Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I had stuck with one digital audio software application on the Mac for a long time. About a year ago, as part of my testing of the TASCAM US-428, I started checking out other software packages. Now, I find that I like some software for some applications, and others for others.

I know that I stuck with the older software for so long because a) it got the job done fine and b) I was used to it and didn't feel like attacking the learning curve when I just wanted to work on some tunes. So now, when I go to work on something new, I decide up from whether I want to work in Digital Performer or Cubase VST.

Do any of you switch around between various DAW applications, or is it just me? Remember, I hadn't done this until I was forced to, so I'm assuming mine is the less likely scenario.

- Jeff

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been using three Steinberg products, Cubase, Nuendo and Wavelab. Cubase for songwriting and MIDI/audio production, Nuendo for studio recording and audio editing, and Wavelab for stereo editing and CD burning. You may be referring to people that switch between more similar programs like Cubase and Logic but this would probably drive me nuts. I know people do this but I can't see learning two programs that do basically the same thing, I don't have that much spare time.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I'm sure I'm the exception, but I do bounce back and forth among programs. For example, I've used Cubase for years, but have recently become enamored of Sonar because of the way it does Acid-like looping. I also use Acid for some projects because it is so focused on making a particular type of music. And, I use PARIS for acoustic projects because its "sound" seems ideal for that type of music.

Part of this is because I review a lot of these products, so I need to learn them anyway. But some programs work best for certain things. One might be better at MIDI, another at audio, another at plug-ins...it all depends.

I wish we had a compatible hard disk/MIDI recording file format. I'd LOVE to be able to open a Cakewalk bundle in Cubase, for example.

I use Calkwalk/Sonar for Midi and Audio composing and Nuendo for EQ /Effects /VSTi,then back to Sonar for mixdown.I wish both programs were one and I didn't have to export files individually.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived