Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Vivendi Universal uploads MP3 for $370 million"; should I sell my remaining shares?

Universal uploads MP3 for $370 million

Just months after Universal Music Group beat MP3.com to a pulp in federal court over copyright infringement, Universal's Vivendi Universal parent has agreed to buy the embattled Netco in a cash and stock deal worth $372 million."

Should I keep my remaining shares and have them auto-convert or sell them? I'd be taking a hit since I got in at the IPO of $28 but I guess I could write off the loss on my taxes...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

huh, that company was a joke to begin with. they got what they ultimately wanted. i never bought their anti-industry cries, they were just waiting to be bought.

did you really buy stock? i saw it shoot up on IPO and knew it wasnt worth that. it came barreling down as quick as it went up.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

As 1 of the early MP3.com artists, I was offered the IPO price which started at $28. I sold 1/2 (yeah I know what a big dummy I shoulda sold them all but I believed in what they were doing) at $90...still have that 1/2...

Originally posted by kudyba:

As 1 of the early MP3.com artists, I was offered the IPO price which started at $28. I sold 1/2 (yeah I know what a big dummy I shoulda sold them all but I believed in what they were doing) at $90...still have that 1/2...

Fresh Money means your investment is safe by now. You money was actually in risk before of the purchase since somehow they were seeking for foundings. Problem is to know if it is convenient to keep them, against a similar investment in other place.

It depends... how much money do you have right now in it and for how long have you owned them? if you did buy them @$28... and sold (recently?) some for $90 (man!)... the acid test: If it lowers MORE than a 50% of its maximum stock value, (I mean, your safety level would be @$45...) then sell immediately. If not... keep waiting. Fresh money in a company will always be healthy.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I don't have that many shares left--ok I'll spit it out--I have 75 shares left I purchased at $28. Have had them for 2 years now. I sold the other 75 @ $90 on the day they IPO'ed....

Originally posted by kudyba:

I don't have that many shares left--ok I'll spit it out--I have 75 shares left I purchased at $28. Have had them for 2 years now. I sold the other 75 @ $90 on the day they IPO'ed....

A 320% of increment in 2 years is an excellent deal...

You did not mention the current stock value of them. But again, I guess it is a good choice to keep them.

What I was saying was: If they costed 28 and you sold them @90... if your shares value fall below the 60 dollars each, sell them. If not, keep them... seem to be a good deal yet since no bank will give you that in a "normal" investment.

Oh man... I forgot this was a Music forum http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Have a great day. Fresh Money... we all want it !

GusTraX@yahoo.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Just to clarify: They're offering $5 *worth* of Vivendi stock for every MPPP share, not V stock at five bucks per share. In other words, 75 shares of MP3.com at $5 each would convert to around five shares of Vivendi (currently around $68 per share).

Marv

This message has been edited by Marvster on 05-21-2001 at 05:34 PM

Archived