Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your portable multitrack recorder of choice

To take a spin off of Craigs post, What is your portable multitrack recorder of choice when you don't have access to an electrical outlet?

I have recently started taking my hard disk recorder (VF-16) on little weekend camping trip escursions. I really enjoy getting out into nature and pluging up my recorder, grabbing my acoustic and layin down some tracks. The problem is not all campgrounds have electricity, plus I'd actually like to get away from all other distractions, and that generally means going where there is no elctrical outlets to plug into. I've tried just using a little tape recorder but the sound quality sucks and I'd still like to have at least 2 tracks and the ability to punch in and out.

Are there any other good battery powered solutions other than a laptop. I'd love to get a laptop but just can't afford one, by the time you figure in the price of the computer plus the audio interface that gets to be some serious cash, maybe in the future but for now that's not an option. Is there some type of battery system I could hook my recorder up to that would provide power for an adequate length of time. Maybe something like the battery powered setup for the Fender Passport PA system. Any thoughts/suggestions??

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For on-location multitrack I have successfully used a 3-pack of DA-88´s. Would not mind bringing The Radar II either, but it sits nicely in a fully-booked studio... Have used the Radar on a couple of field trips though and it worked out just fine, thank you.

For two-track I´d use Masterlink or, if there´s no electrical outlets, my beautiful girlfriends wonderful Nagra (and she´s got 2 Nagras... and me, what a lucky girl. We will even get married soon!).

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I'm NEVER without an outlet -- I have an emergency car starting battery with a lighter socket & a 300W (500peak) power inverter. I take an ADAT XT20 everywhere. For less demanding duty my upgraded Powerbook G3 with Deck II, Cubase VST & Soundedit 16.

Scott

Originally posted by S_Gould:

I'm NEVER without an outlet -- I have an emergency car starting battery with a lighter socket & a 300W (500peak) power inverter. I take an ADAT XT20 everywhere. For less demanding duty my upgraded Powerbook G3 with Deck II, Cubase VST & Soundedit 16.

Scott

You've got to be kidding. The ADAT XT20 is a step UP from your G3 DAW? Methinks the Mac enthusiasts have been lying or you've mistyped something here. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

My bro produces a new radio program on Business Talk Radio. He decided to invest in the best laptop Dell could build him to record radio blurbs, spots, and handle business. It would need a good interface for non-radio application. Personally I can't wait until the 2nd and 3rd wave of firewire audio gear hits the market. As they just hit with the first wave, it'll probably be a year before we see the real potential of this technology for multitrack.. One cable between gear.. Oops.. drooling!

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I bring a little Sony Minidisc recorder when out in "nature" and it has served me well, it ain't a multitrack, but it's a great sketchpad, and with the right mic it captures ambient sound well. I don't think I'd bring a VF16 in the woods, but that's me.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by strat0124:

I bring a little Sony Minidisc recorder when out in "nature" and it has served me well, it ain't a multitrack, but it's a great sketchpad, and with the right mic it captures ambient sound well. I don't think I'd bring a VF16 in the woods, but that's me.

Oh, yeah.. I use a minidisc to make 2-mixes of live gigs. I have a pretty good disc of Bill Frisell, from when I mixed him. He doesn't discourage bootlegs. (Another guy in the audience had a Dat and a stereo mic setup on a stand.) My feeds were direct from two aux sends.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah, MD has totally taken over DAT for me here. A few years ago I had to make a CD (copy after the gig) 'cause not so many folks had MD. Now I just sell the MD (I run two MDs so I have a copy myself) to the band for a beer or whatever.. everybody seems to have a MD. There's at least always one in the band who's got one..

Anyone got experiences with Tascam MDs?

Neil -

Yes, the XT20 is a step up because I can record 8 tracks simultaneously. My Powerbook is a "Wallstreet" with the BlueChip 466mhz upgrade.I use a PC card USB port & Roland UA-30 to get the audio in. For what I'd have to pay to further upgrade this aging laptop to reliably handle 8 tracks of I/O, I might as well get a new one (which I probably will later this year).

Scott

I've been bringing my little $300 8mm camcorder to gigs in place of a boombox or whatever for "documentation" purposes. It's small and tidy, plus the bonus of the video. The way I look at it is I'm not going to try to make a CD of a performance - if I am, it's going to require a major expenditure of energy and money hauling out "real" gear, so why bother otherwise?

I *almost* bought one of those Creative Labs Nomad jukebox mp3 players. I needed something for the car, and it claimed to record "DAT quality 44/16>.wav"... after investigating I found it has some sort of bad self-hum problem, and based on user sample files it has zilch headroom on the input electronics. But it would have been very cool if it worked as claimed, I could have taken care of two problems with one solution. Oh well...

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I still use my Sony D-7 DAT for picking up sound effects. I have used one of my DA-88s portable with a frequency controlled, sine wave inverter. Some of these AC devices do not like square wave inverters. Be careful!

I posted this question earlier this month at Roger's forum and was surprised there were no responses.

"I remember when the Sony FD-71 Mavica digital camera came out, I told my friend, next they'll come out with one that writes to CD. Sure enough, the CD-1000 writes to a 3" CD-R. If anyone has used one of these cameras you'll agree about how cool the lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are. If Sony were to make a portable CD recorder the size of a CD walkman, would you buy one?"

GY

Archived