Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shure SM57 problem?

While using a brand new 57 for my vocals I began popping Piezio tweeters like crazy. I didn't know why but then someone told me it's because the 57's diaphram/element is so close .. unlike a 58. Ever hear of this before?

If so, would a windscreen fix this?

I can also tell you there's no audible trace of anything loose or broken.

The mic looks and sounds perfect.

Thanx

Bill

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the mic looks and sounds perfect, I think the problem would be with your tweeters. IMHO pizeo tweeters are USELESS in live sound reinforcement. Not enough volume.

A windscreen would definitely stop plosives, but I think your problem is you need more than your current speakers can give.

That's a possibility except that I can blast away with a 58 for months

on the same system with no problems ...it sure does look like it's

the 57.

If that's the case, then you were probably teetering just below the threshold, and the plosives from the 57 are just enough to push you over the edge. A windscreen will take care of this problem. I'm curious, why not just use a 58?

Jason

It's probably just a quirk I've developed, but I feel like I have

much more precise vocal control and way better breath dynamics.

The difference is drastic for me.

It seems odd you would have this problem with the 57 and not the 58. The SM-57 has a little less high end than the 58. Are you sure your levels, cable and all that are good?

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

I like the sound of my voice through a 57 better than a 58, but they do clunk if your mouth touches them and you definately are closer to the diaphram. If you can train youself to always stay around one inch from your 57 it might solve things. I think those wind screens rob you of treble and just generally screw up the sound. I'd never use one unless I was outside on a windy stage. I'll also agree that piezos are just about next to useless.

Archived