Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The enemy at the gates... more autotune news!

Every company has the right to "toot their own horn" and Antares is no exception, but I find it funny to see how diametrically opposed the tone of their press releases compare to the way autotune is derided on this board.

Here's a link to the article... http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2001/Antares-UAD-1.html

My favorite quote...

"Hailed by the audio press, Auto-Tune has become the worldwide standard for professional pitch correction and one of the world's best-selling audio plug-ins."

Ain't THAT a bitch!

guitplayer

This message has been edited by guitplayer on 05-19-2001 at 03:52 AM

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by guitplayer:

Every company has the right to "toot their own horn" and Antares is no exception, but I find it funny to see how diametrically opposed the tone of their press releases compare to the way autotune is derided on this board.

Ain't THAT a bitch!

guitplayer

I think people talk about auto tune negatively when people "over use" it to tune vocals for someone who just can't sing. A ton of pro studios, engineers and producers do use auto tune. That is a fact. Every company has to sell themselves, so why not toot their own horn. Enough people seem to use it, indicating that their press isn't exactly bullshit.

I think more people use Auto-Tune than they like to admit. It kinda has a reputation of making the impossible happen, which threatens peoples musical integrity. Bottom line is still, "is the song any good?", if not, all the auto-tune in the world is not gonna help you.

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

I don't think anyone on the board has a real problem with autotune per se, but with the people who misuse it, or attempt to use it as a substitute for talent.

And it HAS been hailed in the press in terms of reviews, because it's damn good at what it does. I was certainly impressed when I checked it out. But I never saw using it to turn some no-talent into a big rock star. It always seemed more for that time when you had a GREAT vocal performance except for that one note...

It does have other uses, too. I particularly liked Mark Vail putting a theremin through one so he could "quantize" the notes as well as do the normal sliding thing.

Originally posted by Anderton:

But I never saw using it to turn some no-talent into a big rock star. B]

Craig -

You don't need Autotune for that. People have been doing that on the pop charts for years. Remember the 'Archies'? Not only no-talent, they were not even people at all! There certainly are hundreds of other examples in pop history (Alvin & the Chipmunks) - though I'll refrain from naming current acts; we all know who they are!

- Philbo

The autotune unit can save an otherwise botched take. I worked with a pedal steel player who was a hair flat at times, and the engineer suggested that we try it on his track. He said that if we didn't like it, we didn't have to use it. When we rerecorded his track through it, the song just "snapped into place". It was amazing! We still had all of the nuances of his playing; it just tweaked the notes that needed tweaking. It's also good for fixing those minor tuning differences you get between two or more instruments. It gets them all singing in the same key, so to speak. Of course, I agree that this is no substitute for musical talent, but it really can clean up an otherwise "slightly imperfect" track, saving studio time and studio dollars. And at $600, it's worth every penny. The plug-in is only $200 and even comes in a freeware full-product trial version that allows you to use it 8-10 times before it locks you out. I plan on getting the rack unit for my home studio.

------------------

Don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses. Everyone likes a waitress with big tips...

Don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses. Everyone likes a waitress with big tips...

Archived