Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Samples Copyright

1. I need some sound of screams, steps, closing doors, and all that. I found many on the net, but how can I know if they are copyrighted?

2. I need drum elements samples to. I find a site where the webmaster put samples of a roland perc module, single hit samples. Does those samples has copyright from roland? Could I use those samples without having the module?

Rebuilding My Self

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<1. I need some sound of screams, steps, closing doors, and all that. I found many on the net, but how can I know if they are copyrighted?>>

I think you're best off getting a good, license-free sound effects library...then you don't have to worry about it.

<<2. I need drum elements samples to. I find a site where the webmaster put samples of a roland perc module, single hit samples. Does those samples has copyright from roland? Could I use those samples without having the module? >>

Manufacturers vary on this, but Roland seems to have no interested in prosecuting people who use or imitate their sounds. When Propellerheads were going to come out with ReBirth, they checked with Roland and got the go-ahead. Apparently Roland feels that as they don't make the units any more, it's not a problem. If you were to sample a current product, though, it might be a different story...I don't know.

Archived