Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to shift the focus from the stage to the audience?

Well, ol' Craig mentioned on the "The Kids...are they allright?" thread that these days what it takes is not for musicians to make themselves the focus of the show..but to rather make the AUDIENCE the focus. Okay...as I mentioned, usually the onus has been on the performer to "jump around" "be entertaining" "have huge light and pyrotechnic shows" etc...well, our band does things like parts where the band breaks so the audience can sing...I think a lot of bands do that. But aside to the obvious...what are ways where we can turn more of the focus on the audience during our performances?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm not sure about this focus-change thingy...

My feeling is that if I take the time to go to a show, and spend my hard-earned money getting there, and I'm willing to put up with the occasional wankers that also show up, I damn well better be entertained.

I'm serious. I want sweat, effort, and hard work, and I wanna know that the performer is giving his all. I want my money's worth.

In one band I was in (Sexual Leverage), we were the first band I know of that threw condoms into the crowd. Some audience members would blow them up and toss them around.

We would also have the 'Ugliest Attendee" contest, where we would pick someone out of the crowd and buy them their choice of beverage.(all in good fun!)

Things that make ya go hmmm...

Steve

>>I'm serious. I want sweat, effort, and hard work, and I wanna know that the performer is giving his all. I want my money's worth.<<

Well, that's a good start on focusing on the audience.

To amplify what I said, I don't think it's necessary to yell out "Hello Detroit" (particularly if you're in, say, Philadelphia ) or do those phony audience-baiting techniques which, to me, indicate a LACK of respect for the audience ("Are you having a good time?" [pause] "I can't HEAR you!"). Mainly, it's a question of respecting the audience. The reason this came to mind with DJs is they are there solely to move the crowd and create an experience for them. Sure, the DJs need to get off too, because that adds to the excitement. But a lot of bands have an attitude of "well we won't play our hit because we're tired of it" and while I appreciate that sentiment, then it's up to the band to find that spark that made them like the tune in the first place. I mean, Sting must have done Roxanne a zillion times, but I've never seen him do it in a perfunctory manner.

A band that can turn a concert into a communal event will do the best. A band that acts like it's rehearsing, but there happen to be people around, will certainly make me head for the door -- even if it's a good rehearsal.

Craig said...

>>>I mean, Sting must have done Roxanne a zillion times, but I've never seen him do it in a perfunctory manner.

So, does this mean if we're a local cover bar band, we have to do "Turn the Old Time Freebird Page" and act like we like it???

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Something to consider... Some styles of music are inherently more audience-centric than others.

I mean, look at disco -- All the lyrics are encouraging the audience to dance and participate, and it's generally about *them*. Techno is kinda cut from a similar cloth...

But, if you're doing rock, I agree with the previous posters... a band that's really into it, up there sweating, making eye contact with the audience, and communicating in a non-condescending way with the audience does it for me.

It should feel like the band is sharing the joy of performance... And if they're not really feeling any joy that night, they have to be good at faking it! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

When ya talk to the audience between songs, do it like you're talking to a couple of old friends standing around on a street corner. I always found that worked like a charm. Other than that, just sing and play your heart out. That always suffices for me, no matter what kind of music you play.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Originally posted by Calfee Jones:

In response to a request hollered to the stage I once heard Maria Muldaur reply "I think you'll like the one we are going to play next, it has alot of the same notes."

LMFAO!!!!!

Awesome. I gotta remember (steal) That one.

Steve

Archived