Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is your music dated? How old does your music make you feel?

As all of these posts about 'teenybopper' music have had some debate (For lack of a better word),It seems that the majority of guests on this board could care less about modern teen pop. Is this a sign of the demographic of this forum?

I realize influence comes from everywhere, but most of us find a certain 'nitch' that our own songs fall into, whether it be country, AAA, classic rock etc. Even if you can't exactly label it, it has to be fall somewhere.

Growing up listening to artists like Stevie Wonder, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Blood Sweat and Tears, Van Morrison, Carol King, James Taylor, Bread, Little River band, Wings, Elton John, Martha Reeves, Smoky Robinson,Etc.. I find that my songs do tend to stay on the 'Softer?' side of things.

Does This make me dated? If I would rather hear a funky beat like Aretha's "Rock Steady" beat than a Hip Hop beat, Does this make me dated?

I wonder sometimes.

I still like to listen to ALL of those albums and I pull from them for inspiration.

Being that music is my career, I listen to modern radio as much as possible simply to hear what is current and 'happening' right now and to absorb production ideas. But when the lights go out, I am back writing stuff that would have (maybe?) been bigger in the early 70's AAA market.

The feeling I get about the Industry these days is that there is room for a whole lot of diversity. How true is that?

Cheers.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, considering i dont listen to one type of genre or style. that logic cant really apply to my stuff. i can as happily bang out some beats on a sequencer as i can strum an acoustic as i can light up some tubes with distortion as i can get lost in FX as i can twang away cleany or moderately dirtily http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

my music doesnt make me feel an age. as time passes, it brings back memories of the session or whatever was going on at the time. same as albums of others tend to do. the soundtracks to my life marking the time that i first encountered whatever new sound or when i finally related most to it.

there is probably several stories behind every cd that i own and more behind those i dont own anymore.

and since i have never been in a band that say was trying to be the next so and so, i dont think any of the sounds date to the rest of society, maybe to me... i had one song that finally came almost into its own 7 years down the road and STILL didnt sound like anything else out there.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Good points, Alpha...

I used to wear bell bottoms, and the girls at school used to wear what they call "hip huggers"...well, a lot of the kids today are wearing that. It went out of style for a bit, now back in, as the sixties/seventies look comes back..

My point? Well, music's the same way. If it's a good song, it'll never really go out of style. It might lose favor for awhile...but so many bands are doing covers of stuff that was out thirty years ago these days. Seems like I'm always hearing my kids say "Hey, you heard that new song by ____?" and they're flipping out 'cause I know all the words. And then I have to tell 'em that the song is thirty years old.

My daughter, Lindsay, flipped out when one night our acoustic band was playing "Everything I Own" by Bread. She says "How'd you know that N'Sync song (or was it Backstreet?)? I laughed long and hard. Played her the original version. So, if it's a good song, don't worry about how dated it sounds. Go for it.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Good topic. I'm older; 40 something (man, 30 something sounded so much cooler) but I still try to listen to the current radio. There's a bunch I like such as Bare Naked Ladies, Matchbox 20, Vertical Horizon etc. but most of it I don't care for so perhaps even tho I don't have kids, a generation gap is showing. I've never understood or cared for rap, I mean if Bobby Brown is singing a song and raps a bit for the middle 8 and then carries on singing then that's cool, but a whole song?! It's melodies that I love so I'm left cold with that stuff. I shudder at all these singers who feel they need to do 500 vocal licks at the end of every phrase when they ought to be holding a whole note. That scooped out middle heavy metal guitar sound is irritating as hell. Don't any teenage black kids listen to Aretha or Earth Wind & Fire or even Prince? God I miss soul music a la 60's & 70's.

As far as our originals go, I can't really think they sound dated cos we cover so much territory stylistically. The only binding feature is vocals and good melodies. I do tend to include one "if I'd been a Beatle in the early 60's" tune but they are suppose to sound dated. We do our version of hard rock, British invasion, country, jazzy and swingish, folk/unplugged, all synth pop among other styles. If some one wants to spot me about $750 large, I'll have some of our tunes in the Billboard top 10, no problem.

I mean, how can you say someone who grew up in the 70's could have dated sounding music when so many of those tunes (like Tedster said) are being covered by the corporate machine bands?

Perhaps this is the reason I am so forgiving w. the teeny-boopper music coz I do NOT EVER want to turn into my parents in the sense of "todays music sucks"... becase we all know from OUR OWN experience when we were kids that when the parents say this, THEY are the one who are wrong.

If I do not like current music, the fault lies with my taste, not with current music. When this happens to you, be very very afraid http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

/Z

I got this message last week - and it's a real eye-opener when you're looking to gain some perspective into "today's kids" or "today's music." Forgive me if you already got it...

Beloit College puts these out every year.....

CLASS OF 2004

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change

things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a

list to try to give the Faculty a sense of the mind set of this year's

incoming freshman. Here is this year's list:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in

They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not

know he had ever been shot.

They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.

Black Monday, 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.

There has been only one Pope.

They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold

War.

They have never feared a nuclear war.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Tiananmen Square means nothing to them.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.

The expression you sound like a broken record means nothing to them. They

have never owned a record player.

They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.

They may have never heard of an 8 track.

The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.

As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents.

They have always had an answering machine.

Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a

black and white TV.

They have always had cable.

There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA was.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is, or know about the "Help me,

I've

fallen and I can't get up" commercial.

Feeling old Yet? There's more:

They were born the year that the Sony Walkman was introduced.

Roller skating has always meant inline for them.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They have never seen Larry Bird play.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil

War.

They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "De

plane, de plane!".

They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R.was.

The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was.

Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not rock bands.

