Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

just getting started

i want to get started producing/recording in home, and am seeking advice putting together a computer based system for about $2k, with the ability to expand as more $$ become available. i want to be able to create sounds/beats using synths or sampler coupled with live instruments. any advice on the pros/cons of soft/hard synths, samplers, sequencers, hard disk recorders, tec. would be appreciated. thank in advance.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dig around my feable site and see what you can pick up from it.

www.audiomaverick.com

I used Midiman (M Audio) Delta-1010 cards for my system. From what you are describing, I'd probably suggest the Motu "MkII" 2408. It runs a little more, but is quite a bit more than just analog inputs, like the Delta.

For system boards, check out the Asus boards. Here are 2...

- Intel -

http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/ddr266/cuv266/index.html

- Athalon

http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/socketa/a7a266/index.html

Those are both rated with "DDR" memory. It is really not much more than SDRAM, and much cheaper than RDRAM.

Drop a note to my email if yo have any questions...

------------------

AudioMaverick(.com)

"If it sounds good, well..."

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

>>i want to get started producing/recording in home, and am seeking advice putting together a computer based system for about $2k, with the ability to expand as more $$ become available. i want to be able to create sounds/beats using synths or sampler coupled with live instruments. any advice on the pros/cons of soft/hard synths, samplers, sequencers, hard disk recorders, tec. would be appreciated. thank in advance.<<

Just getting started? Hmmm...

Roland VS1880's are going for about $1800US right now. Configured like a standard multi-track recorder, 18 tracks playback, hundreds of virtual tracks (virtual tracks rule: you can develop a song without ever losing your original ideas), non-destructive cut-and-paste editing, onboard effects, MIDI clock (to sync up those beatboxes and sequencers), automated mixing, optional CD burning, portable, stable, easy, cheap, all in one box, no computer engineering degrees necessary...a good way to get your feet wet in the digital recording pool without drowning in it.

I've been using the Roland VS880EX for about a year now, and I'm still amazed by it. You could get one of those puppies for under a grand, and spend the rest on a Korg ElectribeS sampler/sequencer, and a Roland XP-10 synthe, and you'd be good ta go. Then if ya wanna go DAW (what you call "computer based system"), get a Digi001 card with ProTools LE. Track to the VS, and then export those tracks to ProTools for that pro-editing experience. Yo!

curvedominant

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Archived