Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It Was 20 Yrs Ago Today !!

Last Fall I picked up a pair of HHB Circle 3 active nearfields. It would take forever to sit and listen to all my own music, much less all the CDs of all my favorite artists. However, I just popped in Rush "Moving Pictures" and just about fell out of my chair when I cranked it up.

WOWSA !!!! What a great sounding album even twenty years later. I was moved back then, but man I had no idea I'd feel the way I do today after having listened to it again. My hat is still off to Rush and Terry Brown.

Russ

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terry Brown is the stuff!

A friend of mine is in a band called "The Tiles", they hired Terry Brown to do the mixing on a CD they released called "Fencing the Clear". I was able to hear the before (mixed locally by some, um, schmuck) and after "T. Brown mixes", and WOW!!, what a difference! He has the golden ears.

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

"Moving Pictures" is also a very well arranged album. It's more sparse and open than some of Rush's earlier, more bombastic titles. Less rhythm guitar and synth overdubs while Lifeson is playing leads...Geddy's bass lines just pop out like mad, and Peart does some of his best work.

Yeah, from that opening filter sweep/bass note/drum lick of "Tom Sawyer", that album has me hooked every time I put it on. Hats off to Terry Brown from me as well. Is it really 20 years old? I remember distinctly buying the LP at a record store...doesn't seem so long ago.

- Jeff

My band started to play Tom Sawyer on a lark a couple years ago. Now it's the most requested song we do. Go figure.

This message has been edited by Yuri T. on 07-02-2001 at 01:08 PM

The original album is great. However, I picked up a remastered version, and it sucked. What's the point in ruining a great recording and then charging more for it?

Suddenly ahead of me across the mountainside

A gleaming alloy aircar shoot toward me two lanes wide

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

It became obvious to me how long ago Rush was in their heyday three years ago. We spent the whole summer putting together a Rush tribute, and the whole fall finding out there was not much work out there for such a thing.

It was a fun summer though. We did a lot of the hardcore stuff. Hemispheres, Xanadu, Natural Science, 2112, and of course a lot of stuff from Moving Pictures. Red Barchetta is probably my favorite song to play live ever. Now we do a Pink Floyd tribute because it is steady work and the money is pretty good. But there is nothing like ripping into The Temples of Syrinx to get the adrenaline going.

------------------

-----------

KHAN (Always hopeful, yet discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by KHAN:

Now we do a Pink Floyd tribute because it is steady work and the money is pretty good.

Is it good enough that it's your sole business?

Just listened to your clips - sounds good. The solo in "Dogs", great job matching the sound as well. Your drummer sounds good, great drum sounds - I like that he matched the intervals on "Time", but I wish he wouldn't have been so busy. It's cool to hear your keyboard player match his parts so well, that broke my band before we got going good.

Have you heard many Floyd tribute bands? There's supposed to be one in Australia that has bought old Floyd gear and uses the right pieces for each tune... Can't remember their name, haven't heard them though. Used to be one out of Atlanta - I can't remember their name now, but the singer/guitar player sounded just like Gilmour, uncanny... but was a mediocre guitar player, drove me nuts. Heavy metal drummer with huge toms as well.... You guys sound like you've got a nice mix.

If you ever break your hand and need a replacement look me up... At one point I probably knew most of their catalog, barring Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother, but it would take a few days to work up. All of the "known" stuff I could probably do right now. Always had fun doing Floyd tunes....

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

<>

FYI, tribute bands have long been big business in australia due to the expense of the "real thing" touring there. there is an australian CD that came out about 8 years ago called "stairways to heaven" which is a riot. the whole disc is the top "tribute" bands in australia doing "stairway to heaven" in the style of the band that the pay tribute to i.e beatles, B-52's, Doors, elvis etc.... lots of fun.

-d. gauss

Shhh...this is a secret...don't tell anyone http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

In 1983 or so, I had a Rush cover band called "Permanent Waves". I was Geddy, minus the vocals. This means I played bass and synth. My drummer, as you'd imagine, was incredible.

We didn't do this band for anyone but ourselves, but we still played out quite often. One time, we were finishing a set and the band playing after us got impatient and started yelling at us from backstage. I assured the guy that we were only doing one more tune...and then played the first two chords of "2112". Twenty minutes or so later, we politely left the stage.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

>>> Is it good enough that it's your sole business?

---------

Only if we went on the road, Which is not high on my list of things to do.

>>>Have you heard many Floyd tribute bands?

---------

No I never have. I'd like to though.

>>>If you ever break your hand and need a replacement look me up... -----

If I ever need a "temporary replacement", I won't be getting one who can *TOAST* me on his worst day. Yep, incredibly average will do nicely. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------

KHAN (Always hopeful, yet discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Archived