Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicians or athletes?

Musicians or athletes? Who contributes more to society in all aspects of life?

Is it fair to ask this question, on a music forum?

------------------

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, BE HAPPY! :)

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ViLo:

Is it fair to ask this question, on a music forum?

Yeah, if you expect the answer to be "musicians", which is the correct answer....

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Not necessarily either one. People who care enough to, on their own private level, spend time with a shut in at a nursing home. Volunteer to coach an inner city youth basketball team to give troubled kids something positive to do. People who volunteer to tutor kids. People who mow the widow next door's lawn. People who smile and say hi without worrying whether the smile will be returned. People who'll take a kid whose own family doesn't care into their home. People who sit with anguished parents in an ICU waiting room so they won't be there by themselves. Peace Corps volunteers. People who give of themselves because they've realized that only in giving can they be truly happy. They might be musicians, athletes, mechanics, teachers, laborers, what have you. Those are the people that matter.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Why specifically musicians vs. athletes???

Why not

doctors vs. musicians

or

journalists vs. musicians

or

....etc.

Is this really about the arts vs. sports, and even more so, the focus and value placed on either during the K-through-12 school years?

Contributes more of WHAT to society??? Do you mean which has more redeeming VALUE (VALUE also needs to be defined)?

A lot depends on how you are raised and the environment that you are raised in.

There is a place and need for both in society.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

That is an interesting question. As far as the overall is concerned the answer would be music. It effects mental, physical and spiritual well being whether you are a player or a listener.

In terms of economic impact sports might have the edge.

I used to play baseball when I was younger, but didn't even follow pro ball for about 25 years. Then I began listening to ball games while doing a lot of extensive travelling and got really wrapped up in it.

It wasn't the games as much as the business that intrigued me. I began to see the relationship of creating and marketing a winning team paralelling the successful contruction and marketing of a successful band. They are both entertainment and rely not only on the right combi of players, but in how well you can convince the public to support you.

I am convinced there is much we can learn from the management of professional sports. The club organizations (like the record companies) must be in it for profit and many have succeeded beyond reason in this aspect. But, the competitiveness of the sport has made the players (unlike most musicians) even more wealthy than some of their owners.

Whether you are performing in the national or international marketplace or just locally, there is a lot to be learned from pro sports that can stimulate the finacial bottom line of your musical endeavors. I know, we all rationalize that we are in it for the art, not the money. Bull... I am utilizing what I am learning about sports marketing in promoting my own band and it is becoming way more profitable and fun than I ever had before. You set goals, believe in your product, get the best team together you can, and don't sell yourself short. The more profitable it is the more time and money you have to improve.

When you watch those VH1 stories you realize that few bands ever have any goals or plans. And that is why most of them were short lived. Those who were successful let someone else manage them who stole all the profits while they were out blowing their minds out. If the managers and players in musicdom were as fiscally adept as their sports counterparts our society would be watching Monday Night Concerts instead of Monday Night Football.

Originally posted by miroslav:

Why specifically musicians vs. athletes???

Why not

doctors vs. musicians

or

journalists vs. musicians

or

....etc.

Is this really about the arts vs. sports, and even more so, the focus and value placed on either during the K-through-12 school years?

Contributes more of WHAT to society??? Do you mean which has more redeeming VALUE (VALUE also needs to be defined)?

A lot depends on how you are raised and the environment that you are raised in.

There is a place and need for both in society.

Yeah! I agree, that's fine!

I was just asking.

Vilo

------------------

Originally posted by b3wiz@hotmail.com:

That is an interesting question. As far as the overall is concerned the answer would be music. It effects mental, physical and spiritual well being whether you are a player or a listener.

Exactly! That's what I'm talking about!

Thanks!

ViLo

------------------

If we talk about fusion musicians, we can successfully synthesize the two and end the debate!

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And since we have folks who play synthesizers...

...they (we) must contribute the most.

ViLO, I hope this answers your question. To add a musical dimension to my statement, play that verse from Queen, "We are the champions, WE are the champions...of the world."

I don't know which contributes more to society, but some interesting comparisons:

1. In sports, the absolute best makes the most money. Not true in music.

2. In sports, there's a winner. Not true in music (although there are losers...)

3. A great piece of music is listened to again and again for centuries. Except for occasional highlights, great sports events are not.

4. Public schools and colleges get more money for their athletic programs, and more recognition (How 'bout that North Carolina pep band!).

5. Stars in both can't seem to stay retired.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I don't know which contributes more to society, but some interesting comparisons:

1. In sports, the absolute best makes the most money. Not true in music.

2. In sports, there's a winner. Not true in music (although there are losers...)

3. A great piece of music is listened to again and again for centuries. Except for occasional highlights, great sports events are not.

4. Public schools and colleges get more money for their athletic programs, and more recognition (How 'bout that North Carolina pep band!).

5. Stars in both can't seem to stay retired.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by botch@netutah.net:

There's also some similarities...

Both the athlete and musician spend a lot of time practicing, tuning both their mind and their motor skills towards something to be appreciated by an audience. The end result -- a piece of music or a game -- can make fans and players emotional. The (natural) high you can get from playing or watching either a good game or a piece of music is like nothing else...

I recently read "Running and Being" by George Sheehan (famous running philosopher) which made a good case for sports actually being a form of art.

I don't think sports and music are as different as the original question made them out to be. At least, I don't think they're all that different as far as their contribution to society.

We need both -- the world would be in much worse shape without sports or music.

This message has been edited by popmusic on 05-21-2001 at 03:09 PM

What about Musicians which are also Athletes?

Man... to be able to play (and sing and dance) in a show, you must have a great condition most of all if you do more than a couple of shows weekly ... ask my band buddies... getting daily to the GYM to do some work out is a nightmare. Wanna see the results? click here and go to the bottom of the page... that's the ideal me... no stomach, wrestler type guy... containing breath, also... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sports would be meanless without music. Can you imagine a Superbowl without the mid time show? No way... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

The question seems to be silly, but it was fun to think about it.

GusTraX

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I never drew the distinction. Lee's Kodo link says it all.

We are fortunate to have a kindergarten playground in the courtyard behind our apartment, and a non-stop crew of kids playing soccer right below our kitchen window out front- that's my favorite music these days. Maybe that's some kind of biological sign...

-CB

Why I was so glib is I have been an athlete all my life, played football, baseball, basketball in school, played intramural flag football, raquetball, walleyball, basketball, golf, and volleyball, and now I play a little golf, deep into surfing and mountainbiking. Then there's the typical hippie sports I love...frisbee, hack-a-sack, boomerang. Though I'm not as "in shape" as I was at 23, at 43 I do pretty good. I had to quit basketball, softball, and volleyball to recurring injuries, but I still ride my bikes and bodyboard/longboard every chance I get.

Professional athletes will never get the kind of recognition in history musicians get. We all know Bach, Rimsky Korsakov, etc......doubt anyone can name an athlete of the same periods.

I don't do competition well.......it's against my nature. So I tend to like the sports where it's an indivdual sport......whole lot more fun to me.....and if it ain't fun, I ain't doin it.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by GusTraX:

What about Musicians which are also Athletes?

Man... to be able to play (and sing and dance) in a show, you must have a great condition most of all if you do more than a couple of shows weekly ... ask my band buddies... getting daily to the GYM to do some work out is a nightmare. Wanna see the results? click here and go to the bottom of the page... that's the ideal me... no stomach, wrestler type guy... containing breath, also... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sports would be meanless without music. Can you imagine a Superbowl without the mid time show? No way... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

The question seems to be silly, but it was fun to think about it.

GusTraX

Hey! Gus nice picture man, Viva Veracruz y Coahuila!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I know it was a kind of silly question, but you know, I'm a musician but I also like sports, I used to play football, basketball, volleyball etc., just for fun, but I decided to dedicate more time to music, it seems to me that music has the power to make people happy, sad, angry crazy etc.,it gets in your blood, you can get inside peoples hearts and minds, even with tunes they don't like.

Have you notice that?, I bet you have.

I still get emotional, when somebody dunks the basketball, or somebody scores a gol or a touchdown [specially if is my team http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif] but with music is different, it goes where no ball can go, me entiendes? yo se que si!

Orale, Viva la Musica

ViLo

------------------

Of course I know... it is simply GREAT...

GusTraX

----------------------------------------

I'm coming... Oh Baby... I'm Happy http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived