Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do it yourself music video

People have been adding some great links to my weird stuff on the internet thread. As some of you might know, I've been working with digital video for the last 12 years, most recently on DV editing tools.

I have the same sense of excitement about video that I had about audio back in 1988. At that point, you could load "CD Quality" audio on to your computer, edit it and spit it back to a CD. Now, we're at the point now where people can shoot and edit commercial quality video without breaking the bank. QuickTime, Flash, Real, Windows Media - these provide ways to get your video on to the net and hopefully to a wider audience. There are even cheap DVD burners coming on the market.

What do people think? Are we ready for the video project studio revolution. Anyone out there making music videos for the web?

jw

This message has been edited by John Worthington on 06-04-2001 at 11:33 PM

Affiliations: Jambé

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually its already happening, and suprisingly the film industry is embracing it rather than fight it as the music industry has... and still does.

I AM SO EXCITED! i used to spend hundreds of hours just ot make one video on thousands of dollars of equipment. im so stoked about this that i can not only afford it, the video quality is REALLY IMPROVING as well as what one can actually do.

team it up with surround capabilities in project studios and we have it made http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

That IS great! Until...

Until some clever kid comes up with a great idea of online video trading where would-be directors can trade theirs and their idols films! Then James Cameron rolls into their office with wheel barrels of user-names claiming its "Stealing" and the whole thing comes to an end as fast as it sprung up!

Sorry...Couldnt resist.

This message has been edited by Duhduh on 06-05-2001 at 02:22 AM

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Yesss! I love it!

I used to be forced to do videos in flash, like this one (unfinished) or this one (for christmas) ...

...but with the advent of DV things have changed. The first attempts were kinda stumbling (two vids here , not edited by me though, and lots of mistakes and problems, but cool 19:th century clothes and the steam engines rock http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif )....

And in the old saying of "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself", I shot, "directed" (LOL), edited, whatnot this thing, which is probably my best work , so far. The little red-and-yellow-striped authentic real live one-of-a-kind experimentally classed 1930's Stampe SV4 Airplane does help a lot http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gifDONT MISS THIS VIDEO!

So yeah tomorrow is here already!

/Z

I've been doing a ton of videos for this site, as well as some other sites, and expect to do more. Andy Ellis, another of our editors, has also contributed some great videos to the site: check out his piece on the Cyber-Twin, for example.

Vegas Video absolutely rules. What a great program.

What things are missing. As I mentioned, I'm working on software (CineStream) specifically designed for DV and web stuff. I'd love to hear some of people's requests.

I had my Ti Powerbook and little DV camera (a Sony PC-100) in my bag at a friend's studio a couple of month's ago. On a whim, I should some video, took a feed from the board and cut a quick music video. They were blown away and asked for a copy. We dumped it to VHS then and there.

Just heard they got signed, in part because of the "cool video." I hope they remember me when the big budget work comes up. Good thing I dropped a slide with my name and number at the end of the tape.

jw

Main tool is Photoshop 6 I take the layers and import them into Adobe After Effects After Effects is great for compositing effects, creating titles, animation (lots of stuff you see on TV is done with it) been using 4.0 for about 2 years and upgraded to 5.0 Production Bundle last month. It's worth checking out it can take those low budget videos to a new level. Flash is also great for video work coupled with After Effects.

I'm planning on making a music video for one of my songs once I finish my new 4 song demo.

Will probably start that at the end of this summer. I use 3D Studio Max to make animations, can output to video. Its an amazing program. It has a camera matching utility that enables you to mix CGI/Virtual Sets, etc. with live action shots. I don't have a digital video camera yet, but my girlfriend is getting one soon!

Its so inspiring, I just wish I had more $ and time! (working 9-5) sure does take a bite.

Peace,

M

http://www.madfor3d.com

<

>>

As mentioned elsewhere in here, I'm using Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video. It's very versatile, but you can be comatose and still make it work.

As to John's request for input, I'd like to be able to mix typefaces/fonts etc. in the same title -- something Vegas Video doesn't do. I'd also like to see support for a hardware device, like a Peavey PC1600, so you could do pans, rolls, fades, etc. in real time. As things stand now, you have to make the change, see if looks cool, tweak, check again, tweak, etc. It would be great to just be able to grab a fader to, for example, fade something to black, or pan a title across the screen.

Originally posted by Anderton:

It would be great to just be able to grab a fader to, for example, fade something to black, or pan a title across the screen.

Reminds me of a performance piece I did years ago with my AirDrums and a video toaster. I wrote a MIDI Manager program that would spit out Rex commands in response to MIDI input. The Toaster would all control of transitions via Rex.

I could wave the baton from the AirDrums to trigger the transitions. Velocity controlled the rate. Pretty cool for 1992. I wonder what I did with the code?

jw

You have your niece bring over all of her highschool friends. Just dont forget to tell their parents first. Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

I've also had great luck with kids from the local performing arts schools. They love to get portfolio material and most are pretty talented. Who knows maybe I've got the next Brittney on tape. I'll be able to make extra money selling it to MTV when she's famous

jw

Archived