Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for "Fantasticsound"

Neil, (I think that was your name), I noticed you keep mentioning Nashville. I was wondering, is there much work in Nashville for live sound people that doesn't require extensive travel? I know it is a musical dreamworld there, but that doesnt necassarily mean anything. I'm sure there are many clubs to find work at, but what I want to know about are regional sound companies. The reason I ask is because I am dying to get back into the business, but I can't do the travel thing like I did in my younger days. I'm married now with a 10 year old daughter and I do enjoy being around them. My wife is very close to her family and doesn't want to move back out west with me, and to be honest, I don't want to move back out west again. I only live 3-4 hours from Nashville, so a move like that wouldn't be too bad, we could still get back home frequently to visit with family and friends. I am able to do some free-lance work around here (Frankfort / Lexington / Louisville ,KY) with local bands, but there really isn't enough work to keep my bills paid, and the local small sound co's leave quite a bit to be desired, plus I don't think there is enough work for them either. Anything you can tell me about the business in Nash would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost missed your post! Glad I caught it.

There are many local sound companies in Nashville, including offices/depots for some of the big companies. John McBride joined forces with Clair some years ago. Spectrum Sound, Allstar Audio, The Mitchell Group. I can go on with many more. You'll have to check them out to know what's available. I have been searching for the elusive in town gig myself. Haven't found a good one yet.

Country is in a relative downturn, I've found buddies without work (intown or otherwise). One guy, who works with a national company, moved to their LA office in search of road work. Not enough country music to go around.

Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose in contacting these places.

One other point. I worked local crew for several years, making contacts with whomever came to town. Unfortunately, Crew One arrived(from Atlanta) and underbid everyone. They're hooked up with S/FX, which used to be PACE concerts, which means they control the Arena and Starwood. Problem is, they don't give a &*$%^* how skilled their workers are, and they don't pay enough either. Because they have S/FX, most hands are now at their mercy, and you have to watch your back.

In 1997, I'd say our crew numbered 10-1, skilled vs. unskilled. Based on accounts from guys I trust who have worked for Crew One, it's more like 1 - 6. That spells trouble. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how dangerous a stage can be during load in/out. I say this just in case you are thinking this would be a way to supplement your income while you get known here.

My 2 cents

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

One other point. I worked local crew for several years, making contacts with whomever came to town. Unfortunately, Crew One arrived(from Atlanta) and underbid everyone. They're hooked up with S/FX, which used to be PACE concerts, which means they control the Arena and Starwood. Problem is, they don't give a &*$%^* how skilled their workers are, and they don't pay enough either. Because they have S/FX, most hands are now at their mercy, and you have to watch your back.

I'd be interested in your take on the S/FX takeover thing going on.... I have friends across the country working with various companies but I haven't had a chance to twist their ear on it?

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

I'd be interested in your take on the S/FX takeover thing going on.... I have friends across the country working with various companies but I haven't had a chance to twist their ear on it?

My experience of S/FX is all bad. They've used their national clout to lower rates until the hands make little more than they could flippin' burgers. With Crew One willing to make money at the expense of their hands, they have lowered the quality of work considerably. Of course, outside Nashville, local crew is often college kids looking for a free concert, so they don't value a skilled, experienced crew. Many of the hands on gigs here are overqualified and looking to get their foot in the door with various sound and lighting companies.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived