Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mic questions

I'm a rookie in recording, i would like to buy only a mic. What mic do you

think will be the best for vocals, aoustic and electric guitar, and brass and woodwinds(I hope i am not asking too much)? I would like something like the Sm58, sm57, beta 58, or bweta57, but which one? What about the AKG C1000S

Rebuilding My Self

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first question is going to be, what's your budget?

I'd say that there's no single mic that is going to be ideal for every item on your list - what I'd choose for vocals would almost certainly differ from what I'd pick for a guitar amp or trumpet.

Probably the most versatile mic on your list is the Shure SM57.

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

pokeefe777@msn.com

Hmm. There's some pretty decent diversity in what you plan to record. Limiting my response to only what you put in your post, I would go with the SM57. It's a good workhorse mic that will almost certainly give you good results with vocals and electric guitar, and should give you workable results with the rest.

-Danny

I would not go with an SM57.. it's gonna suck ass on woodwins, acoustic guitar as well. Brass.. hmm not my kinda sound. Vocal? Yeah, if it's the rock type of vocal.. electric guitar? Yup! *Nothing* better here..

I hate the AKG 1000, but that's just me. I wouldn't use it even if my life depended on it...

I would go with something like an Oktave MK 219. It's gonna need phantom power though. Digital Village in UK is selling them at 99UK£.

One mic for everything is not a good idea, not even a U47 could swing it. The Oktava AND an SM57 will make a killer combo. Later ad a pair of small diaphragm condensers a'la Oktava MC012 and a few more dynamics, perhaps an AKG D112 as well. Then some ribbons, some more large diaphragm condersers, then... uhh..

LOL! Good advice Hiraga. I'd suggest the Oktava 319 over the 219, but your point is absolutely correct - two mics are definitely better than one.. and that being said, you are also correct... it never ends.

Somewhere around 40 mics in my locker and still going... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

If you can stretch your budget a little more, I would strongly suggest a Shure SM-7 (buy a used one if you can't afford new).

The C1000S is not very good IMHO, a 57 is better for vocals & el. gtr but probably not for woodwinds. Another budget alternative for brass & woodwinds would be a used SM-81 (would not cost very much more than a new C1000S BTW).

Yes, get either a SM-7 or a combination of new SM-57 and used SM-81, the amount would be almost equal I think.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

More than 40 mice here too..

The MK 319 is a MK 319 in a fancy dress. Save the maneo and buy an SM57. The SM7 is also quite close (same capsule) to an SM57 but much more expensive. I would get an SM81 over that one.. think. Luv the SM7 though..

Anhyoo, wellcome to AM! (Anonomous Microholics)..

Originally posted by hiraga:

Save the maneo and buy an SM57. The SM7 is also quite close (same capsule) to an SM57 but much more expensive.

Hiraga, are you sure about that the capsule is really identical? I find that hard to believe, especially as it is marketed by Shure as being a large membrane dynamic.

The SM-7 is different sounding from the SM-57, big difference IMHO. And I like & use them both a lot.

Perhaps Nika or Lynn Fuston could clear up this issue?

/Mats

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I like the AKG C1000 mics. I've owned a pair and I've been using them for years. For a limited budget it's a good mic. If you've got more money there are higher end AKGs, Neumanns, Shures and the like. Also, you can't go wrong with an SM 57. It's not a condenser like the AKG, but you can get 2 for the price of one C1000.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

http://www.f7sound.com

For acoustic guitar, I'd agree that a 57 is probably not going to be the best. Depends on your budget. Something that rec.audio.pro and alt.music.4-track participants seem to like in general are the Marshalls. A lot of people seem to feel that they offer an outstanding value for very little money. I have not tried one of these, but I've heard the results of several recordings, and would have to say that I've been impressed.

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

Hey Man, I think Latin is on a budget so a Lawson/KSM32 is a silly suggestion!

Latin go get 1725 mics from anything to everything. That's my goal..

No, Matts I'm not a hundred percent s(h)ure.. Ask Shure(!) or Lynn. It's just an info burried in the back of my head and I can't remember where I got it from. Damn flashbacks... I need more LSD. And yeah, they don't sound alike.

The AKG 1000 is one sucker mutha, but that my opinion.

I still think the only mic below 150USD is the Oktava MK 219. It's VERY versatile, you can stick in front of any source with good to pro results. I have other mics that can do dat, but they're a bit more costly. It'll smoke those whinny shitty Marshalls anyday. Imho.

It's ugly as shit, but it's not your next wife. It's a tool. I think the russkies don't have a word for "design".

On a limited budget I would go with one Oktava MK-219/MK-319 and a SM-57. Not much more versatility than those two mics! I bought an AKG C-1000S and took it back after 2 weeks. Couldnt stand it! YUCK!

P.S. The Oktava MK-319 is just an MK-219 in a different casing. Exact same components.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

I see two negative comments on the AKG C1000S. I picked it up many years ago because use of a 9 volt battery relieved the necessity of phantom power. Now I have phantom power.

