Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, and now IBICC? Is IBICC 'in tune' with the times?

Take care wilpye and lots of luck with IBICC.

My apologies for my seemingly waning interest just

as the topic around here got charged up and interesting.

I'm very interested in your Bytone System and truly

hope to investigate it more and experiment with it

sometime in the future.

My worst fears have slowly unfolded on my health

front the last week and a half and trying to comprehend

the upcoming battle for survival presently is leaving me

unable to even think much about the music. Something I'm

sure will pass with a bit of time as I adapt.

I'll be watching out for you and you're great ideas.

God bless

------------------

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnermusic

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have spent a marlevous time with this topic. I am high and dry with a sprained ankle, and this was a fine diversion.

Mr. Pye, at first I thought you were a kook, then I began to think of you as 'our' kook, and now I think one day many of us may become 'your' kooks. When I read Fantastic Sound's section on microtuning, I began to comprehend what was going on.

I come from the classical world, and here's my input on gaining "Appreciable Artistic Merit". The highest authorities in this genre are the conductors. I especially recommend Michael Tilson-Thomas, now in New York. You should offer to process one of his multi-track masters (some work composed sans grand piano, which I assume you cannot retune after recording). That's the acid test in the classical realm. If he gives a thumbs up that ByTone sounds better, IBICC is almost home free.

Out of respect, I do not list his phone or address, but you can easily obtain these. I recommend this man because he is open minded, and carries a tremendous mantle of respect. With him on board, other conductors will follow.

Lastly, I was adrift at the line "Now if we could get Pop interested again". Will someone kindly tell me what this refers to?

Originally posted by Symphonic Lady:

Mr. Pye, at first I thought you were a kook, then I began to think of you as 'our' kook, and now I think one day many of us may become 'your' kooks. When I read Fantastic Sound's section on microtuning, I began to comprehend what was going on...

Thank you. This means a lot to me, to clarify this ingenious idea. I believe Wil is definately on to a solution to the problem of writers and musicians getting their just rewards from music performance.

...Lastly, I was adrift at the line "Now if we could get Pop interested again". Will someone kindly tell me what this refers to?

Simply a request to rejoin Popmusic, another inquisitive mind on these forums, back into the conversation. He was clearly not happy with the thought of auto tuning a performance at the string by string level. I can't say I blame him. But this has turned out to be something quite different than the original, supposed, idea behind Wil's invention. I don't know if he would like Bytone, or use a native instrument to play bytone without electronic aid, but I'm sure he'd be interested in getting paid of his work, no matter how many or how few times it appeared on broadcast.

Wil, would you please email me at fantasticsound@hotmail.com

I'll be in and out of town, but would like to keep in touch regarding Bytone and native instruments.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have communicated privately with fantasticsound as requested.

Symphonic Lady advises >>>You should offer to process one of his multi-track masters<<<

This is solid advice. However, I would assume that no prior multitracks of orchestras have been taken down with the intense separation required (to be able to later go back & retune the tracks from E.T. to another intonation system). To a conductor we could offer to financially participate in a special recording session where each sound source is tight miked & isolated. After the musicians have familiarized themselves with fingering the two Bytone scales, the free pitch instruments such as violins, cellos, etc. could be taken down in the traditional manner with room mikes. These instruments would be played together in an overdub to the previously tuned section of the orchestra. And after mixdown this will be the first recorded Bytone Orchestra.

I totally believe that a 'native' Orchestra (including grand piano) will one day generate the first real time recordings. IBICC will obviously work closely with whoever also shares this goal, and who subsequently emerges as the leading candidate to do this.

Prior to this, to get things rolling..., I expect IBICC will commission a full blown recording session of a 'name' string section to produce a CD of some quality real time Bytone performances. This could be done at any time as fretless instuments only need talented hands, ears, and minds.

Thank you for a stimulating and sincere post, Symphonic Lady!

WFTurner.

I (and many other friends that you've clearly made on this forum) will be constantly sending good vibrations your way. Breathe good air, drink clean water, and know that (from the worst of us to the best of us) we are mighty spirits, and eternal.

This message has been edited by wilpye on 06-27-2001 at 10:07 PM

Archived