq's i have are balanced, unlike the alesis cheepies. they are full width, not trying to jam 2 - 31bands in a single space.

they are very nice, i use them FOH a lot and on RARE occasion in the studio. i dont need them in the studio, otherwise they would be great.

i give my two thumbs up to these eq's. they are very nice. dont let the perception of peavey being second rate throw you. peavey sells quality gear.

every peice of peavey gear i have works flawslessly, and i work them hard. in fact, the only time i have ever seen a peavey fail was on the road; a vintage cs-400 failed at a show. powersupply blew. this was an extremely old and banged up unit, probably from the 60's.

i later found out the cooling fan had not worked in 15 years. amazing.

i think peoples perception of peavey comes from their amps. peavey builds really heavy duty nice quality amps, but they will never sound like a marshall priced 10 times higher. of course not. they do what they do.

i play through a kb100 peavey and it sounds and works flawless.

i also have a peavey balancing amplifier supplying my am3 card for protools.

the eq's i WOULD NOT buy is alesis, behringer, or other cheepy eq's.

i find the peavey eq's are not cheap. i think i paid about $300 for the stereo new, and $100 for the mono used.

id buy'em again!

Hey thanks a lot for your post (I was expecting BS post such as "peavey sux"). I should have mentioned that I do love the fact that Peavey gear is *incredibly* reliable. My Peavey amp fell out of a van that was moving about 20mph. Scuffed the toltex, that's it. Worked just fine after that, hell maybe even better. But now that I think of it I have used a lot of Peavey gear, mostly mixers. None of them have sounded good though. I'm not looking for an EQ that has certain *sound,* just a clean (low noise low distortion) sounding EQ. Thanks a lot.

Junior

I can't comment on the EQ's, but I'm in total agreement about Peavey reliability. I too have an old bass amp (TNT 130 w/15" Black Widow) that took a dive off the back of a moving truck. Not only does it still work with that classic workhorse-style action, it now has an extremely Punk-rock gash down the side (I put some fake blood and a safety pin through it).

You're correct about the common anti-Peavey sentiment, though. I played a gig here in Seattle a couple years ago where the sound guy tried to pull some attitude on me and said that he had a 'no Peavey' policy. I think I changed his mind, though. He had nothing but positive comments about my tone after sound check.

In the studio, I usually use one of my lower power tube amps. But live, I just don't fully trust anything but Peavey.

-Matt M

(BTW, ask me about my Peavey mixer that learned to swim in the ocean sometime)

Harley Peavey has spent a lifetime trying to live down the bad press he got on the early peavey stuff. And it WAS bad.

But, the new stuff is some of the best bang for the buck out there and just about as indestructable as titanium. I don't like all of it, but they do make some very nice equipment today.

Pumpcat -- we had the same amp. I had a TNT 130 w/black widow speaker and it was a workhorse for years and years. I can't tell you how many gigs I've played where a bassist from another band with some fancy boutique amp winds up asking to use my Peavey because of some technical problem. More than a couple times, it's subbed for other people's SVTs.

Now, I use an Eden head and Flite cabs for portability, but I still love the old PEavey.

Best,

--JES

Peavey has made some great gear over the years, and I too have used a lot of it on the road. My PC1600 has held up through some amazingly gear-hostile environments, as has the TubeFex. I still use their keyboards, and handle small clubs with a Triflex system that was built during the days of the Roman Empire, near as I can tell. I'm generally not as much a fan of their mixers, but I'm pretty finicky about what I like and don't like.

For a while it was hip to beat up on Peavey. But you're right, they have been living down a reputation that's outdated. More people are starting to realize that "hey, you know I've had that Peavey [fill in the blank] for 10 years now and it's never screwed up..."

Not everything they've made is great, of course. But if you look in the right places, you'll find cool stuff.

i can't comment on the eq's but i have a 1600x midi controller and it is the bomb for the price and it is rock solid!

also as far as i know peavey is a private comapny with no stockholders giving them slack about the bottom line...that says alot for a 25+ yr old company imho.

"fuzz"

I have to admit that I like the sound of the Classic 30 and Classic 50......got the club grind groove goin on, with the right guitar. I owned a Classic VTX with 2 12's, and it was ok for what it was, sold it to a kid down the block for same price I bought it for. In the old days, Peavy PA's were the norm for high school bands, remember the columns? Used to fit an entire bands gear in my 69 LeSabre, and ride four deep in the front seat. Made for some long rides, short tempers, and worn out gear! Peavey makes a good product, however I can see ole Hartley drinking mint julips with Trent Lott these days. Think he's entered the I me mine era, which probably is what forced his hand to put out the products he has now.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

MY live rig for the last 6 yrs, has been:

Peavey: Tubefex => Classic50/50 => Classic 410E.

I patch a Digitech TSR24 into the FX loop of the Tubefex for Better Reverbs and 8 voice chorus.

This setup has not had so much as a hiccup after going through ALOT of road use. My brother uses a Classic 50 (2/12) for his Jazz and blues bands and it always sounds great too.

Your brand loyalty may vary...

------------------

-----------

KHAN (Always hopeful, yet discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

What I also like a lot about Peavey is that they are one of the very few companies who make amps specifically for steelguitar players like the Session and Nashville series. I have a Nashville 400 with a 15" Black Widow that sound great and has never let me down. It's also very good for clean Telecaster and fiddle and I even used it to play bass through it on a small gig.( It's compact but has a whopping 210 watts amp!).

On a steel guitar forum Mike Brown from Peavey techsupport is all over the place to answer questions and does so in an excellent manner. I've read somewhere that they were chosen #1 in customer service for several years in a row.

Hartley is also cool and I think he's into Country music and steel because I met him once when he did FOH (!) at the International Steel Guitar Convention in St.Louis.

Andre.

Hey thanks a lot you guys rock. I actually owned a TNT also! Thats the very one the fell out of the van. I guess since I would most likely just be using it for live sound it should work, reliablity counts there a little more than tone.

Junior

It's great to hear from people who don't jump on the Peavey Sucks bandwagon. I really like alot of Peavey gear and I've used alot for years. My Classic 30 is an awesome little combo that gigs sometimes four nights a week with me. I disconnected the internal speaker to run it into my 8ohm 900 Series 2x12. Never let me down, though at higher volumes the internal speaker can wear on your tubes. Great stuff, good prices.

Matt

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I have a Peavey duel 15 band EQ that I've always liked a lot. It is very smooth with constant Q filters and never harsh. It is 2 rack spaces so you can make fine adjustments. I've had several Peavey products over the year and will vouch for their quality and road worthyness. Great company. I just wish you could mail order Peavey products.

Archived