McDonalds food never came in styrofoam containers.

There has always been MTV.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Well if the "Sounds Like" thread is any indication, the cycle will bring supposedly dated genre's back again. I ain't squirming in my seat hoping the next wave of Poison like bands come back, however I'd love to see some of those old forties country styles come back (and some have in Alt Country), or late twenties/early thirties Satchmo....too cool. My own music???? Well it sounds like Ry Cooder had a love child with Neil Young at times, and other times like Buck Owens, and other times Johnny Winter....so it's hard to nail down. I have so many influences that it'd be damn tough to nail one down. Hey I might even do a Celtic jig tomorrow....depends on what suits my fancy at that particular moment. As far as feeling old with respect to my music....that ain't what makes me feel old.....it's mirrors!!!!!!!!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Well, I was talking with someone this weekend who is 19 years old (just on the end core demographic for the teenybopper bands). She used to really dig N'Sync and the bunch, and she was complaining that...

* The radio sucks.

* Teenybopper music sucks.

* MTV sucks.

* There's no good music to listen to.

I told her I thought she would feel right at home on the musicplayer.com forums! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Actually, I wonder if even the teenyboppers are getting tired of the teenybopper scene. This particular person told me that she was now more into '70s R&B (specifically, Marvin Gaye) more than anything on the radio.

Because she likes '70s R&B, does that make her old?

It's been my experience that a lot of today's "younger generation" is more interested in older music than previous generations. Because music is not as important as it once was in terms of "making a statement," kids have less emotional investment in making it an "us vs. them" situation -- they listen to what they want to listen to, whether it's Led Zeppelin or N'Sync. When hanging out with DJs, I sometimes get the impression that right now, more 30 year olds than 50 year olds are listening to Miles Davis...

As to my own music, I sometimes feel like I'm stuck in some kind of time warp that's half 1965 and half 2065 ...

One other thing. Having experience needn't be an albatross, as that experience can give you an advantage when working with contemporary music. For example, when working with DJs and dance music people, my psychedelic music experience comes in real handy...I mean, they know how to tweak filter knobs too, but they don't know as much about filtering in general, or how to use it. I think one reason my guitar playing has been accepted by the people I play with is because it's something they haven't heard before, even though a lot of what I do hasn't changed from what I did a few decades ago. Just as bellbottoms have made a comeback, so has psychedelic guitar, and I'm in a perfect position to take advantage of that. What's old becomes new again...

I totally agree about how your guitar playing is somehow new to the younger folk. I get the same thing. And I play slide, and it's as if it's this brand new thing to some folk.....I'm diggin it!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I was looking at my music CD and and vinyl collection and I noticed that it's all from the 90's and the 70's. Either I forgot to buy anything in the 80's or else I found all of the music from that decade objectionable.

I've just recently pulled out all my Jon-Luc Ponty albums from 1975-1983. Some would consider jazz-fusion from that era very dated, but to me it sounds very fresh and I appreciate the adventurous nature of his compostions even more today than 25 years ago.

This message has been edited by SteveRB on 07-02-2001 at 05:23 PM

man, that list made ME feel old.

but listening to bubblegum pop doesnt join the divide, every generation has had bubblegum pop that most have hated. the beatles were bubblegum pop for a while, then they did drugs.

btw, according to someone i know at SFX, the bubblegum pop is on the decline. bad times make for great music, should be some superb stuff coming out soon.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Originally posted by SteveRB:

I've just recently pulled out all my Jon-Luc Ponty albums from 1975-1983. Some would consider jazz-fusion from that era very dated, but to me it sounds very

"Enigmatic Ocean" was great.

For More Added Strangeness I currently teach a kid of about 13 who is a completely prog-head. Came into his first lesson wanting to learn King Crimson. Go figure.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

point to ponder: it's just as far back from today to the 1977 clash/sex pistols punk rock explosion as it was from 1977 to the 1955 elvis/little richard rock and roll explosion.... (i have socks older than the current playboy centerfold!)

-d. gauss

Well, being 23, I feel that I'm part of the demo that a lot of people are trying to target with their playlists. I am bored to tears with most current music.

Electric Ladyland is one of my all time favorite albums for just digging the sound. I'm too old to understand why Britney and NStink and them are really popular, but they do remind me of the New Kids, which I was between 10-13 for. I never liked them either.

Current rock that they play on the radio really sucks donkey ass. Creed? Please! Change it so I don't fall the hell asleep. Where's the FEELING to music? I actually find myself listening to (gasp!) the OLDIES station lately because they play more of the stuff I dig from the 60's and 70's. The fucked up thing is that they'll play The Zombies and then follow it up with the Captian and Tennille. Ugh. Change it to the Classic Rock station and you get the greatest shitty songs from 75-85. What a crock. I don't want to hear "Old Time Rock and ROll" or "More Than a Feeling" I wanna ROCK! (hey, that rhymed! I'm a poet and I don't even know it!)

Beck, Ben Folds, Marcy Playground, Barenaked Ladies (less so lately, Maroon is very derviative), and Lenny Kravitz are a few of the current artists who I dig...I guess I don't fit the mold...

And I HATED the fucking 80's. Worst years of my life! I don't want to do the "retro pop reunion" every weekend. Jesus christ that stuff was dreck then, and it certainly hasn't aged gracefully!

Dan Roth

Otitis Media

Originally posted by Anderton:

It's been my experience that a lot of today's "younger generation" is more interested in older music than previous generations.

My mom looks at me like I'm nuts if she hears me play Les Paul's music... "Isn't that something from grandma's era...?"

Meanwhile, she digs N'Sync and Celine Dion. Go figure.

Archived