Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well, it looks like it's time to send S.F. some more money... has anyone upgraded yet? What's new and how is it doing for you? I noticed they added some MIDI capabilities - any comments?

All info appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

pokeefe777@msn.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried a demo version of 2.0 I think and it was

kind of neat. I don't really do the type of music

this program is designed for but...

during the past few years while the boy has had some of the

hip-hopish, rap type stuff blaring in his bedroom. With the door closed

all I can really hear is the strong beats and I got to where I was kinda

singing a few fast traditional country tunes to the rthyms and I kinda

got the idea in my mind of redemoing them with a hip hop type of drum kit.

Kinda imagine Merles, Ramblin Fever with hip hop drums.

I tried the demo with some scratch tracks on that particular song and it's really cool and I guess that's the program I'd want to use.

------------------

William F. Turner

Guitarist, Composer, Songwriter

turnermusic

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

ACID 3.0 plays and records MIDI tracks, but offers no type of editing. What a pisser! Their argument is that you can't do any real audio editing in ACID, so they want to do the same for Vegas. I'm hoping that they add full MIDI support to Vegas 3.0, but I'm not holding my breath. Even better, do what Cakewalk did with Sonar and merge all of the ACID functionality into Vegas. While were at it, throw in a non-destructive stereo editing feature, and I wouldn't need to use Sound Forge or ACID anymore. I'm still debating about upgrading as well. It's only $99, but $99 is still $99. I still use ACID 1.0, and it does pretty much all that I need. But the MIDI playback and DLS support is cool, so I might do it.

-Dylan

Acid???? No editing???

I'm a newbie to this forum... and really don't want to ruffle any feathers.... But you can edit the cold living crap out of .midi and .wav files in 3.0

Give this a shot....

Open your .midi file... If it's a multitrak.. delete all but one of the tracks and save it as...... a .wav Simple as that.

Repeat the process for each individual track and, viola, multitrack, editable, file to add or delete stuff.

Not interrested in changing much in the .midi multitrack?

Not interrested in changing the .midi file extension?

Try this;

On any individual track, right click..... A window will pop up and you have several options..... Pick Envelope.

The Envelope option gives you the opportunity to Pan/Volume/FX1/FX2 at any specific point in the song.

Admittedly, the two FX options are Pre-Fade, so you really have to be carefull about the actual settings on your FXs..... Specially the volume level. But, the Pan and Volume levels are really accurate and can help to solve a multitude of evils.

OK, so I'm not the most experienced person on this thread.

But if Panning, Volume Automation and adding FXs isn't editing?

What is?

I know Acid advertises itself as a "looping" tool, but I use it for Live recording also.... albeit one track at a time... It works very nicely for me http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

my $.02 worth

This message has been edited by GL1 on 05-24-2001 at 02:03 PM

Go ahead....listen at your own risk :)

http://mahotmagumbo.iuma.com

Originally posted by GL1:

But if Panning, Volume Automation and adding FXs isn't editing?

What is?

I'd put these features into a processing/mixing category, not editing. MIDI editing usually gives you access to change any parameter of pitch, duration, attack, etc. For example, in ACID 3.0, if I play a piano part and make a mistake, I cannot change any aspect of the performance without re-recording my performance. But in a program like Cakewalk or Cubase, you can change ANYTHING.

-Dylan

I use 2.0 and it gets better the more you use it. I need to do the 3.0 upgrade. I'm not going to need the midi (I'll probably try using it and end up hooked on that feature), but it looks like they have added some features to it that will make it be good for remixes.

This is kind of crazy, because I posted something a while back to Craig asking him some advice about loading an entire song into Acid and what I needed to do to get the tempo issues straight. This seems to be the main thing they have addressed in 3.0.

As for the editing, they do include their Sound Forge XP basic editor with Acid. Yeah, it isn't their full featured editor, but it does get the job done. And it was good enough and intuitive enough that it made me get the REAL Sound Forge 5.0 when it came out.

Sonic Foundry has my future business and support. I think they make good products that are intuitive, stable (I've never crashed a SF program), and do what they are suppossed to.

And Vegas Video is outstanding. What a simple, clean, intuitive way to deal with a very complex process.

It's also good to see that Sonic Foundry is over its case of NASDAQ flu, and is back to updating their core products.

Thanks everyone for the replies and opinions.

I've been using Acid for a while, but I don't use it very often. Mostly for doing "drum parts" for songwriting demos... and I don't do "the styles it was designed for" either. Acid is actually very useful for other things besides rap, house, trance, etc.

I use Vegas Audio 2.0 a LOT and I agree with Craig - Vegas is a kickin' program! I'd probably use it all the time, but since there's no MIDI support (as of 2.0) I still use Logic Platinum. I actually prefer Vegas for a lot of audio only tasks over Logic, but I do need MIDI from time to time, and until they add full MIDI sequencing to Vegas, IMO they're limiting their market share potential.

Sonic Foundry makes great software, and their current upgrade offers are incredible bargains.

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

pokeefe777@msn.com

I am continually impressed by Sonic Foundry. I've used Acid and SoundForge quite a bit with NO problems. We were able to catch their demo of Vegas at last years NAMM and they seemed to cover most all bases. They really seem to think ahead and make some solid product!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Phil -- What kind of music do you use Acid for? I've got the drum tools CD and the RADS CD and want to use it to set down beats for indie rock tunes, but I'm not happy with the results -- stuff sounds too "Aerosmith" or something.

Another problem I have is that I do a lot of weird accents, stops and starts. Hard to program the accents right on with Acid.

Any advice appreciated.

Best,

--JES

(I'm heading out of town for a few days so if I don't write back and say "thanks" right away it's not cause I'm ungrateful)

JES:

I do mostly rock, alternative and pop-rock type stuff... pretty traditional song structures.

Acid (at least my current version) doesn't do triplets (you can't set the grid up for anything other than 1/4, 1/8ths, etc) which is IMO a pretty bad ommission. Accents are usually performed by substituting different samples for the accented hits. Maybe some of this has been addressed in 3.0.

I have both the CD's you mentioned, and the only other "rock" loop CD I've found that I really like is the Sampleheads NY City Drumworks, although I'm sure there's some others out there. But even then, I'm always a bit disappointed in the results myself. I'd never consider using them for a finished project, but I prefer the feel over programming on a drum machine or computer - and I (all modesty aside) got fairly good at doing that. I spent a lot of time playing with great drummers and recording great drummers over the years, and I always tried to make the parts as "realistic" as possible - but IMO, for rock stuff, nothing beats a "real" drummer.

I do wish that there was more selection available in sample CD's for "rock" and other styles beyond the usual techno D&B, house, etc. but I suppose they are going to produce things for the greatest market, and let's face it - those are the biggest markets for sample CD's.

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

pokeefe777@msn.com

I agree that there are not enough rootsy type sample loops out there.Have you guys tried "Performance Loops Drums" from BigFishAudio.It's pretty good and it's Acidized.

Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com:

JES:

I do mostly rock, alternative and pop-rock type stuff... pretty traditional song structures.

Acid (at least my current version) doesn't do triplets (you can't set the grid up for anything other than 1/4, 1/8ths, etc) which is IMO a pretty bad ommission. Accents are usually performed by substituting different samples for the accented hits. Maybe some of this has been addressed in 3.0.

I have both the CD's you mentioned, and the only other "rock" loop CD I've found that I really like is the Sampleheads NY City Drumworks, although I'm sure there's some others out there. But even then, I'm always a bit disappointed in the results myself. I'd never consider using them for a finished project, but I prefer the feel over programming on a drum machine or computer - and I (all modesty aside) got fairly good at doing that. I spent a lot of time playing with great drummers and recording great drummers over the years, and I always tried to make the parts as "realistic" as possible - but IMO, for rock stuff, nothing beats a "real" drummer.

I do wish that there was more selection available in sample CD's for "rock" and other styles beyond the usual techno D&B, house, etc. but I suppose they are going to produce things for the greatest market, and let's face it - those are the biggest markets for sample CD's.

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

pokeefe777@msn.com

This message has been edited by BCnth on 05-30-2001 at 01:51 PM

Hi,

Well I used to be very impressed by ACID. Great interface and I loved to foold around with it. It was tru innovation! Version 1.0

But version 2.0 didn't add any real extra's. But it still was impressive.

Verion 3.0. I downloaded the beta a couple of weeks ago and send my report to SF. Didn't like it at all.

I've been emailing with SF for weeks, asking for MIDI support. Now, version 3 has MIDI. Yeah, right!

You can only import MIDI. No controller info, nothing. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

Effect busses: included compressor and all that, but the thing delays the track and there's no offset. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

I now use Reason with Nuendo most of the time. Expensive stuff. But it pays. Reason is just brilliant.

By the way: I think that Sonar has stolen all the goodies from ACID. It's in the same pricetag, so I would choose Sonar!

But I can imagine someone still loving ACID 3.0, but that's not me...

------------------

Archived