What's the beef? It doesn't seem to have much color and doesn't hype anything but does it actually sound bad? I pulled it out for an acoustic guitar overdub recently and seemed to be alright. I would like to get something real good for recording acoustic guitar. There seem to be a lot of support for the Oktava MC012. What is a good small diaphram Neuman for acoustic guitar recording?

When would you go with a large diaphram condenser for recording acoustic guitar? Thanks in advance.

Sir Bob:

I really like the Oktavas a lot, and they're great on acoustic guitar.

as far as Neumanns, the KM54 is great, but expensive! in the "mere mortals can afford a set" class, I'd say a pair of KM84's or KM184's. Personally I prefer the 84's, and find the 184's a bit too bright on the top... but if the guitar is really dark sounding, that might be just what you need.

I tend to use large diaphram condensers on acoustics when it's a song that is either a solo acoustic and vocal thing or when the song is acoustic guitar based instrumentally.... but that's not carved in stone.

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

pokeefe777@msn.com

What would you guys recommend for making warm recordings of a typical female voice , when the voice 's got to stand on its own, some background ambient music appearing here & there .

ps: & on a budget

This message has been edited by Marc Cooreman on 05-27-2001 at 06:35 AM

I exclusively use a modded B&O ribbon for female vox.. sounds damn sexy! I've also liked the Royer for this and the Oktava MK 219(!)

The AKG C1000 sounds VERY coloured, imho. Outright piss poor and I would never use it in any application.

It's no better than a noname 100$ sd condenser mic..

>. What would you guys recommend for making warm recordings of a typical female voice , when the voice 's got to stand on its own, some background ambient music appearing here & there .>>

For applications such as these, I'm using a modded AT4060 through a Peavey VMP-2, and it sounds great for applications such as this. However, this ain't really cheap for someone on a budget.

For cheap, maybe a Rode NT2 might be okay through a decent mic preamp. Check out the Shure KSM32. For cheaper than that, I've heard good things about the Marshall large diaphragm condensers that sell for under $200. Personally, I don't like the sound of the Rode NT1 or the AKG C1000. They sound thinner and more plastic, and I don't feel that they would be flattering for most applications involving voice.

And if anyone can tell me what a "typical female voice" sounds like...

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

Right,

........warm recordings of a typical female voice ......

Sounds a bit er... ,heh ?

In fact i mean sort of average female voice ,not too high, not too low,....

A bit like Madonna, but sexier

This is difficult , i'm already beginning to sweat

And talking about Madonna , what about the quality of these headworn microphones ?

Because on this job it would be perfect - how do they compare to conventional microphones ?

They suck.. compared to a Royer, U47 or whatever fav mic.. they're for stage performance.

Won't be long before you can get 'em with build in Autotune.. haha (well with Neumann and Beyers *digital mics* that sick future aint to far way, I guess..)

Obviusly you dont understood what my point is!!!. I got a CUBASIS VST PACK, and i can do that because it was at $100, which is my monthly salary here in guatemala. I need just USABLE results, with a LESS THAN TWO HUNDRED($200) dollars mic. I just want to share my music, i am not in a profit carrer... music in Guatemala is not a carreer, it is a luxury...
Rebuilding My Self

Latinmusic,

I can certainly understand the ecconomic realities you're faced with, and I for one apologise if I have had a "elitist" attitude regarding your mics and options.

If you have a < $200 budget and want a nice sounding and versatile mic, you might want to look into a Rode NT1. I don't know about your country, but here in the USA they are available for about $180 or so.

Also, the SM57 (on your original list) is a very versatile mic, and IMO, if it can't be recorded with a '57, it can't be recorded! I personally don't think it's always the BEST choice, but it comes as close to being an "all around" mic as anything else out there - especially at that price point.

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

pokeefe777@msn.com

I vote for a SM-57 too! Very versatile.

For what it costs, You can´t go wrong with a 57 - nothing else comes close at the price.

/Mats

Yeah, and that's why I recommended the Oktava MK 219!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99UK£ in Europe + a phantompowersupply SHOULD be within 200USD!!

And it'll smoke a SM57 in 90% of all applications. Some prefer the '57 on snares (I don't) and geetar cabs (I don't), but it CAN be used for both applications. The '57 is NOT that versatile..

And a used '57 can be found for 30USD. If you're on a tight budget I wouldn't buy a new one..

WOW Phil O'Keefe What a studio you have!!!

Thank you for your information, I think that mic is good...but i will need more money for the phantom power... Just curiosity, how much money are in your gear???

Rebuilding My Self

Yes, it's pretty nice - we're very blessed. I couldn't begin to tell you how much money is in all of this stuff (and if you looked at the website, you saw all the OLD stuff - most of that has been upgraded, althoguh the rooms are still pretty much as you see in the pictures). If I had to ballpark what it all cost retail, it's well over the six figure range, and probably into the six figure range for what it is currently "worth". As far as what I've SPENT over the years on gear, you'd realy rather not know...

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

O'Keefe... ok, i am sure i dont want to know...hey! I saw taht you have worked whit many churches... Im a christian. And that is what I try to share: Jesus love. Jesus loves you man, And you will bless when you work in that music that has the holy spirit

Jesus LOVES YOU ALL

Rebuilding My Self

Archived